Why are new cars available in so few colours?

Ombra

While I was searching for the location of a Honda dealer, I accidentally opened the website of Honda USA and I saw that the CRV is offered in nine colours (I think). Honda Thailand offers only four and it made me wonder why the range of colours of cars made in Thailand (with the exception, perhaps, of the Nissan March) is so small. I know that some trucks have bright colours, but I was thinking of Honda and Toyota cars. I'd be grateful for the views of a motoring expert.

• Haha 1

It's not only about the colors but also about the "grades"/"packages".

Even for the million seller Toyota Vios there are only four grades.

BMW Germany: 12 colors. Black +0 Euro, ...., some metallic gray +1250 Euro.

With the "configurator" you can spend the day. Countless grades and packages.

Base price + 50% is not unusual.

In Germany a car can be ordered with manual transmission and no AC.

Toyota Thailand: all auto and of course AC.

Reason?

What other than cost?

High number of prefabricated parts, less logistic costs?

Just not that demand for personalized car.

And in Thailand for the 1250 Euro ~ 47000 Baht for the BMW color you can likely get your car repainted to your one and only personal favorite.

And don't forget to register the changed color in the car's blue book :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

A few colours or a model choice is all we got.

Isuzu do quite few colours I liked the blue/silver metallic but they wouldn't give us the colour in the model we wanted.

White was no extra but I hate white so we had to pay an additional 7000 baht on the choice of the other 3 colours.

I wounder why there was so many white vehicle on the road here. 

Edited by Kwasaki

7 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Thais were keen on Black once, Now they go for Silver. They dont Soak up Heat as much, silver reflects a bit more and shows less paint swirly

I can fry a egg on our silver truck but it use to cook much quicker on our black truck.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, transam said:

The locals seem to like Silver, so why bother to tool up for a zillion colours...

I hate silver rides...????

Taste changes.

I am pretty certain that during my purchase (2011) white color was the favorite.

For pickups black seems to be the current favorite?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve asked this question a number of times in various dealerships. They always says say Thai people don’t want other colours. I always say how do you know if you don’t offer them other colours. They don’t know what to say to that.

Well just perhaps the locals are not adventurous regarding colours...

When I bought my truck new I wanted blue, which was in the brochure, there was a lot of scratching of heads back then....Anyhooooo, after they made a few phone calls they came back with you must wait a month till they tool up for a run of that colour....I was OK with that, even gave my collection day...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

They always says say Thai people don’t want other colours.

I bet they are afraid of red and yellow (at least)

A red Ranger?  Brave.:biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigT73 said:

White used to be popular back home as it was cheaper then metallic painted cars and also easier / cheaper to fix scratches or minor scuffs.

Dont mention Scratches here please, they bang on about them worse than IDPs, and Oil Changes.:post-4641-1156693976:.  White suits some Cars, as does Black, i think a Black Accord looks Civic size compared to a White  Camry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cars are sprayed mainly by robots in a spray tunnel. Each time the colour is changed the guns have to be cleaned and the booth also has to be cleaned. either they have to keep a stock of various coloured cars which costs money (unsold inventory) or they have to regularly clean (more cost). Selling reduced number of colours helps with these problems. By the way in the spray areas people are only allowed to wear certain cosmetics, deodorants and use perfumes to protect the finish of the paint.

Basically a matter of cost, I think. If everyone has black or white or silver (and, let's face it, most 4-wheel vehicles here are one or the other of those 3), then it's cheaper to produce.

Ask for a different colour (we got a red new Mazda 3 sporty model 2 years ago) and you pay more. Take it or leave it.

• Confused 1

Thais seem to prefer white, black or silver. Some people tell me they don't want a car that stands out (for example yellow or red), because it is too easy for their friends, wives or husbands to see if their car is somewhere it should not be.

For example, a friend rings up to say he saw the husband's car parked at a 24 hour hotel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honda in the Philippines, where there are no Buddhist monks to satisfy, offers the same four colours for the Accord as Honda in Thailand, whereas in Malaysia there is a fifth: a nice blue. It could be, as Ulic suggests, that in a relatively young market Honda doesn't need to offer too much. Personally, though, I like Stevemercer's anonymity argument.

BMW offer certain cars in thailand (the X1 for example) in Estoril Blue, one of the best colours ever made and hugely popular worldwide. I see plenty of X1s on the road but only ever black or white. So totally agree with the other comments, even if other colours are offered, no one buys them. As for why? Who knows - baffles me ......

Many reasons are possible:

1. They paint the same color until the pot is empty and maybe they bought big pots... very big pots... very very big pots!
  2. Clearance at Home Pro's paint department.
  3. The painter is colorblind.

And maybe next step will be one color per year. Next year all cars blue.

:cheesy:

• Haha 1