7 Eleven rant

bluesofa

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What is AD?  I buy my cheese from Tops and http://www.cheesequintessence.com 

AD is short for Andrew Dwyer. 

He has been on the vodka this afternoon. Has a headache too.

Don't expect any more posts from him 'til morning.

And why we are talking cheese bro'. Why is the cheese in Thailand so expensive? In UK a kilo of best Cheddar is 2 squids. Over here we are talking a flim for 250 grams. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

And why we are talking cheese bro'. Why is the cheese in Thailand so expensive? In UK a kilo of best Cheddar is 2 squids. Over here we are talking a flim for 250 grams. 

It's not for me.  Depends on what kind of cheese you like and where you lived before.  I'm not British and I don't like cheddar. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

It's not for me.  Depends on what kind of cheese you like and where you lived before.  I'm not British and I don't like cheddar. 

Well,,,, any cheese is better than no cheese, but I just can't afford the Thai prices. I have to go without until a friend visits, bringing with them some decent tea bags and a couple kilos of cheese.

Every couple of days I have to make the decision; cat food (for the cats naturally) or cheese (for me). Cats nearly always win. I am counting the pennies and I do feel a little peeved when the wife swans in with yet another handbag, to add to her already impressive collection. "It was half price; just 1000 Bhat." Dear, dear dear! That's life I guess?!

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well,,,, any cheese is better than no cheese, but I just can't afford the Thai prices. I have to go without until a friend visits, bringing with them some decent tea bags and a couple kilos of cheese.

Every couple of days I have to make the decision; cat food (for the cats naturally) or cheese (for me). Cats nearly always win. I am counting the pennies and I do feel a little peeved when the wife swans in with yet another handbag, to add to her already impressive collection. "It was half price; just 1000 Bhat." Dear, dear dear! That's life I guess?!

Ha..ha..ha..

I agree that the Thai prices for a decent cheese are horrendous.

So much so that my German friend continually writes to me asking me to ship cheeses from Australia.

As he gives nothing in return I feel that I am becoming something of a milch cow.

Shoes..the Thai buy shoes..I used to gather them up and throw them off my verandah-I am just culturally insensitive I guess.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Andy D?

A pretty sober chap, all in all ,when all's said and done.

Vodka,eh?

43 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Camembert Fin Normand (Cow milk / Pasteurised milk) 0.250 PCS

Brie Cantorel (Cow milk / Pasteurised milk) 0.300 KG

Ste Maure de Touraine Cendree AOP Aff. Jacquin (Goat milk / Raw milk) 0.250 PCS

Roquefort AOP Cantorel (Ewe milk / Raw milk) 0.200 KG

Valencay Pyramide AOP Aff. Jacquin (Goat milk / Raw milk) 0.220 PCS

Pont l'Evèque AOP St Hilaire (Cow milk / Microfiltred milk) 0.220 PCS

Langres AOP selection Mons (Cow milk / Thermised milk) 0.200 PCS

Epoisses AOP Germain (Cow milk / Pasteurised milk) 0.250 PCS

Saint Nectaire AOP Cantorel (Cow milk / Pasteurised milk) 0.300 KG

Fourme d'Ambert AOP Cantorel (Cow milk / Pasteurised milk) 0.300 KG

Morbier AOP Le Montagnon (Cow milk / Raw milk) 0.300 KG

4780 baht.  I think about the same or less than I paid for it in Alaska. 

Hey don’t write me off just yet !
Had a power nap and another couple of snifters and I’m good to party !!

Did I mention it’s 8 days until I touch down in The Darkside and take a little car ride over to Gods Own County ( that’s Lancashire and Yorkshire to the uninitiated )for a real cheese overdose !!
Some Wensleydale on some toasted Hovis with brown sauce will do for starters, and by starters i mean breakfast !!

( was joking about the vodka, I don’t drink !)

But not joking about my forthcoming cheese antics.
Cheese is not a joking matter !!

IMG_8968.JPG

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Did I mention it’s 8 days until I touch down in The Darkside and take a little car ride over to Gods Own County ( that’s Lancashire and Yorkshire to the uninitiated )for a real cheese overdose !!
Some Wensleydale on some toasted Hovis with brown sauce will do for starters, and by starters i mean breakfast !!

IMG_8968.JPG

Gawd..Wensleydale..

A double Leicester..cheddar from the Mendips...

That's it!You are off the Christmas card list as of now!????

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

IMG_8968.JPG

Glad to hear about the vodka myth AD. Hope you didn't do any structural damage with that head of yours.

'''After you mentioned it I googled Mornington Crescent, read the rules, took a couple of aspirin, read the rules again, drank half a bottle of Vodka, banged my head repeatedly against the wall!!""

Anyway bro', have a good safe trip and don't go easy on the cheese.

+++

Just as a footnote; after I was married a month to my Thai wife, I had to return alone to UK. She left a message on my phone in Thai which I had translated in UK:::

"My husband; please try to have a safe trip to your country. But, if the airplane crashes may you not suffer too much in the wreckage."

Fatalistic lot; Thais. Still here, luckily.

33 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Gawd..Wensleydale..

A double Leicester..cheddar from the Mendips...

That's it!You are off the Christmas card list as of now!????

I am but a simple Yorkshire lad brought up on bread and dripping !!

A cheddar, Lancashire, Leicester...... any cheese is good to me, except for Edam , not too keen on that rubbery stuff.

My Dad was a sales rep covering Europe and he would always bring back, as well as toys for me and my brothers, some “ sweaty sock “ cheese, Brie, Camembert, Gorgonzola etc .

As kids we wouldn’t touch the stuff, but now I love em !! These cheese are to be eaten in moderation but I do gorge on the cheaper stuff ????

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I am but a simple Yorkshire lad brought up on bread and dripping !!

A cheddar, Lancashire, Leicester...... any cheese is good to me, except for Edam , not too keen on that rubbery stuff.

My Dad was a sales rep covering Europe and he would always bring back, as well as toys for me and my brothers, some “ sweaty sock “ cheese, Brie, Camembert, Gorgonzola etc .

As kids we wouldn’t touch the stuff, but now I love em !! These cheese are to be eaten in moderation but I do gorge on the cheaper stuff ????

You swine.????

I was just having a joke and you gave me a "sad" for which you will never be forgiven...

Do you remember in 'Treasure Island' one of the pirates reminiscing about grilled cheese on toast.?

You swine.[emoji3]

I was just having a joke and you gave me a "sad" for which you will never be forgiven...

Do you remember in 'Treasure Island' one of the pirates reminiscing about grilled cheese on toast.?

My sad face was my removal from your Christmas card list at which I was severely upset.

You , my Antipodean friend, can consider yourself removed from my Easter card, Birthday card, Thanksgiving card and Hanukkah card lists ????

But, having said that, let’s get back to cheese.

Is cheese expensive down under ?
I do remember on my visits there that food and drink seemed extortionate !!

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My sad face was my removal from your Christmas card list at which I was severely upset.

You , my Antipodean friend, can consider yourself removed from my Easter card, Birthday card, Thanksgiving card and Hanukkah card lists ????

But, having said that, let’s get back to cheese.

Is cheese expensive down under ?
I do remember on my visits there that food and drink seemed extortionate !!

Okay..'nuff said about lists..sorry about the joke.

Prices do tend to be high for those big blocks but I tend to explore more boutique styles of cheese here and they are,as you say, pretty darned expensive.

I loved the English cheeses but my current favourite is Asiago with Italian bread and a decent olive oil..

The Hunter Valley cheese company does a very god imitation Brie.

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

No big dairy industry in Thailand like the U.K.

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Makro sells a decent cheddar by Anchor, 720 baht per kilo block.

Archived