Jump to content

Worse Time at Bangkok Immigration


Recommended Posts

Absolutely correct. I had the same experience last week, it was 5.30 pm by the time I got the extension. Usually I then go to the other side to get the re-entry multiple entry stamp, but even though I had a token the lady wouldn't accept it. Yes, the new forms are for you to specofically acknowledge the terms of your visa extension, some guarantee/ indemnity type form. And yes, I was also asked to draw a sketch of the exact location of my condo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

Absolutely correct. I had the same experience last week, it was 5.30 pm by the time I got the extension. Usually I then go to the other side to get the re-entry multiple entry stamp, but even though I had a token the lady wouldn't accept it. Yes, the new forms are for you to specofically acknowledge the terms of your visa extension, some guarantee/ indemnity type form. And yes, I was also asked to draw a sketch of the exact location of my condo. 

Are there new T.M.7 forms now for 30 day extensions? Can we no longer use the old forms as I have a few of them so I can fill them in at home instead to be quicker of having to get a form at immigration and fill it in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Are there new T.M.7 forms now for 30 day extensions? Can we no longer use the old forms as I have a few of them so I can fill them in at home instead to be quicker of having to get a form at immigration and fill it in there.

There has been a new TM7 form since January of last year. Download and complete this Fillable TM7 form.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

 

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy 😉

Do you speak Thai fluently?  Just wondering.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Renewed my Reirement Extension and multiple re-entry permit last week took all of about twenty minutes, shocking inconvenience once a year.

Are you saying that it took only 20 minutes at immigration to do this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HHTel said:

The map has been a requirement for some time now.  I always print off the map from Google.

I concur. I was asked to provide a map for my retirement visa at the immigration office in Chiang Mai last year and in Udon Thani 6 years ago. Maybe the new boss is making all the different immigration offices (including Changwatanna) follow this requirement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, orchis said:

It's not "in an industrial estate". 

Perhaps not industrial but certainly a governmental estate with nothing to do.  Besides, if you leave you risk missing your place in line.  What then?  Start over?

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

 

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy 😉

 

18 hours ago, Rhys said:

 

 

Both ways for sure...Thai have studied English how long?  Expats have studied Thai how long?  However, the process that is the Immigration paper shuffle, continues to move the piles of baht... 

 

Work permits have the same processes and characters as well.

I have lived in Thailand for more than 30 years (apart for overseas work) and I don't speak Thai except the usual greetings, apologies and the ability to count money. I get by quite well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

All depends where you live, dear fellow.

 

As you have read my post with full understanding and attention, you may have noticed my syntax suggests a statement in general and was absoutely not a reflect of a personal wish. 

I live in a great part of Thailand old chap with everything I need including beautiful scenery, very amenable climate, very friendly people and helpful Immigration office.

So as stated earlier I will not be moving anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

To be fair I didn't comment on the reasons, just wanted to get the point across that someone spending 14 years in a foreign country maybe should consider to learn the language rather than expect to be served in his own native language.

I for one would appreciate if foreigners in my own country would make that effort.

I don't speak or read Thai for many reasons, but I'm not going to apologize. My wife is not Thai and where I live it's very easy to get by without it... and immigration in Jomtien have always provided English translation on forms on the odd occasion they wanted me to sign.

 

Whether you can read Thai or not, it doesn't change the situation one bit. If you can't read it, don't sign it. I doubt many of you speakers can read it. If you can, I'm impressed.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Only a farang on TV would bar fine a bar girl who probably can't even read cartoons to proof read and translate an mmigration document

 

BAHAHAHAHA emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

 

Allow me to remind you of your original comment:

 

"No bar girl wives don't count as translators"

 

You were talking about wives, not bar fines. Even having someone with rudimentary Thai reading skills is better than being totally ignorant. I'm not suggesting it, but it's a lot better than having no idea about what you're signing.

 

Just keep on signing forms you cannot read - that's your caper... but none of your comments will entice wise people to sign forms they can't read. There is no good excuse for doing that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There has been a new TM7 form since January of last year. Download and complete this Fillable TM7 form.pdf

 

9 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Absolutely correct. I had the same experience last week, it was 5.30 pm by the time I got the extension. Usually I then go to the other side to get the re-entry multiple entry stamp, but even though I had a token the lady wouldn't accept it. Yes, the new forms are for you to specofically acknowledge the terms of your visa extension, some guarantee/ indemnity type form. And yes, I was also asked to draw a sketch of the exact location of my condo. 

There has been no new TM7 forms at all. I've been using the same ones for the past few years as I just ask them for a bunch of them (about 6 forms) when I went there before. In fact, today I did my 30 day extension and used the old form but just to make sure, I went to the counter and asked for a TM7 form to make sure it's the same, and yes it's the exact same one as I've been using for the past few years. This is for BKK.

 

No idea where @captpkapoor is but there's no "guarantee/indemnity type form" and they don't ask you to "draw a sketch of the exact location of your condo" lol...I guess that he's not based in BKK then but must be asked for somewhere in the provinces.

 

Mind you, the line to do a 30 day tourist visa extension was like HELL today. Took over 6 hours from getting a queue number!

Edited by bbi1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry, but that is possibly the worst piece of advice I have ever seen given out on this forum. Sign something you can't read and don't understand. As a prison visitor for ten years, who has had to deal with the consequences of people doing just that and ending up in prison, without understanding why, I have to bawl you out. I have had multiple cases of people being told sign this and you can go home, only to find they just pleaded guilty and are off to jail. They can't even appeal the conviction, because they pleaded guilty.

The judge will rightly say that you were legally  entitled to a translation, but chose not to do so.

I choose my words very carefully here: Only a complete idiot ever signs anything that he does not understand fully, especially here.

Suggesting that people should blithely sign whatever is put in front of them, and to trust that all will be well, is the sort of rot I would expect from someone who has been here 10 minutes.

Please don't ever encourage such a dangerously stupid move again.

 

3

Well put!!

 

Regarding your comment:

 

"Only a complete idiot ever signs anything that he does not understand fully, especially here."

 

 The comment you replied to received 37 likes and 5 thanks. There are a lot of idiots here who blindly sign anything put in front of them.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tropo said:

I don't speak or read Thai for many reasons, but I'm not going to apologize. My wife is not Thai and where I live it's very easy to get by without it... and immigration in Jomtien have always provided English translation on forms on the odd occasion they wanted me to sign.

 

Whether you can read Thai or not, it or not doesn't change the situation one bit. If you can't read it, don't sign it. I doubt many of you speakers can read it. If you can, I'm impressed.

I think sure most decent farang Thai speaker have learn to read the basic Thai level.

at least enough to not mix what sound the same to new learner, such as ฉัน and ขัน.

 

Try to learn Thai written in English is ok but never gonna work good,

BUT reading and understanding a COMPLETE Thai document is on a whole different level!
only the best can do
I cannot imagine to live here so long and not even try, its like you will be like the tourist everywhere you go!
For me, hard to respect anyone who wanna live in my country 10years but not even try!
up to you tho no judgement!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

There has been no new TM7 forms at all. I've been using the same ones for the past few years as I just ask them for a bunch of them (about 6 forms) when I went there before. In fact, today I did my 30 day extension and used the old form but just to make sure, I went to the counter and asked for a TM7 form to make sure it's the same, and yes it's the exact same one as I've been using for the past few years. This is for BKK.

The form I posted is different from the old ones. You might want to do a side beside comparison. Look at the 2nd page and you will see there are changes to the notices (no 1900 baht fee mentioned). Also the photo rectangle has the size in english now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I think sure most decent farang Thai speaker have learn to read the basic Thai level.

at least enough to not mix what sound the same to new learner, such as ฉัน and ขัน.

 

Try to learn Thai written in English is ok but never gonna work good,

BUT reading and understanding a COMPLETE Thai document is on a whole different level!
only the best can do
I cannot imagine to live here so long and not even try, its like you will be like the tourist everywhere you go!
For me, hard to respect anyone who wanna live in my country 10years but not even try!
up to you tho no judgement!

LOL> it sounded like judgement. I don't care too much about what other people are thinking about me or whether they respect me or not for not speaking Thai... neither would I care if immigrants to my home country couldn't read or speak my language after 10 years. I just don't put my nose into other people's affairs. I'm actually a non-immigrant here, and for the time I've been here I've never known how long I was going to stay... kind of like having only one foot in the door at all times. You hit the nail on the head with the tourist comment. I really like being a tourist everywhere I go. I've lived my entire life in tourist resorts where people assume you're a tourist even if you're not. My wife, also a tourist, really appreciates NOT being able to understand the gossip of Thai people all around us. What you don't understand doesn't concern you. It's like a vacation all year round.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 
 
Both ways for sure...Thai have studied English how long?  Expats have studied Thai how long?  However, the process that is the Immigration paper shuffle, continues to move the piles of baht... 
 
Work permits have the same processes and characters as well.
14 years surrounded by Thai language should have helped you understand Thai.

Thai people may have studied English for many years, but many of them hardly ever hear or use English.
Those that work with foreigners daily tend to pick up their language skills quite quickly.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, R123 said:

 

The OP waited 7 hours and more and I am wondering if there is some ways to ease the boredom of such a wait.

Now seems to be the case he must appear in person to get his ticket to be seen but after that there is no obligation for him to remain until his turn is called, right?

And if for example he is number 472 and they are only on number 72 then its likely the wait will be around 4 hours+ or so...correct?

is there somewhere he can go nearby which is more comfortable that inside the concrete jungle? if so where?

Could an arrangement be made for someone to let him know when its near his turn, so he can go to relax somewhere nearby until his number called..?

Does anyone know if there is some fast track procedure?

What are the best days and times to go which might avoid waiting around all day?

Any other suggestions..?

 

 

 

 

How about the old-fashioned way. Take a book.

Or, the modern way.....fiddle with your phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2018 at 4:58 PM, bbi1 said:

 

There has been no new TM7 forms at all. I've been using the same ones for the past few years as I just ask them for a bunch of them (about 6 forms) when I went there before. In fact, today I did my 30 day extension and used the old form but just to make sure, I went to the counter and asked for a TM7 form to make sure it's the same, and yes it's the exact same one as I've been using for the past few years. This is for BKK.

 

No idea where @captpkapoor is but there's no "guarantee/indemnity type form" and they don't ask you to "draw a sketch of the exact location of your condo" lol...I guess that he's not based in BKK then but must be asked for somewhere in the provinces.

 

Mind you, the line to do a 30 day tourist visa extension was like HELL today. Took over 6 hours from getting a queue number!

No no, I'm very much in Bkk, and this happened at Chaeng Wattana. She asked me to make a location map showing the exact location of my condo. Certainly one of the three extra forms she had me sign was an acceptance that I understood the terms of my visa extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2018 at 10:19 AM, ThailandLOS said:

"The agent spoke no English so she could not tell me anything about why I needed the new documents or map"

 

And you spoke/read no Thai after 14 years in Thailand and couldn't ask why you needed the new documents or map. Works both ways buddy 😉

I agree, all foreigners that intend to stay in Thailand for many years should have the decency of learning the language of their hosting country. If not, I have no sympathy for you. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2018 at 5:58 AM, tropo said:

... There are a lot of idiots here who blindly sign anything put in front of them.

Ah, flashback ...  I'm sure I signed something when I got married 40 years ago in Loei.  What was I thinking? 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2018 at 10:50 AM, anchadian said:

You should never sign a document in another language unless it is accompanied by a translated copy in your own language, regardless......

Take a thai-english speaking friend with you or pay a lawyer, however don't go to a foreign country and arrogantly expect them to cater for your language, if they do, that's a benefit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, the guest said:

I agree, all foreigners that intend to stay in Thailand for many years should have the decency of learning the language of their hosting country. If not, I have no sympathy for you. 

It's not about lack of decency. It's a very difficult language to learn, especially if you're older than 40. However, I don't read Thai but understand and talk a bit and I've never had any problems  understanding what documents are needed for Immi purposes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...