Beware of marijuana being misused if it’s legalised, says Thai expert

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“Many countries that have legalised marijuana have started realising that this move is leading to many problems,” he said.

Really? Which "many countries" would that be, Mr. Thira?

As far as I am aware (and I am not a "Thai expert"), there is only a tiny handful of countries that has approved marijuana (or cannabinoids) for medicinal use, and even fewer have completely legalized it.

I also dare to doubt that the decriminalization "led to many problems" or that there was "an increase in road accidents and sexual crime" because of it.

It's probably true that a person who has consumed marijuana shouldn't be steering a motor vehicle because cannabis slows down your reaction time. But then again, you also shouldn't be driving after taking certain fever relieving drugs and pain killers or alcohol.   

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:

As far as I am aware (and I am not a "Thai expert"), there is only a tiny handful of countries that has approved marijuana (or cannabinoids) for medicinal use, and even fewer have completely legalized it.

Of course none of them have ever reported that the decriminalization "led to many problems" nor that there was "an increase in road accidents and sexual crime" because of it.   

Agree with your points, I think that the problems he is referring to is people using medicinal ganga for other purposes such as listening to Bob Marley. It has happened in other countries where it was approved for medicinal but not recreational use. You do not have to be much of an "expert" to foresee some of these same issues occurring here also if medical ganga is legalized.

7 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I also dare to doubt that the decriminalization "led to many problems" or that there was "an increase in road accidents and sexual crime" because of it.

It's probably true that a person who has consumed marijuana shouldn't be steering a motor vehicle because cannabis slows down your reaction time. But then again, you also shouldn't be driving after taking certain fever relieving drugs and pain killers or alcohol.   

I went back and read the full article. This guy may be an expert in something, but he is clearly not that smart especially about marijuana. Also you do not need to have big pharmaceutical companies "develop drugs from marijuana" it can be used as an oil, extract, or in dried plant form without any involvement from any drug maker. It is not a narcotic so removing it from a list of narcotics should not be problematic at all. It has clearly demonstrated beneficial medicinal uses, although some claims have been exaggerated a bit.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Beware of marijuana being misused if it’s legalised, says expert

Sigh.

Beware of marijuana being misused whether it’s legalized or not, replies everyone else.

If you can't construct a cogent argument against something, then maybe that's because there isn't one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

2Prior to 1979 the sale and consumption Marijuana was legal in Thailand....maybe that is why Thailand was once known as the land of smiles.

That could not be more wrong. It has been illegal here since the 1940's. Where in the world did you hear that?