I want to learn Thai language

Gived1956

8 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I dont have a mindset, just an observer, with a strange Norway sense of funny. Your command of English is also unusually good.

Thank you for that! Norwegian here as well, by the way.

Just felt the need to comment and tell my story, so the OP isn't discouraged from giving it a try. It would be helpful to know more about the OPs situation, though, as it is a lot easier to learn the way I did if you live in a village where you are constantly surrounded by Thais and have very few foreigners to talk to. The best approach always depends on the circumstances and your situation, IMO. Apples and oranges, etc.

• Like 1

First thing to do is buy The Lonely Planet Phrase Book. It has everything in there to keep you learning for a couple of years. Thats how I learnt to start with.  Now find a nice friendly girl who will help you with the pronunciation and tones.  A few lessons at a school may help but not hard to find an older school kid to help you learn.  Talking in the bar is a great way to practice.

6 hours ago, MASSMAN said:

This depends on your present knowledge of the Thai language.  I learned the basics of the Thai language from the books for foreigners to learn Thai.  Then, I began reading the books which Thai children use to learn the Thai language in schools.  I started with grade one (which has pictures along with the words) and then went on to read at least one such book for each grader level until I reached the highest grade (six) of secondary school.  In addition to giving information about the Thai language, these books give much information about Thai culture.     

+1 for the Thai children's books, that's how Thais learn their language. Also you learn to read Thai as you work your way through those kiddies books, it's not as difficult as it may appear, very easy actually to get a fast grasp of reading basic Thai.

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It helps if you already speak a tonal language.

I speak mandarin after living in China for many years, so it was pretty easy for me to hear the tones, and my wife basically coached me through it.

Now, had I not been able to hear the tones, I'm pretty sure me and my wife and come to blows and one of us would be dead right now.

So, professional language school is the way to go...they, unlike a spouse or girlfriend will be gentle with you

If you speak English, you already have more tones than Thai. Six against five. Problem: English uses tones for feelings, Thai for meaning. That takes a lot practise and discipline to master. The biggest problem is vowel sounds - Thai ~125 against English ~21. They must be pure. Long and short vowels are tricky, and Thai has two Ds and two Bs. But speaking Thai fairly well opens up a new world for you, totally different from your mumbling tourists.  I studied at AUA, under Marvin Brown, a genius. Three months, 8 hrs/day, of hell. Taught myself the writing system, quite beautiful and regular (easier than English). AUA is now hopeless I've heard. Central School near Elephant Head bridge on Phyathai is now considered quite good and tough. Thai is harder than Chinese (which I speak) so you need a very good reason to suffer the learning. I did it for my wife's father. (Retired Chula teacher). HTH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Pick up Thai for Beginners which will provide you with basic vocabulary, sentence structure, and introduce you slowly to the Thai alphabet.  The quicker you can learn the basic alphabet and tone rules, the faster you'll learn.  Get the CDs too.
https://www.amazon.com/Thai-Beginners-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker-dp-1887521003/dp/1887521003/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

Two resources that are good:
https://www.thai2english.com/
http://thai-language.com/

Thai-language.com has a forum where folks will answer questions.

That's a good start. 

You can't learn Thai from a book, or even CDs. You don't know how to listen. 

• Confused 1

If you do Facebook, join the group "Farang Can Learn Thai Language." It's full of good tips, for beginners through advanced. I'm not saying it should be your only course of study. I agree with those who say enroll in a professional course.

I having been learning Thai for 41 years. I recommend learning to read right from the start. Some say it's possible to learn Thai without reading, but I wouldn't have been able to do it. Reading is a big help with correct pronunciation, and you acquire vocabulary with the language all around you in public every day. Phonetics based on the European alphabet mislead you, because they're only a rough approximation of Thai sounds. Trying to fit the square peg of Western alphabet into the round hole of Thai language ends up being more work and less effective than learning Thai script from the get-go. It's just a bunch of symbols to represent sounds, consonants and vowels. You can learn this symbol set in a few weeks, if that's what you focus on. The Thai alphabet is a breeze, compared with retraining your brain to speak and hear and think tonally.

Load a Thai-English dictionary on your smart phone.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

If you speak English, you already have more tones than Thai. Six against five. Problem: English uses tones for feelings, Thai for meaning. That takes a lot practise and discipline to master. The biggest problem is vowel sounds - Thai ~125 against English ~21. They must be pure. Long and short vowels are tricky, and Thai has two Ds and two Bs. But speaking Thai fairly well opens up a new world for you, totally different from your mumbling tourists.  I studied at AUA, under Marvin Brown, a genius. Three months, 8 hrs/day, of hell. Taught myself the writing system, quite beautiful and regular (easier than English). AUA is now hopeless I've heard. Central School near Elephant Head bridge on Phyathai is now considered quite good and tough. Thai is harder than Chinese (which I speak) so you need a very good reason to suffer the learning. I did it for my wife's father. (Retired Chula teacher). HTH

I would totally agree with everything you said.

One major thing I agree with is that Thai was harder than mandarin. I picked that up, fairly easily.

Thai was harder, now that may have been a function of my aging monkey brain, but I certainly had a much more difficult time of it.

On the tonal thing your spot on, but it’s sometimes hard to separate using tones for language versus emphasis. That takes practice.

First I really understood that was listening to Chinese pop music. The fact that in music they use emphasis and language tones, takes some getting used to, and interpretation

On the written side however, Thai was a hell of a lot easier. It took me years to really memorize Chinese, and was in Shanghai, so it was simplified Mandarin, to really be able to read anything more substantial than a menu. 

Since Thai follows a more latin format, once you learn the script, i found I could write before I could speak fluently

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Ah yes, the marvellous Dr Brown, now deceased, and his 'natural method'. I spent five wonderful, full-time months, thirty-one years ago, at AUA Rajadamri, being bombarded by my teachers (including the delectable Oiy) with slowly more complex Thai. Golden days.

10 hours ago, MASSMAN said:

This depends on your present knowledge of the Thai language.  I learned the basics of the Thai language from the books for foreigners to learn Thai.  Then, I began reading the books which Thai children use to learn the Thai language in schools.  I started with grade one (which has pictures along with the words) and then went on to read at least one such book for each grader level until I reached the highest grade (six) of secondary school.  In addition to giving information about the Thai language, these books give much information about Thai culture.     

... great advice !! ...