Thai drivers ignoring 11 million traffic tickets

webfact

The 13% of the violators who paid up were probably not Thai. i.e. Ex-pats from countries that have a proper legal system and driving tests.

How in their wildest dreams did they ever think that they could hope to change a mind of set of just normally handling over a couple of hundred baht?

For driving offences in some instances that would have you banned in the west after doing the same act 3 times. Excess speeding for one. Drink driving in the UK carries an immediate 1 year ban unless your name is Beckham.  See below.

"In the UK, driving or attempting to drive whilst above the legal limit of 0.08% BAC in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and 0.05% BAC in Scotland or unfit through drink carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment, a fine of up to £5,000 and a minimum twelve months' disqualification."

• Like 2

They'll never be able to connect their databases unless they accept foreign help, hopeless. I received a ticket for the previous owner of the house last week, seems he'd been naughty and ran a red light in BKK. Add to the 11M pile.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jmacken306 said:

Yeah, I can't believe all the places that use inkjet printers, including The Army Hospital when I visit every 3-4 months.

They might have spent the computer upgrade money buying the yellow submarines.  After all,  you need to get the important things first.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Or the vehicle has been sold and the new owner hasn't changed to their name

Not just Thailand.  This happened with my cruising sailboat I had sold in the US just prior to moving here in 2005.  The new owner didn't register it in his name, as is required.  A year, or more, later I began getting nasty delinquent tax notices from both the county and state where I had it berthed.  It took some phone calls and letters to get it cleared up as, typical for government droids, they didn't believe my story that I had actually sold it and moved out of the US.  Of course, scans of my passport stamps and confirmation from the marina manager solved the problem.  Yep, not just Thailand!

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand

Easily solved with Balls as all the registration numbers are in the system.   Just run a TV advertising Campaign for one month advising all drivers that if their fines are not paid in 14 days their vehicles will be impounded and crushed.   If you punish offenders hard enough it will end the problem.    All this nonsense about being  'Tolerant Society' is just an excuse for disgusting behaviour by all and sundry.

• Thanks 1