Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

I will summarise a post I read on some 'Hua Hin' facebook group yesterday :

Picked up a 1 year stamp from Hua Hin Immigration yesterday, the officer said that next year will need to show 400k funds in the bank instead of monthly income + embassy letter...

He then went on to mention that he'd better start saving up for next years extension...presumably because he's using the income method now. Others chimed in confirming the same had happened to them recently.

Someone else said "I asked about a monthly transfer of money into my Thai account but he said no."

So there you have it - money in the bank only from Hua Hin immigration, two days ago.

The message is clear : Start saving or pack your bags...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, galt67 said:

Chase Bank does for 'Sapphire Banking' customers. Need to have $75k+ total, in checking/saving/brokerage. 'Private Banking' customers MIGHT(?) be the same.

Yes, both Chase Saphire and Chase private banking clients have the foreign ATM fees waived.  Also, I think they have some deal for military members and veterans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would only happen if immigration did not change their requirement for an income letter to using a monthly transfer in to meet the income requirement. Apparently the embassies expect that change to happen.

Agreed, however on the ground they are already telling people that they will need a lump sum next year or there will be no extension.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Picked up a 1 year stamp from Hua Hin Immigration yesterday, the officer said that next year will need to show 400k funds in the bank instead of monthly income + embassy letter...

He then went on to mention that he'd better start saving up for next years extension...presumably because he's using the income method now. Others chimed in confirming the same had happened to them recently.

Someone else said "I asked about a monthly transfer of money into my Thai account but he said no."

So there you have it - money in the bank only from Hua Hin immigration, two days ago.

Like I said before.

They want your money here.  In a Thai bank account.

The monthly dumphly income is going away.

14 minutes ago, ukrules said:

And it goes with what I have said twice now in this thread its all about using the falangs money to capitalize the banking system. 1000's of new accounts means multi billions of baht upon which the banking system can borrow even more money against.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

They want your money here.  In a Thai bank account.

The monthly dumphly income is going away.

What is difference between the two. I don't get your reasoning for your opinion.

The money in the bank can be taken out to live on. It does not have to sit there all year,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Many Hua Hin facebook groups which one?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Please see separate thread. Phuket Imm is reported to have just refused to accept Embassy letter.

I read that topic and do not take it very seriously. It appears they wanted back up proof for the letter and were not flat out refusing to accept the affidavit.

The OP is going to try again to sort it out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not have to sit there all year,

It doesnt have to sit there all year once it is on the books the banks can borrow against it, and then loan it out most likely to support many new large projects that they dont have money for at this time.

11 minutes ago, Notagain said:

And it goes with what I have said twice now in this thread its all about using the falangs money to capitalize the banking system. 1000's of new accounts means multi billions of baht upon which the banking system can borrow even more money against.

Are you aware that Thailand has more foreign reserves than Germany, France, UK, USA and Canada?

They don't need your paltry little accounts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-exchange_reserves

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That almost fits into being being considered a conspiracy theory to me. Utter nonsense IMO.

Then tell me what is the reason for this sudden change in requirements ? The system was working just fine for many many years, Now they want 400/800K baht in their banking system for what reason ??? What is your theory for the sudden change with little notice.

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Please see separate thread. Phuket Imm is reported to have just refused to accept Embassy letter.

It's not sure at all. Here are @ubonjoe's words about that case: "It seems they still accepted the income affidavit but they wanted back up proof for it. That has been asked for by Phuket immigration before. "  (from here)

2 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Then tell me what is the reason for this sudden change in requirements ? The system was working just fine for many many years, Now they want 400/800K baht in their banking system for what reason ??? What is your theory for the sudden change with little notice.

IMHO - People taking advantage of the current system has caused Immigration to clamp down.

Same with all of the other Clampdowns, a small number of people abuse the system and the majority of people who abide by the rules suffer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you aware that Thailand has more foreign reserves than Germany, France, UK, USA and Canada?

Are you aware that thailand is almost at their limit for debt ? They could burn thru those reserves and still not even payoff the 1 trillion baht they still owe on the 1997 meltdown. When yingluck wanted to finance the high speed rail they had to transfer that debt off the books so the gov could borrow money to fund it. Foreign reserves mean nothing a small change in the baht value would wipe them out in a day.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That almost fits into being being considered a conspiracy theory to me. Utter nonsense IMO.

damn right...ever wonder how many visa agencies are backed by farang?  Farang that constantly use scare tactics and lies to push people to agents?

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

IMHO - People taking advantage of the current system has caused Immigration to clamp down

What were they taking advantage of ? It wasnt costing the gov anything, in fact those few people that were gaming the system still spent their money here. And if it is a clampdown like you say why only the american and british are under these new rules what about all the other nationalities ?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Notagain said:

There has been no change in immigrations requirements. The proof of income from an embassy is still in effect. It is two embassies that are causing the problem at this time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

damn right...ever wonder how many visa agencies are backed by farang?  Farang that constantly use scare tactics and lies to push people to agents?

Apparently 'Big Joke' is going to put a stop to that.

This leaves only the dodgy bank workers who provide the faked letters.

17 minutes ago, Notagain said:

What were they taking advantage of ? It wasnt costing the gov anything, in fact those few people that were gaming the system still spent their money here. And if it is a clampdown like you say why only the american and british are under these new rules what about all the other nationalities ?

So there was nobody who lied about having the required levels of income working illegally - All of the Clampdowns (Exempt, ED, Tourist & now Non-O) are trying to identify/prevent people from working illegally.

There are no new rules, Thai Immigration still accepts letters of Income (+ proof backing this up) it's just that BE & USE will not be issuing them anymore - Nobody has changed any "Rules" and that is the problem for Brits/Americans, we need a rule change to continue to be able to use the Income method...

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Really ??? blame the falang for visa agencies, The ones doing the under the table visas are the ones issuing the bank letters and visas and they are not falangs.

You attributed something moontang said to me.

20 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Are you aware that thailand is almost at their limit for debt ? They could burn thru those reserves and still not even payoff the 1 trillion baht they still owe on the 1997 meltdown. When yingluck wanted to finance the high speed rail they had to transfer that debt off the books so the gov could borrow money to fund it. Foreign reserves mean nothing a small change in the baht value would wipe them out in a day.

I know you just want to bash Thailand so bad but it's not there.  One of the highest foreign reserve deposits and lets look at debt as a percent of GDP.

UK 89%
Canada 92%
Japan 239%
USA 107%
Singapore 112%

Thailand....... wait for it........

No problem 42%

http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-index-2017-2018/competitiveness-rankings/#series=GOVDEBTGDP

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Thai immigration have made no statements that the income method no longer exists, the issue is what they will accept as proof in the absence of two embassies no longer doing letters.

The embassies are not saying the income method no longer exists, as far as they are concerned you will be able to show bank statements

At this point in time there is no statements by anyone that the income method no longer exists.

Why speculate on why when they haven't actually done anything ?

• Like 2

Ahh i cant come up with a good answer so I will use the ole you are a thai basher. Im surprised you didnt tell me to go home too. Stupid people that like to quote figures without thinking about them might say yes other countries have higher debt to gdp ratios but they have the means to support those levels with natural resources, an educated workforce, technology, manufacturing bases etc. etc.etc., thailand doesnt unless you consider rice a natural resource.