‘Big Joke’ vows to get rid of 7,000 overstaying foreigners by end of month

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said 700 foreigners had been arrested during the latest crackdown. Of these, police found that 247 had sneaked into the country without a visa, 104 were overstayers and 349 had failed to report their residential addresses or violated the alien business law.

I just wonder roughly what percentage do in reality report their address?

I'm sure it will be a flash in the pan, but who knows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Are they arresting & deporting  people for not reporting their addresses ?

Good question. saw another recent report regarding this. I'd guess only a fine, but who knows?

Don't recall seeing the outcome of the previous article.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisinth said:

Another question arises as well; are the 349 people who failed to report their residential addresses going to be deported for this? That. IMO, would be extremely harsh.

That does seem to be a separate issue from the overstayers/no visa people .

I would expect that no one here illegally is going to report their address , if you were overstaying , you are hardly going to go to immigration and tell them where you live .

Stands to reason that all overstayers hadnt filled out their address card , which suggests that the 349 did have visas and got arrested solely for not filling out their address form 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Very good thing to get rid of the farangs who do not respect the law.

After that, we would like to suggest around 7'000+ taxi drivers in Bangkok who regularly refuse the meter.

We would also like to suggest around 7000+ immigration police officers who regularly are unaware of the rules, make up their own red tape on visa extension issues and make life complicated for the foreigners who wish to play by the rules.

Please also remember to tackle 7000 employees of the DLT - Land Transport Offices who also make trouble here and there on driving licence issues with foreigners.

And this will be a good start, Sir. Well done for your efforts to make this country a better place and keep up the good work.

They cannot deport Thai people , its against U.N. resolutions 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That does seem to be a separate issue from the overstayers/no visa people .

I would expect that no one here illegally is going to report their address , if you were overstaying , you are hardly going to go to immigration and tell them where you live .

Stands to reason that all overstayers hadnt filled out their address card , which suggests that the 349 did have visas and got arrested solely for not filling out their address form 

We fill out our address on the TM6 form on entry into Thailand. 

Isn't it then the responsibility of the house owner / landlord to register us at their / our address in a separate document?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What's he going to do when he has deported all the overstayers.

lets hope he next starts cleaning house in the Immigration departments.

regards worgeordie

Well, assuming that he won't complete this task as regards existing overstayers before mid-2019, he might subsequently hope to find rich pickings among Brits who are no longer able to obtain Embassy income letters!????

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

349 had failed to report their residential addresses

What does that mean? Not doing 90 day reporting? Or not submitting TM.30 (which is not required by Bangkok immigration, but was still used in the case of the woman complaining about the noise from a nearby temple)?

39 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Have to admit, I enjoy BJ's enthusiasm, but he is pushing the boat out if he expects to locate, identify, charge and deport 7,000 'known' overstayers in the next 13 days. If he achieves this, I will voluntarily eat my words.

More alarming to me however are the other facts & figures in this drum-beating OP, especially the ones highlighting the border security of Thailand. In his attempt to surround himself and his team with honour, he has also shown how porous the borders of Thailand are.

Another question arises as well; are the 349 people who failed to report their residential addresses going to be deported for this? That. IMO, would be extremely harsh.

No. What is extremely hash is the TV members' assertion that recklessly rounding-up people of colour and deporting them would inevitably make white dudes more acceptable and royally respected by Thai people. When the fact remains that they see us as worms. The farmers need you for their crops.

Edited by RisingSun

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We fill out our address on the TM6 form on entry into Thailand. 

Isn't it then the responsibility of the house owner / landlord to register us at their / our address in a separate document?

TM 6 should suffice unless there is an address change which should obviously be reported.  90 day reporting should not be necessary either. They could better utilize personnel involved in these areas to upgrade  service at airports and immigration departments for the things that really count. I would not be surprised if Big Joke makes further changes in the future. Wonder when the guy sleeps though.

• Like 1

"Isn't it then the responsibility of the house owner / landlord to register us at their / our address in a separate document?"

Yes, but if they dont do it and immigration pick it up then they will fine the foreigner...its the Thai way. 

Edited by biggles45
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Hope he gets the job done quickly and fix all other immigration related problems quick.

Then I hope he gets moved to chief of traffic police or some type of anti corruption unit. Because this is where we really need him.

4 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"Isn't it then the responsibility of the house owner / landlord to register us at their / our address in a separate document?"

Yes, but if they dont do it and immigration pick it up then they will fine the foreigner...its the Thai way. 

They will not fine the foreigner. They simply inform the foreigner that the foreigner can not make the 90 day report unless someone pays the fine. Guess who that someone usually is? The foreigner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1