Radio Caroline - Is back ...

Crossy

My favorite was Radio Northsea International which also still has an internet stream. Their boat, Mebo II, was once firebombed live on air by an upset business rival. After the whole pirate radio scene faded, the boat was sold to Libya broadcasting as Radio Jamharia. After that closed, she ended up as a gunnery target for Qaddafi's navy offshore Libya, eventually sinking in the Gulf of Sidre.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Radio Caroline was very popular in her day, and much has been done to help her survive, its a matter of principal now to be a major player again, having been raided by Her Majesties UK Pirates, and had all her radio transmission gear smashed to bits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

Perhaps the new Radio Caroline is the ship used in the movie "The Boat That Rocked" (Also titled "Pirate Radio).

Although not filmed on board, the crew of the Ross Revenge (the final and current Caroline ship) were heavily involved in the movie production. See here:-

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/boatthatrocked/boatthatrocked.htm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Although not filmed on board, the crew of the Ross Revenge (the final and current Caroline ship) were heavily involved in the movie production. See here:-

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/boatthatrocked/boatthatrocked.htm

Brilliant film, written by Richard Curtis and starring Bill Nighy.

But... Crossy.... I hate to tell you but Caroline isn't back...it never went away on the 'net here Caroline ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 12:13 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I may not disagree with that LOL

But as a lifetime Anglophile, I forgive you for all of it.

Even though I obviously couldn’t experience pirate radio, the shortwave BBC World Service (the old one, not the current wanna be 24 hour news service) introduced a poor hispanic boy in the California central valley to a world he could only imagine, and I credit it, with at least partially making me the man I ended up becoming

Edited by VBF

My 'fix' back then was Radio Caroline - the one off the Isle of Man - and Radio Luxembourg. I can remember quite a few DJ names from RL - Jack jackson, Pete Murray, Jimmy Savile, Brian Matthew - and the 'Yes-No' interlude (Take Your Pick) also on RL. But I can't remember any of the names of the DJs on Radio Caroline (North?).

But I do remember the music they played.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, and that link was in my OP.

Yup - i'm not doing very well today.....sigh!  (Thanks for removing my cack-handed post - it's probably cos I woke up early to listen to Tony Blackburn.....lol ???? )

I just responded you your "is back" comment, cos I keep lists of all these independent stations (I will not refer to them as "pirates") and I know Caroline has been around on the 'net for several years.

12 minutes ago, khunken said:

My 'fix' back then was Radio Caroline - the one off the Isle of Man

Mine too (though thought it was off the other coast?) and I switched from Radio Luxemburg because my cheap Japanese pocket radio from Headquarters and General Supplies was not good enough to pick up an interference free signal!

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Mine too (though thought it was off the other coast?) and I switched from Radio Luxemburg because my cheap Japanese pocket radio from Headquarters and General Supplies was not good enough to pick up an interference free signal!

There were two Radio Carolines - one off the Isle of Man & the other off Felixstowe. The latter was the first one and it was later moved to the Irish Sea and another ship renamed Radio Caroline took over off Frinton-on- Sea. All according to Wikipedia.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2018 at 9:00 AM, fanjita said:

Who even owns a radio these days?  TuneIn Radio Pro was a fantastic purchase at 69p back in the day and now we're truly in the wireless age.  Great tech.

I’m with you on this one.

I can’t honestly remember the last time I listened to ‘real’ radio.

Tunein gives you a world of choices, from streamed broadcast stations to internet only stations. 

Now my radio listening tends to be 99% in the car, and the Tunein app has a great car mode, which seamlessly works with Google Maps, Phone & Messages.

3G & 4G are ubiquitous, the quality is great, and it’s hard to beat