Jump to content

Worse Time at Bangkok Immigration


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, malibukid said:

does anyone know if one could extend a retirement visa in KL?

Embassies and consulates only issue new visas they do not extend them. Visas cannot be extended anywhere.

Immigration can extend a permit to stay but not a visa.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the OP showed up on a bad day especially if there were only two immigration officers doing extensions....normally they have 4 to 6 processing extension during my yearly visits.  And the OP also showed up 30 minutes after opening time which ensured  he would be at the back of the line/have a very high queue number. 

 

And I bet if the OP had to show us a picture of those 3 forms "with no English on them" he couldn't because those 3 forms do have some small print English in the important areas.  The map thing is relatively new at Bangkok Immigration....I didn't have to provide one when extending in Aug 17 (and all previous years) but did in Aug 18.  

 

I've done 9 retirement extensions of stay at Bangkok immigration....latest one in Aug 18....I've always been done and finished by around 11am....good for another year.  I show up a little before opening time (8:30am).   After I get my queue number I go down to the bank in the building and get my bank letter proving 800K in the bank...then back up to immigration to wait for my number to be called.    Your results may vary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

What would you suggest to those who can't manage it?

Well, at least two real good options--1) you can just sit here and bitch about it or 2) sit here and claim to love it

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm British I asked about the money in the bank next year, not having the option any more of the embassy income letter. The woman said I would not be able to show monthly income of 65,000 pm in a Thai bank book. 'Only 800,000 baht'.

So much for all the BS nonsense spouted by the Embassy claiming to have reached agreement with them that monthly Thai bank account statements would suffice in lieu of the soon-to-be-discontinued income letter, then! I therefore suggest that you email the "lovely" Leanne Galloway at the Embassy to point out that what you were told runs completely counter to what she stated in the recent Fabulous 103FM interview:-

 

 

Edit: sorry, nice try.

Edited by OJAS
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is only one day a year for the most important document to stay here and you got home for dinner.

There are worst things in the world and life to go through.

Rea Chiang Mai.  I drove past it this morning a little before 9am and there must have been 100 people in a big cluster outside the front.  Guess the new office is not helping much?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blackhorse said:
5 hours ago, R123 said:
 
The OP waited 7 hours and more and I am wondering if there is some ways to ease the boredom of such a wait.
Now seems to be the case he must appear in person to get his ticket to be seen but after that there is no obligation for him to remain until his turn is called, right?
And if for example he is number 472 and they are only on number 72 then its likely the wait will be around 4 hours+ or so...correct?
is there somewhere he can go nearby which is more comfortable that inside the concrete jungle? if so where?
Could an arrangement be made for someone to let him know when its near his turn, so he can go to relax somewhere nearby until his number called..?
Does anyone know if there is some fast track procedure?
What are the best days and times to go which might avoid waiting around all day?
Any other suggestions..?
 
 
 
 

There is no where interesting to go. It's in an industrial estate so may as well sit there

That chaengwattana complex has a big foodcourt and many restaurants....it's also close to IT-square mall at the opposit side of the road. There's a Foodland with restaurant and much more.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blackhorse said:
5 hours ago, R123 said:
 
The OP waited 7 hours and more and I am wondering if there is some ways to ease the boredom of such a wait.
Now seems to be the case he must appear in person to get his ticket to be seen but after that there is no obligation for him to remain until his turn is called, right?
And if for example he is number 472 and they are only on number 72 then its likely the wait will be around 4 hours+ or so...correct?
is there somewhere he can go nearby which is more comfortable that inside the concrete jungle? if so where?
Could an arrangement be made for someone to let him know when its near his turn, so he can go to relax somewhere nearby until his number called..?
Does anyone know if there is some fast track procedure?
What are the best days and times to go which might avoid waiting around all day?
Any other suggestions..?
 
 
 
 

There is no where interesting to go. It's in an industrial estate so may as well sit there

It's not "in an industrial estate". 

Edited by orchis
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If I wasn't married I would seriously consider it, But I still say that despite Thai immigrations contempt

of expats, Thailand is still much better to live in than the UK.

And despite the British Embassy's contempt of expats, as exemplified by their ridiculous decision to pull the plug on issuing income confirmation letters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Disgraceful way to behave towards expats who bring in good money in this country.....time to consider relocation to friendlier VietNam, Philippines, Malaysia etc (or any other neighbouring country) for those who can manage it.

I made the move to the Philippines, no regrets, come back to Thailand for holidays two months a year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And despite the British Embassy's contempt of expats, as exemplified by their ridiculous decision to pull the plug on issuing income confirmation letters.

That's just one of a few reasons.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kopitiam said:
6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Disgraceful way to behave towards expats who bring in good money in this country.....time to consider relocation to friendlier VietNam, Philippines, Malaysia etc (or any other neighbouring country) for those who can manage it.

What would you suggest to those who can't manage it?

Show some balls and politely insist on a translation before you sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

 

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy 😉

The reasons why a person cannot read or speak Thai are irrelevant. There's no excuse to sign a document you can't read. If the person can read it, sign it. If they can't, ask for a translation or to speak to someone who can. If this problem occurs upon every visit to the immigration office, bring a translator with you next time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I had the non pleasure of visiting the Bangkok immigration office for a visa extension.  It was my worse time there in 14 years I have had to go there and I was there from 9 AM until 4 PM.  At one time there were only only two agents working desks and at least 500 people waiting to get visa extensions.

 

Holy hell, that's crazy!!! What type of visa extension? Tourist visa? Ed Visa?

 

There's always only 2 officers taking the paperwork and passports, then one at the back processing it, then one officer giving it back to you. That's for a tourist visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm British I asked about the money in the bank next year, not having the option any more of the embassy income letter. The woman said I would not be able to show monthly income of 65,000 pm in a Thai bank book. 'Only 800,000 baht'.

So much for all the BS nonsense spouted by the Embassy claiming to have reached agreement with them that monthly Thai bank account statements would suffice in lieu of the soon-to-be-discontinued income letter, then! I therefore suggest that you email the "lovely" Leanne Galloway at the Embassy to point out that what you were told runs completely counter to what she stated in the recent Fabulous 103FM interview:-

 

 

 

I wouldn't take much notice of what that IO said to Andyfez. I doubt she has a clue what he's on about and the new, soon to be implemented BE policy.

 

The whole idea that they should accept monthly income deposits in lieu of an 800k deposit is ludicrous anyway. It would be exceptionally easy to game the system. The 800k needs to be seasoned for 3 months meaning they don't even trust people who make the big annual deposit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've resided in Thailand since 2001 and have never signed a document in the Thai language unless it was translated into English.
 
It's not nonsense, it's common sense which obviously you don't possess.
It's total nonsense. You have never had a bank account WITHOUT your lawyer /translator present on a hefty retainer?

No bar girl wives don't count as translators.
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I've resided in Thailand since 2001 and have never signed a document in the Thai language unless it was translated into English.

 

It's not nonsense, it's common sense which obviously you don't possess.

I don't believe ignorance is an acceptable excuse in court in Thailand. If you have signed a document, the judge will assume you understood it. Case closed. You would think that most adults know that if you sign a document, it's assumed that you've read and understood it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

It's total nonsense. You have never had a bank account WITHOUT your lawyer /translator present on a hefty retainer?

No bar girl wives don't count as translators.

It would be much better to have a bar girl with you to help you understand it than just sign it like you obviously do. Even a basic idea is better than no idea at all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be much better to have a bar girl with you to help you understand it than just sign it like you obviously do. Even a basic idea is better than no idea at all.

Only a farang on TV would bar fine a bar girl who probably can't even read cartoons to proof read and translate an mmigration document

 

BAHAHAHAHA [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Obviously you don't live in Thailand and had never to deal with any government offices, banks or insurances... Otherwise you would know better than utter such nonsense.

You want a visa / extension / bank account etc? You WILL sign any form they give to you or otherwise say goodbye to Thailand. Simple as that.

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Excellent! Sign anything, deny it later if necessary. Documents here are not binding, they're MoUs, intention of sincerity. Smile, plead drunkenness, or angry wife, and it'll be Ok. new farang can be most irritating for everyone.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Well off you go old chap and please let us all know how you enjoy life in your new country, having visited each of those countries several times I think I will remain here.

Renewed my Reirement Extension and multiple re-entry permit last week took all of about twenty minutes, shocking inconvenience once a year.

All depends where you live, dear fellow.

 

As you have read my post with full understanding and attention, you may have noticed my syntax suggests a statement in general and was absoutely not a reflect of a personal wish. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tropo said:

The reasons why a person cannot read or speak Thai are irrelevant. There's no excuse to sign a document you can't read. If the person can read it, sign it. If they can't, ask for a translation or to speak to someone who can. If this problem occurs upon every visit to the immigration office, bring a translator with you next time.

To be fair I didn't comment on the reasons, just wanted to get the point across that someone spending 14 years in a foreign country maybe should consider to learn the language rather than expect to be served in his own native language.

I for one would appreciate if foreigners in my own country would make that effort.

Edited by ThailandLOS
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that long stayers should speak some thai, but immigration officers have to deal with people who have been here only a short time aswell, and i would have thought at least some basic english would be a requirement of the job.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...