Bus from BKK (Ekkamai) to Pattaya

bbi1

If taking the bus from BKK (Ekkamai) to Pattaya, do they have different classes of busses like VIP and 1st class, or are all the classes the same? Do all the busses have public toilets? If you are only travelling with a small suitcase the same size as a carry on suitcase that you place on the overhead compartment of an airplane, can that same sized small suitcase be carried on the bus and placed on the busses overhead compartment? Is there enough space for this?

Only one class. Just make sure you buy your ticket at Window No. 1. Bus leaves from Platform 1.

Onboard toilets are often non-functional and usually reek.

Almost nothing fits in the overhead bins on the buses. A near-empty backpack can slip in. 

It's only 2 hours to Pats and only 108 baht. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

For an urgent pee (standing) OK but I would not like to be forced for more :shock1:

(no proper way to clean)

Have a windbreaker/jacket and a headpiece.

Crazy ice cold stream from overhead nozzle that can't be closed.

I won't use it again.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Only one class. Just make sure you buy your ticket at Window No. 1. Bus leaves from Platform 1.

Almost nothing fits in the overhead bins on the buses. A near-empty backpack can slip in. 

It's only 2 hours to Pats and only 108 baht. 

Does that mean if you lots of people pee in the toilet then it will just build up and overflow? ????????

I've never understood why the bus companies don't run at least some VIP bus service on the Ekkamai-Pattaya route. I would think there would be a farang market for it, but who knows....

My guess is the Thais think of it as a short trip and no need for conveniences like a working bathroom and overhead luggage space that actually can be used by travelers.

Just by way of comparison, isn't there a nicer bus service running between Suvarnabhumi and Pattaya still?  If I needed to travel between BKK and Pattaya by bus -- having taking the dingy Ekkamai buses in the past -- I'd probably opt to take the ARL to Swampy and catch the Pattaya bus from there.  Is that still a viable option?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My guess is the Thais think of it as a short trip and no need for conveniences like a working bathroom and overhead luggage space that actually can be used by travelers.

Would the staff allow people to carry on a small overhead luggage suitcase that is the same size as the airplane carry on one? Or would they make you put it under the bus luggage space? I want to take a laptop  in the carry on suitcase but don't want it to go under the bus space.

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just by way of comparison, isn't there a nicer bus service running between Suvarnabhumi and Pattaya still?  If I needed to travel between BKK and Pattaya by bus -- having taking the dingy Ekkamai buses in the past -- I'd probably opt to take the ARL to Swampy and catch the Pattaya bus from there.  Is that still a viable option?

Is that run by the same bus company from the airport?

Edited by bbi1

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Would the staff allow people to carry on a small overhead luggage suitcase that is the same size as the airplane carry on one? Or would they make you put it under the bus luggage space? I want to take a laptop  in the carry on suitcase but don't want it to go under the bus space.

It's been a long while since I've taken one of those Pattaya buses out of Ekkamai.  But re your question, I don't think it's so much a a question of what the bus staff would allow, as, I don't think a normal airplane carry on-size hard frame small suitcase will fit in the overhead racks on those particular buses.  A thin, soft side backpack probably would do better.

BTW, I also wouldn't want to put anything valuable into the under the bus luggage compartment, given the penchant for thievery here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never understood why the bus companies don't run at least some VIP bus service on the Ekkamai-Pattaya route. I would think there would be a farang market for it, but who knows....

You can travel "VIP"; just buy two tickets so you can spread out!  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Can you book the back seat(s)? I believe it's seat 39 & 40? I've been told they have heaps of leg room as there's nothing in front but it's to the side of the toilet.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Still a dump, just with wider seat space. Uncomfortable, often broken seats. Bad bathrooms. Not much legroom for the taller among us. Nothing like an actual VIP bus here, even if you take two seats together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is exactly what I do. Haven't taken the Ekamai bus since last year. I take the train to the airport for 35 baht. The Jomtien/Pattaya bus from level 1, near the cheap food eatery, runs 2 to 3 times an hour these days. Might wait up to an hour, but usually less. I get off at Pattaya Klang, a standard stop. 120 baht one-way. It is a nicer, roomier bus but still not much bin storage room. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's been a long while since I've taken one of those Pattaya buses out of Ekkamai.  But re your question, I don't think it's so much a a question of what the bus staff would allow, as, I don't think a normal airplane carry on-size hard frame small suitcase will fit in the overhead racks on those particular buses.  A thin, soft side backpack probably would do better.

BTW, I also wouldn't want to put anything valuable into the under the bus luggage compartment, given the penchant for thievery here.

^^^ Yes, this. No way will a passenger jet bin-size carry-on fit the bus bins. I have bought two seats in the past so I can bring my big bag onto the bus so I can get off early at Udom Suk, for example.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

15 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

This is exactly what I do. Haven't taken the Ekamai bus since last year. I take the train to the airport for 35 baht. The Jomtien/Pattaya bus from level 1, near the cheap food eatery, runs 2 to 3 times an hour these days. Might wait up to an hour, but usually less. I get off at Pattaya Klang, a standard stop. 120 baht one-way. It is a nicer, roomier bus but still not much bin storage room. 

Clean working toilets on the bus too if taking the bus from the airport?

Edited by bbi1

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Clean working toilets on the bus too if taking the bus from the airport?

Don't know. Like TallGuyJohninBK, I never use bus toilets unless it's an emergency. I've only ever seen one passenger use the toilet per one bus trip. They're smart to stay out of them. Also the trip from the airport to Pattaya is even shorter, 1.5 hours, give or take. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

9 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Do all the busses have public toilets? If you are only travelling with a small suitcase the same size as a carry on suitcase that you place on the overhead compartment of an airplane, can that same sized small suitcase be carried on the bus and placed on the busses overhead compartment? Is there enough space for this?

I take this bus twice monthly , and I have never used the toilet , its only 2 hours so if you have to pee just use a toilet before you enter. 

Any suitcase or bags will be stored underneath in the storage compartment, they will give you a receipt. If it's just a small bag I just keep it under my legs . 

108 baht , normal bus , nothing to worry about , they are always full and leave every 30 minutes. 

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 1:24 PM, bbi1 said:

Can you book the back seat(s)? I believe it's seat 39 & 40? I've been told they have heaps of leg room as there's nothing in front but it's to the side of the toilet.

Not as great as it sounds. Bumpy ride from the back wheels, bad smells from the toilet and seats that don't recline. But yeah, you can select those seats if you want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

For all the space/luggage questions, just buy 2 seats.

I always do and put my backpack/small suitcase on the other seat.

Also, more leg room to stretch out.

But, I know the extra 3 bucks may be a tremendous burden on some.

Saw a greedy Farang who bought 2 seats almost get his kicked in when ppl

wanted to sit in that paid for empty seat and he could not explain how he paid

for it  so nobody would sit next to him.

10 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Saw a greedy Farang who bought 2 seats almost get his kicked in when ppl

wanted to sit in that paid for empty seat and he could not explain how he paid

for it  so nobody would sit next to him.

Sounds like he is smart.

They give you a receipt for 2 seats so easy to explain.

Funny how some would say he is "greedy" because he is smart enough and can afford to purchase an extra seat for 3 bucks for more comfort.

But if one cannot, then I guess one seat it is.....

On 10/28/2018 at 11:59 AM, bbi1 said:

I would think to bring my own toilet paper in case lol

This is Thailand. I have learned after 25 years of coming here the following: I carry tp in my bag, and if no bag, a pocket. Just roll and fold to hanky size, put in a ziplock, unobtrusive. And a bandanna. And hand sanitizer.

Everywhere. All the time. You never know. And there is nothing worse that if you need it, not to have it. I learned that in Mexico when I was a teenager.

Its like carrying a knife on your person and a gun in your car in Alaska. Its what you do. And you have TP in your car too. And a fire starter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, Nyezhov said:

This is Thailand. I have learned after 25 years of coming here the following: I carry tp in my bag, and if no bag, a pocket. Just roll and fold to hanky size, put in a ziplock, unobtrusive. And a bandanna. And hand sanitizer.

I always carry TP when I travel, too.  Removing the cardboard tube makes it plenty compact.