New Google Translate feature lets you use your smartphone camera to translate Thai

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

’s really easy to use - just open the Translate app on your smartphone, select the ‘Camera’ option and take a photo of the Thai text you wish to translate. 

Bet it won't translate my bird's writing .. even her own mother has trouble and she's a schoolteacher ..

A news headline:

"Koh Tao, the daughter of a prostitute, was raped by a prostitute"

Room for improvement :biggrin:

But the OCR ("reading" the Thai text) looks good.

(although under an ideal condition in my example)

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thai is a fringe language for Google so the translations are so-so. It'll come though as the system learns and soon you'll be able to understand what the somtam seller mutters under her breath about farangs by using the real time translator. It's going to be a revelation to some.

They say, I wish i had the courage to dress like a farang and not worry what people think.

1 minute ago, tandor said:
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh, I initially thought it meant google could now lip-read, which I thought might be interesting in a short-time room...

..all you need to know is 'how much'.

Those weren't the lips I was thinking of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is utter <deleted> with Thai. It is ok with words but when doing longer text it turns into nonsense

i have thai freinds on facebook, pressing the translate does not make the reading any easier, yes it comes up in english but for the most part unintelligible 

The poor performance of Thai language translation (Facebook, Google, etc.) is a direct result of 2 things.

1. so few native Thai speakers being competent in linguistics

2. Thai being a fringe and entirely unimportant language in any context (science, math, number of speakers, literature, poetry, etc.). It is an inconsequential language.

Nothing to do with Google or Facebook.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cookieqw said:

i have thai freinds on facebook, pressing the translate does not make the reading any easier, yes it comes up in english but for the most part unintelligible 

Keep in mind that the "translate" function on Facebook is not "Google" translate.

I thought they were using Bing but it may be their own "in house" translation. I have the Google Translate extension enabled so when I see Thai text I can highlight it and click the little "G" icon that pops up and Google will translate the highlighted text in a pop-up box.

Almost every - single - time it comes out differently that what the "Facebook" translation gives me. I think the people that do the programming are clueless when it comes to "tonal" languages (or just don't comprehend that one word could have 5 different meanings depending on the tone). I think they just pick whichever word is at the top of the list of possibles and use that as the "default".

Google Translate also goes with a "default" translation and once it decides that something means "this" that is it. (Unless you are proficient enough in Thai to make a suggestion and it is accepted.)