Australian baby facing amputation after contracting meningococcal in Thailand

webfact

Gold Coast baby facing amputation after contracting meningococcal in Thailand

By Emily McPherson

http_%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F10%2F30%2F15%2F06%2F3010_lilliana4_sp.jpg

Lilliana's family are trying to arrange a medivac to bring her home.

A Gold Coast family is desperately trying to get their baby girl home after she was struck down with meningococcal while on holiday in Thailand.

Eight-month-old Lilliana Sheridan has been fighting for life in a Phuket hospital for six days and may need to have part of her right leg amputated if her condition does not improve, her parents say.

The family had been in Phuket for two weeks when parents Elisha Roberston, 23, and Jai Sheridan, 25, noticed that Lilliana had become unwell last Thursday.

Full story: https://www.9news.com.au/2018/10/30/15/00/gold-coast-baby-facing-amputation-after-contracting-meningococcal-in-thailand

-- 9NEWS 2018-10-30

15 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You are right.  I don't understand why families with very young babies want to take them on long flights for holidays.  The baby is not going to like the holiday any more than being at home, and when its crying and screaming on the plane it is an annoyance to other passengers and an inconvenience to staff, and a potential safety hazard.

Not all babies scream and cry on the plane, just like not all tools get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves on a plane. It would be a shame to ban idiots because a handful of them drink and get stupid on a flight, the same with babies...  

Back on topic - traveling with kids to tropical countries who have not had sufficient vaccinations places them at extra risk (I'm not sure if this is the case here). 

I'd be interested to know how and where is thought this infant contracted the Meningoccocus bacteria purely as a precaution for my son who is vaccinated against it but is still at risk (4 yrs old).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:
2 hours ago, beechbum said:

Yeah, sounds like a good thing you never had children.

yeah, well look how well it's working out for this family.

What a very crass comment.... 

You'd be forgiven for assuming people only become unwell if they travel. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

i had called the hospital offering to arrange donation of O negative blood but it was very difficult trying to get connected to someone with the competence to understand. i finally left contact info but no contact as of yet

meningococcemia is the correct term

Edited by atyclb

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many detailed memories do you have from before age 5?

Risking a young child on unnecessary travel is just selfish.

You are quite right of course.... The holidays were not for my Son, but for my Wife and I... very selfish indeed. 

Enjoying the time with our son for our benefit was also perhaps selfish... But it was great... what a wonderful time of our lives, I'd do the same trips again in a heartbeat. Doing the stuff while we had time and before our son was at School was also perhaps selfish....

All very selfish... Heck... Taking my son in the Car on Thailand's deadly roads is also perhaps selfish...   We just came back from an Island - 3 hrs in the car (one way), was that also selfish, quite frankly the holiday was unnecessary... but what a lovely time we all had... 

Perhaps we can rise above the stupidity of such rhetoric and evaluate a balanced risk instead of posting such bumf... 

People travel with their kids because if for no other reason travel is fun....  and having fun is not selfish, its just enjoying life. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Travel Insurance companies actually prefer to pay for medivac back to the home country IF

(1) it is medically feasible for the ill person to fly (with an infectious disease like meningitis there might be safety issues for other passengers and crew; also the baby might not be stable enough, we don't know) and

(2) The cost of the med-evac is the same or less than the cost of treatment in the foreign country (because once back in the home country the travel insurance no longer pays for treatment). Which might or might not be the case.

If appropriate treatment is not available then they have to pay for med-evac to the nearest place where it is available. But certainly this can be treated in Bangkok. So it is the above 2 variables that still need to be ascertained hence the family nto yet knowing if the insurer will pay for travel form Bangkok to Oz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beechbum said:

Yeah, sounds like a good thing you never had children.

My three kids were all born in the UK but due to our work they were all introduced to the 3rd world within one month after birth. Thirty-plus years later they are all well, healthy, two even wealthy...my wife and I used a lot of common sense but also listened to the locals. I totally agree with you, beechbum, some adults should never have children, full stop (or period for them yankee cousins)

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was just pointing out your kids don't miss out by not travelling with you.

My parents dragged me all over the world, and it bored me out of my mind, until I learned to say no at age 8 or 9. I then had great holidays staying at home with my aunt and cousins.

Just don't confuse parents selfish motives, with their children's best interests.

I bet your old dad was so happy to leave your ungrateful butt at home too ???? 

• Haha 2

Gold Coast baby Lilliana was flown to Bangkok last night to see doctors who will make a decision to amputate or not

Campbell Gellie, Gold Coast Bulletin

AN aircraft is on standby at Gold Coast Airport to fly to Thailand and bring sick baby Lilliana Sheridan home.

The eight-month-old was flown from a Phuket hospital to Bangkok late last night where doctors will make a decision to amputate her legs.

Little Lilliana’s parents — Elisha Robinson, 23, and Jai Sheridan, 25, from Nerang — raced her to a hospital in Phuket on Thursday when she contracted meningococcal through septic poisoning. Her arms and legs were swollen and black and purple.

Full story: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast-baby-lilliana-was-flown-to-bangkok-last-night-to-see-doctors-who-will-make-a-decision-to-amputate-or-not/news-story/4cfa169483115d95a9b538cb56cd75c8

-- Gold Coast Bulletin 2018-10-31

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

One flight I was on the baby was crawling up and down the isle on its own when the plane was landing.  During the flight it was unsupervised and kept crawling to the toilet doors, and people nearly stepped on it several times and one man stumbled and nearly fell over.   The mother also had 2 other young kids... one screaming and not allowing anyone to put its seatbelt on... so it was basically climbing over the back of the chair as the plane was having turbulence and everyone had to fasten the seatbelts.  

They could go flying through the air and land on someone if not restrained properly. 

Why drag the babies halfway across the world for something they will never remember anyway?  Leave them with someone to take of them and have a more relaxing holiday.

I have to admit this is a safety hazard, but in my view it is not caused by a baby.

The cause is the parents letting the baby go around; just as i dont blame hand luggage for causing a safety hazard but the people taking it out and dropping it on your head. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was just pointing out your kids don't miss out by not travelling with you.

My parents dragged me all over the world, and it bored me out of my mind, until I learned to say no at age 8 or 9. I then had great holidays staying at home with my aunt and cousins.

I think it was about 1947 when I was on an outing with my grandmother in San Francisco and happened to look down from Telegraph Hill and see a big white ocean liner taking on passengers at Pier 35. My grandmother could see that I was curious about the ship so she told me that it was the Lurline and that it was going out to the Hawaiian Islands.  I immediately grabbed my grandmother's hand and tried to drag her to the ship while begging her to take me to Hawaii on it.

Bottom-line; I would have kissed a mule's A** to have been able to travel all over the world when I was a kid.

• Like 1