Loud children yelling on my soi, why aren't they in school?

greenbottle555

There is a young boy who just keeps screaming "นี้นี้นี้" ... I think his parents are ignoring him so he just screams นี้ about 5 more times until finally he stops and a parent does something to acknowledge his existence (I'm guessing it's a bit sad because children need attention/love and it sounds like his parents aren't that big of a fan of him for whatever reason). This lasts about every single day from 7am to 11AM.

I guess what I'm curious about is, is it required by law (not going to report him I'd rather just move to a quiet soi this soi is loud in many ways) that Thai children must go to school, or do maybe the poor ones or issaan ones don't go to school? Or does school in Thailand start later around noon?

• Confused 1

Yep, school holidays.  

Also kids are allowed to leave school at an early age here, and many poor families that is the norm, so they can go a get a job.  Also some poor families just take no notice of the law and the kids don't go to school often or at all.

Then there are the kids that the families think are at school, when in fact they just lie to their parents and don't go.

Edited by jak2002003

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yep, school holidays.  

Also kids are allowed to leave school at an early age here, and many poor families that is the norm, so they can go a get a job.  Also some poor families just take no notice of the law and the kids don't go to school often or at all.

Then there are the kids that the families think are at school, when in fact they just lie to their parents and don't go.

That is concerning. I took a bus to Vientiane for a visa run. When I looked out the window at 1AM, I saw a pickup truck (with a mounted roof, the kind one might haul cattle with) transporting children between (I guess) 7-12. These children looked really tired like they were dosing off, but of course without seatbelts they weren't doing that because they would fall out of the pickup. It's really sad that Thai's in the Issaan area are so poor that they have to send their children to work in factories like that.

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, greenbottle555 said:

That is concerning. I took a bus to Vientiane for a visa run. When I looked out the window at 1AM, I saw a pickup truck (with a mounted roof, the kind one might haul cattle with) transporting children between (I guess) 7-12. These children looked really tired like they were dosing off, but of course without seatbelts they weren't doing that because they would fall out of the pickup. It's really sad that Thai's in the Issaan area are so poor that they have to send their children to work in factories like that.

Then there's North Korea where the poor wee buggers have to walk to the factory.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greenbottle555 said:

the Issaan area are so poor that they have to send their children to work in factories like that.

I can't believe that...maybe they went out for a night dropping in the forest or so?

But also in BKK i see the kids being transported in en mass in an old bus without any backdoor so they sit on the doorstep or hang out of it. When they see me they all push to the door to yell HELLO....

Kids here also don't go to school this week, now i know why.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I can't believe that...maybe they went out for a night dropping in the forest or so?

But also in BKK i see the kids being transported in en mass in an old bus without any backdoor so they sit on the doorstep or hang out of it. When they see me they all push to the door to yell HELLO....

Kids here also don't go to school this week, now i know why.

Oh another thing, there was a sign in English at the rest stop for my coach bus. The sign said something about child labor being illegal, kind of indicating that it isn't tolerated legally. Yet, clearly it is going on as it's so easy to observe by just seeing that pickup full of sleepy/fatigued children at 1am being hauled like cattle.

2 minutes ago, greenbottle555 said:

Oh another thing, there was a sign in English at the rest stop for my coach bus. The sign said something about child labor being illegal, kind of indicating that it isn't tolerated legally. Yet, clearly it is going on as it's so easy to observe by just seeing that pickup full of sleepy/fatigued children at 1am being hauled like cattle.

Really? Well let somebody film it and put it online....if they see that in Europe they'll take action it i bet.

19 minutes ago, Thian said:

Give him a computergame and glue the charger to an outlet far away from you.....

Super idea we have a socket outside where we keep the motorcycles now why didn't i think of that!????

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Creative thinking award for you,  Sir.    Pure thinking "out of the box".   ????

I'm a master in creative thinking haha....you can also add a timeclock on that outlet so he can only play during certain hours....

Or give him a metaldetector and tell him there must be golden coins somewhere around the property....or a bicycle if there's a safe place to bike...or a soccerball/tennisracket if there's a place for it not close to home...also i would let him work for that computergame so he learns that nothing comes free in life. My parents did the same to me.

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

I'm a master in creative thinking haha....you can also add a timeclock on that outlet so he can only play during certain hours....

Or give him a metaldetector and tell him there must be golden coins somewhere around the property....or a bicycle if there's a safe place to bike...or a soccerball/tennisracket if there's a place for it not close to home...also i would let him work for that computergame so he learns that nothing comes free in life. My parents did the same to me.

but but but

hes only 6 months!

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

but but but

hes only 6 months!

Well maybe a computer for his mum in another room? Or a babybox (that cage) in the other room with a baby-intercom so mum can hear him cry....Or you rent a small condo for mum (my wife had one for 2000 baht a month in BKK years ago)....Or build a small 'study'-room for yourself somewhere in/around the house...a dummy teet for the baby, a tv for him, a nanny, a doggy....just anything he likes and keeps quiet. A rocking chair maybe (electric)...i don't have kids so not much experience with babies. Best would be to get him and mum out of the house.

Dear Victor Meldrew,

maybe take some time out and show this child some love? Don't beat him or chase him with sticks, take a handful of fresh pork mince or even some sweets, give them to him everyday as you pass by. Eventually, he will realise you are a friend and probably start to come to you in a more friendly manner.

Try spreading love not hate, most of these Soi animals really don't have rabies you know.

• Sad 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, NanLaew said:

In the same way that one is advised to get their own dog when they complain that a neighbors dog gets too loud or annoying, perhaps the OP can consider something similar?

On 10/30/2018 at 10:39 AM, greenbottle555 said:

unnngghh yeah I'll go breed a child and train him to silence loud kids.

I'm thinking more along the line of "my monster speakers are bigger than yours,  so bring it on.."!!????

Let's just enjoy this brief planet stay.

4 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

Congratulations for managing to put the most inane, stupid, nonsense, incorrect statements into a few sentences, i respectfully suggest before you post the next time, to take you medication. I live in Issan and have lived in Thailand for over 20 years, i have several poor children round to my house nearly every night, they sit and use my WIFI and play games with my nephew on their ipads and smart phones, before going home to watch their flat screen TV's, poor things. And the transport you refer to is probably a local or school bus!!! 

Why would a local school bus be operating at 1AM on a saturday night hauling children who appear fatigued and depressed?

4 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

i have several poor children round to my house nearly every night

Ok, so you know "several poor children." There are millions of poor children in Issan, some more poor than the ones you personally know. Did it occur to you that maybe just because you know "several" children who have flatscreen TV's, that this example doesn't invalidate the fact that brutal working conditions exist for isaan children?

15 hours ago, bergan said:

Jumping to conclusions much?

There was a sign a few KM away at the rest stop that said something vague about stamping out or not tolerating child labor. It's clearly an issue in that region, else why put up a sign claiming to stamp out something that doesn't even exist...?

Do you have a better conclusion as to why sleepy children would be packed into a cattle truck and on the highway at 1 AM ?