Pheu Thai Party Could Be Dissolved If Under Thaksin: EC

webfact

Pheu Thai Party Could Be Dissolved If Under Thaksin: EC

By  Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

14600895691460089627l.jpg

Former Prime Minsiter Thaksin Shinawatra speaks during a Feb. 23, 2016, interview in Singapore. Photo: Edgar Su / Reuters

BANGKOK — The Pheu Thai party could be dissolved if ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is found to be influencing it despite no longer being a member, the Election Commission’s Secretary General said Tuesday.

Police Col. Jaringvith Phumma said the commission is collecting audio, video and news reports to verify the claim – made by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan. Under the law, non-members aren’t allowed to influence political parties.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/10/23/pheu-thai-party-could-be-dissolved-if-under-thaksin-ec/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-23

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Pheu Thai party could be dissolved if ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is found to be influencing it despite no longer being a member

Firstly, I'm not a Thaksin supporter, but I can't but help see how the 'government' here is following that of the Burmese 'government' many years ago.

They introduced a law stating anyone with a foreign spouse could not become leader of the country. That ruled out Aung San Suu Kyi right away.

Done that bought the t-shirt and lessons not learned. Dissolved Thaksin’s parties twice in 2006 and 2008; banned their leaders and it just energized their supporters to win big in the elections. They can destroy the structure by devious means but you can’t change hearts and minds. 

Could be  ,  should be , would be .............definitely will be more like it.   A done deal if every there was one.

This is not news. This is  ' olds '. Four or more years old. 

When the first coup failed , and Thaksins wagon kept rolling along , it was decided another coup would be necessary , not only to finish the job poorly started but to terminate Phua Thai with extreme prejudice.........once and for good.

However .....they had to make it look good. This took a little time to fine tune but its all coming together nicely.

Of course , by now nobody is fooled and the slow creeping death of Phua Thai is not as shocking as it might have been had it been announced after the coup. Predictably , a lot of people are loosing interest in it.  After all, there is always Facebook to offer some relief  to the electorate.

He is breaking the law and its only logical not to let convicted criminals influence a countries politics while not being subjected to the same rules as other politicians. Thaksin influences the government but does hot have to show his assets can do his dirty deals behind the scene with far less checks and balances then those that apply to normal leaders of parties.

So i fully understand why they are going after him. I am of two minds here, i want the PTP to run in the election. But if this finally separates Thaksin from the PTP then its worth it. Disbanding until the others in his party understand he is a liability and and gives more problems then advantages and they ditch them. 

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Firstly, I'm not a Thaksin supporter, but I can't but help see how the 'government' here is following that of the Burmese 'government' many years ago.

They introduced a law stating anyone with a foreign spouse could not become leader of the country. That ruled out Aung San Suu Kyi right away.

Thaksin is a foreign spouse?

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! You're even more obscure than me!

No, making up laws to get deliberately prevent popular figures that government don't like, from having any influence.

Thailand made up criminal conviction corruption laws to block Thaksin?

EC investigates alleged Thaksin ‘influence’ over Pheu Thai

By The Nation

4a4a11d2cdde4bb02128f14dd46c931e.jpeg

The Election Commission (EC) is gathering information regarding former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s alleged interference in the Pheu Thai Party’s internal affairs, EC secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma said on Tuesday.

Information or evidence obtained will help the agency to determine whether the Political Parties Act was violated and whether the party should be dissolved, he said.

The EC is reviewing photos, video clips and media reports, including those concerning Pheu Thail politicians meeting with Thaksin in Hong Kong recently, Jarungvith said.

“In order to determine whether the party in question has been influenced, the EC will see if that party lacks the freedom to carry out its activities. If wrongdoing was committed, the party involved risks being dissolved,” Jarungvith said.

He also said that the agency was scrutinising all political parties suspected of violating the Political Parties Act. A fact-finding committee is being set up and the investigation would begin as soon as there is convincing evidence, he added. 

“It all depends on evidence,” the senior official said.

In an interview with NHK in Hong Kong last week, Thaksin made several comments about the upcoming election, including a prediction that Pheu Thai would win some 300 out of 500 seats in the House of Representatives in the next general election.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai leader Wirote Pao-in on Tuesday maintained Thaksin had nothing to do with the party, and that the ex-PM made his remark as a Thai who was concerned about his country.

Regarding Pheu Thai politicians meeting with Thaksin overseas, Wirote said they still hold personal respect for the former prime minister. “The party had nothing to do” with the meeting between Thaksin and the visiting politicians, said the Pheu Thai leader.

Wirote said he saw no valid reason for Pheu Thai to be dissolved due to this matter, as Thaksin has not interfered in the party’s internal affairs.

On Monday, Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan called on the EC to investigate Thaksin’s interview, which was seen by critics as exercising influence over Pheu Thai.

Despite living in self-imposed exile since 2008, some people say he has retained much influence over the party, which has repeatedly formed government. Many party politicians are known to refer to him as “Big Boss”.

The new law governing political parties prohibits non-members from interfering in their internal affairs. Those violating the law risk a jail term and a ban from participating in politics, while the party itself could be dissolved.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30357003

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-23

It's simpler to just assume that unelected regime will find a way to dissolve their most formidable adversary which has the loyalty of a huge percentage of Northern rural Thais.  It will be dissolved on the ground of corruption/election interference, and probably as close as possible to election day so that the party and it's supporters are thrown into chaos and disenfranchised so that huge blocks of rural voters that the elites loath are unable to vote for a candidate and party they wish to support.  But then, well, as the old saying goes, "Blowback's a *****."  Then back to 'democracy at the end of a gun', albeit, Standard Operating Procedure for Thailand.  :dry:

Prayut standing next to leader of BJT in a stadium of 30,000 organized by BJT and pledging billions of development funds. That is a more direct influence to BJT and bribing the party to align with Prayut. No? The EC is displaying partisanship and in direct influence by the junta and cause to be dissolved for corrupting the institution. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Prayut standing next to leader of BJT in a stadium of 30,000 organized by BJT and pledging billions of development funds. That is a more direct influence to BJT and bribing the party to align with Prayut. No? The EC is displaying partisanship and in direct influence by the junta and cause to be dissolved for corrupting the institution. 

Unlike the convicted criminal Thaksin Prayut does have to show all his holdings so it can be checked if he gained money or has conflicts of interests. Thai politicians have to show all kinds of data to combat corruption. Thaksin however has none of these checks as that are mandatory for politicians. The chances of corruption and hidden wrongdoing are so much higher this way.

So talk about an unfair advantage for Thaksin because of his illegal actions (being a party leader but not subjected to all the checks). 

If they can prove Thaksin still is the boss of the PTP (everyone knows he is just have to prove it) they have the right to disband the PTP.

I would like the PTP to run in the election but if this forces Thaksin out for good to cut ties to the PTP then its a good outcome too. 

Now honestly Eric.. do you believe Thaksin is the leader of the PTP or not. I am 100% convinced he is and you ?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! You're even more obscure than me!

No, making up laws to get deliberately prevent popular figures that government don't like, from having any influence.

Only in this case it happens to be a convicted criminal fugitive, wanted on many other charges, who previously controlled the party when they were in power and still calls all the shots.

Hardly Mr. Innocent now is he?

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

Unlike the convicted criminal Thaksin Prayut does have to show all his holdings so it can be checked if he gained money or has conflicts of interests. Thai politicians have to show all kinds of data to combat corruption. Thaksin however has none of these checks as that are mandatory for politicians. The chances of corruption and hidden wrongdoing are so much higher this way.

So talk about an unfair advantage for Thaksin because of his illegal actions (being a party leader but not subjected to all the checks). 

If they can prove Thaksin still is the boss of the PTP (everyone knows he is just have to prove it) they have the right to disband the PTP.

I would like the PTP to run in the election but if this forces Thaksin out for good to cut ties to the PTP then its a good outcome too. 

Now honestly Eric.. do you believe Thaksin is the leader of the PTP or not. I am 100% convinced he is and you ?

Rob, are you being satirical. Thailand laws on income disclosures are as leaky as a fishing net. The informal economy is much larger than the real economy. The rich pay little tax and you really think the military and the police officers declared their income honestly? By the way, UAE has a better global standing in terms of regulating their tax system than Thailand. The chances of corruption and money laundried is far more easier in Thailand. 

Is Thaksin the leader of PTP? I don’t know. Do you? Made your own assumption. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Rob, are you being satirical. Thailand laws on income disclosures are as leaky as a fishing net. The informal economy is much larger than the real economy. The rich pay little tax and you really think the military and the police officers declared their income honestly? By the way, UAE has a better global standing in terms of regulating their tax system than Thailand. The chances of corruption and money laundried is far more easier in Thailand. 

Is Thaksin the leader of PTP? I don’t know. Do you? Made your own assumption. 

I am not.. Thaksin is escaping all the checks that are placed upon real leaders of political parties and you just think that is fine. I knew you are bias but it shows more and more. Your always complaining about the junta in unfairness... but here it is Thaksin is doing the same thing. Taking unfair advantages. I always find it strange how you can attack one side.. but never the other. The checks might not be fool proof but they are there and people can get called out on it.. Thaksin cannot. 

Almost all news articles agree Thaksin is the leader.. you just don''t want to admit it because by doing so you accept that he is again breaking more laws.

Lets agree to disagree until you start seeing Thaksin his faults and crimes as much as you see those of the junta. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Thai politicians have to show all kinds of data to combat corruption.

not much data on those watches tho

4 hours ago, robblok said:

quote from your post.

"Unlike the convicted criminal Thaksin Prayut does have to show all his holdings so it can be checked if he gained money or has conflicts of interests. Thai politicians have to show all kinds of data to combat corruption. Thaksin however has none of these checks as that are mandatory for politicians. The chances of corruption and hidden wrongdoing are so much higher this way."

Please remind us all when Praut declared his income and finances as I may have been asleep that year. AFAIK he has never made that declaration yet.

"So talk about an unfair advantage for Thaksin because of his illegal actions (being a party leader but not subjected to all the checks)."

Rewriting the constitution and giving full amnesty to the military for ALL past, present and endless future acts?

Even Thaksin never tried that one.

Threatening to disband a political party and jail the people that own it.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is the only way that they can win an election.

Ban every other political party and only then can there be a free and fair election.

This would be the spark for mass rebellion.

Or not.

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Thailand made up criminal conviction corruption laws to block Thaksin?

7 hours ago, daoyai said:

yes

Nice try. Probably what Thaksin's lawyers were persuading as they tried to push the lunchboxes full of cash to the trial judges.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote from your post.

"Unlike the convicted criminal Thaksin Prayut does have to show all his holdings so it can be checked if he gained money or has conflicts of interests. Thai politicians have to show all kinds of data to combat corruption. Thaksin however has none of these checks as that are mandatory for politicians. The chances of corruption and hidden wrongdoing are so much higher this way."

Please remind us all when Praut declared his income and finances as I may have been asleep that year. AFAIK he has never made that declaration yet.

"So talk about an unfair advantage for Thaksin because of his illegal actions (being a party leader but not subjected to all the checks)."

Rewriting the constitution and giving full amnesty to the military for ALL past, present and endless future acts?

Threatening to disband a political party and jail the people that own it.

What Thaksin did do was attempt to launder his monies through the children and the family chauffeur. And as for amnesty, well he was trying to push that through his sister and parliament prior to the coup.

Archived