Canadian woman arrested for spray painting wall in Chiang Mai released on bail

webfact

Alberta woman arrested for spray painting wall in Thailand released on bail

By Colette Derworiz

The Canadian press

S__8110093-1-696x522.jpg.41156656d8066cc4bcf10b469e42b6b4.jpg

FILE photo

A Canadian who was arrested in northern Thailand for spraying paint on an ancient wall says she’s sorry for what she did and terrified about what comes next.

Brittney Schneider, 22, was in Chiang Mai last Thursday when she said she and some others got “ridiculously drunk.” They started to walk back to their hostel, but came across a bottle of spray paint and picked it up.

“I came to as I finished writing the B and I stopped because I knew it was bad,” she said Tuesday in an email interview with The Canadian Press. “But it was already too late.”

Security camera footage shows Schneider, who is from Grande Prairie, Alta., and Furlong Lee, 23, spraying paint on the walls of the Tha Pae Gate in the city of Chiang Mai.

Full story: https://globalnews.ca/news/4586855/alberta-woman-spray-painting-wall-thailand-bail/

-- Global News 2018-10-24

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, car720 said:

These grafitti people are unwanted in every country in the world.

I cannot figure out what makes them tick.

Fair point. But I question whether the response warrants the crime.

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

abusing the over-sensitive locals' superstitions, who already don't like you, in their country; Bad Idea

Thailand is happy to take responsible well behaved tourists, not mindless vandals. Deport and black ban for life.!

1 minute ago, MekkOne said:

Those are not 'graffiti people' just 2 drunk 'lads', typical millennial...

What do you know of their previous history in the UK and Canada? Think this is their first time?

6 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Given the current political climate, they could be given deterrent sentences.

I would have thought the threat of jail time and a steep fine was a deterrent.

Well! The woman has sobered up and is out on bail.  Thanks Mommy.

Another tourist who should have known better than to get as drunk

as she did,  and then not have the smarts to behave when she was

drunk. I do hope that mom has a good adult talk with her and they both

learn from this foolish incident.

Geezer

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No matter still vandalism. Would you want it on your house?

A little perspective please... yes it is still vandalism and no I wouldn't want it on my house.. Claiming that it an ancient wall is false.. Facing a possible 10 year stint in a Thai jail is over the top as a punishment. Yes.. they were foolish  .. yes they deserve appropriate punishment.. but lets get the facts straight first..

Thai police take every opportunity to kick foreingers,then ,humiliate them even further in a pathetic effort to boost its own failing image ....''know the real enemy,and its not some drunk Canadian packpackers with a can of spray paint ''....

1 minute ago, Laza 45 said:

A little perspective please... yes it is still vandalism and no I wouldn't want it on my house.. Claiming that it an ancient wall is false.. Facing a possible 10 year stint in a Thai jail is over the top as a punishment. Yes.. they were foolish  .. yes they deserve appropriate punishment.. but lets get the facts straight first..

I believe it is now being quoted as a historic wall and a national icon. No way they will get a 10 year sentence, but the threat of it probably has them soiling their Kimbies.

1 minute ago, mok199 said:

Thais take every opportunity to kick foreingers,add in the love for drama ...

What do you think should happen to them, perhaps a gift basket and their flight home upgraded to business class?.

I'm a Canadian and quite disgusted with her and her friends' actions, wish they let them both stew in jail for at least a few more days at least.. she's apparently a 'ramp agent' for WestJet in Canada (easily found her profile on FB, even a pic with her mom, wearing what looks like the same backwards facing ball cap).. I wonder what her employer would think about her actions, not very good public relations for them..

here are the 2 'quality tourists':

https://www.facebook.com/BrittSizzle (oh I see she also lists 'Liquor Depot Canada' as another place of work ????

https://www.facebook.com/lee.furlong.944

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If it's only a threat they'll be laughing about it with their mates after.

I doubt if they will get off scot free. The lawyers alone are costing thousands, hardly a laughing matter.

33 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Thai police take every opportunity to kick foreingers,then ,humiliate them even further in a pathetic effort to boost its own failing image ....''know the real enemy,and its not some drunk Canadian packpackers with a can of spray paint ''....

talking about boosting a pathetic failing image, what do you really know about the Thai Police, apart from what you read on the internet and the guy on the next bar stool tells you! And if you condone the actions of graffiti artists in any country, you don't belong here either!

37 minutes ago, mok199 said:

I have never had a serious issue with the Thai police. Spray painting graffiti on walls is illegal in most all countries, and Thai police enforcing the laws of Thailand does not by any measure make them the enemy. Painting all Thai police as the enemy is not true and it is also not helpful.

Archived