Worse Time at Bangkok Immigration

17 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Disgraceful way to behave towards expats who bring in good money in this country.....time to consider relocation to friendlier VietNam, Philippines, Malaysia etc (or any other neighbouring country) for those who can manage it.

What would you suggest to those who can't manage it?

• Like 2

The OP waited 7 hours and more and I am wondering if there is some ways to ease the boredom of such a wait.

Now seems to be the case he must appear in person to get his ticket to be seen but after that there is no obligation for him to remain until his turn is called, right?

And if for example he is number 472 and they are only on number 72 then its likely the wait will be around 4 hours+ or so...correct?

is there somewhere he can go nearby which is more comfortable that inside the concrete jungle? if so where?

Could an arrangement be made for someone to let him know when its near his turn, so he can go to relax somewhere nearby until his number called..?

Does anyone know if there is some fast track procedure?

What are the best days and times to go which might avoid waiting around all day?

Any other suggestions..?

• Haha 1

The OP waited 7 hours and more and I am wondering if there is some ways to ease the boredom of such a wait.
Now seems to be the case he must appear in person to get his ticket to be seen but after that there is no obligation for him to remain until his turn is called, right?
And if for example he is number 472 and they are only on number 72 then its likely the wait will be around 4 hours+ or so...correct?
is there somewhere he can go nearby which is more comfortable that inside the concrete jungle? if so where?
Could an arrangement be made for someone to let him know when its near his turn, so he can go to relax somewhere nearby until his number called..?
Does anyone know if there is some fast track procedure?
What are the best days and times to go which might avoid waiting around all day?
Any other suggestions..?

There is no where interesting to go. It's in an industrial estate so may as well sit there
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy ????

Both ways for sure...Thai have studied English how long?  Expats have studied Thai how long?  However, the process that is the Immigration paper shuffle, continues to move the piles of baht... 

Work permits have the same processes and characters as well.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

First day after a 4 day holiday, always a problem at Immigration.

I thought it was a 3 day long weekend. King's birthday was on Saturday so Monday was the substituted day. Was Friday also a public holiday? I generally avoid Mondays, Fridays and any other day that falls right before/after a public holiday. Next up is Chulalongkorn Day on Tuesday 23rd. If you're due in that week, Thursday is your friend.

Yes, I was there Tuesday also .

But I arrived 07.30 knowing it was a day after a holiday.

Quite a typical day.

Renewing retirement visa two new things I noticed:

1. I had to draw a basic map also. Buddha knows why as Google maps would bring it up much more accurately if you type in my address.

2. As I'm British I asked about the money in the bank next year, not having the option any more of the embassy income letter. The woman said I would not be able to show monthly income of 65,000 pm in a Thai bank book. 'Only 800,000 baht'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Disgraceful way to behave towards expats who bring in good money in this country.....time to consider relocation to friendlier VietNam, Philippines, Malaysia etc (or any other neighbouring country) for those who can manage it.

Well off you go old chap and please let us all know how you enjoy life in your new country, having visited each of those countries several times I think I will remain here.

Renewed my Reirement Extension and multiple re-entry permit last week took all of about twenty minutes, shocking inconvenience once a year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

What would you suggest to those who can't manage it?

If I wasn't married I would seriously consider it, But I still say that despite Thai immigrations contempt

of expats, Thailand is still much better to live in than the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy ????

☹️

I dont have to go there anymore, but before when i had to i went there 05:00 in the morning. almost nobody there ,maybe if unlucky your the fourth in line ,but then you just leave an umbrella or whatever to point out your spot go downstairs for a coffee or whatever. ok its also a 3.5 hour wait but when they open your out within an hour. or maybe get a motorbike taxi in your neighborhood that you know, go there for you at 5am and put something there ,so you can arrive at 08:15 and just walk in at 08:30 and be done within the hour .

• Sad 1

Chiang Mai sounds like a nightmare. Supposedly there are 10,000 or more expats living there. Even Phuket is quicker than that.....fastest time for 90 day was one minute. But Korat is even better. Just did one year extension in 50 mins without having to return for the passport next day.....all finished that day. And the lady immigration officer kindly showed me in my passport when the next extension was due, and also my next 90 day report date. Immigration has even been opening on Saturday mornings to see if it is more convenient for farang. So it doesn't have to be a big pain in the asspidestra. But please don't move here....Grin!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kjun12 said:

At one time there were only only two agents working desks and at least 500 people waiting to get visa extensions.

Do you guys in Bangkok have to show up at 4am in the morning and stand in line to get a queue number to be seem later in the day, and if you aren't one of the lucky few, to be turned away and told to come back the following day?  This is SOP for Chiang Mai. 

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Do you guys in Bangkok have to show up at 4am in the morning and stand in line to get a queue number to be seem later in the day, and if you aren't one of the lucky few, to be turned away and told to come back the following day?

Not in Bangkok.

First they give out queue numbers to get a number at the desk that give them out if there before they open. If you get there before 3:30 pm they will give you a number and they will keep working until everybody is served.

• Like 1