Legal age consent Thailand

Kenny202

Surprised it took this long for that response but no not me. Not this time anyway 5555. Im sure many of us have sailed close to the wind in this respect. I too have lived out in the villages. Most of these things sorted out by the local poojaibaan or BIB. No one has money to go to court. You do see though there seems to be no definitive or clear answer...like many things in LOS

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He is not correct .

15 years olds cannot give consent without their parents consenting to the relationship , 18 years olds can give consent without their parents giving their consent .

And I recall reading some other vaguely worded caveat on this subject on this forum where 18 year-olds can give consent unless they are still living with their parents in the family home, whereupon they have to be 20 years-old to give that consent. Now that probably does not have any standing in any Thai court of law and makes absolutely no sense to us, but there's the other, more esoteric cultural aspects that can prevail here and if the family has money and big face, then the police can be involved.

It's a proper dog's dinner, that's what it is.

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Generally I have heard the age of consent is much lower than 18...again with the parents consent.

Is there a definitive answer on this or is it like everything here?

Yes there is, you may not like or agree with the rules, but here they are ..........

Age 13 if married with a judges written permission (can be given retroactively, cancelling all previous legal punishments)

Age 15 with parents permission

Age 18 if no financial inducements (gifts or money)

Age 20 anything goes.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I keep hearing this word compoundable, and I understand what the word means but I don't understand what it means in this instance? Compoundable means to exacerbate or grow. If the person is over 16 with consent there is no offence as such...so what is compounded?

As I see this scenario in this instance means OP's mate is being conned.

The Thai law states nothing about parental consent it's made up by Thai families hence OP's mate it being told by police utter BS unless there is something else he is not telling OP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

He is not correct .

15 years olds cannot give consent without their parents consenting to the relationship , 18 years olds can give consent without their parents giving their consent .

The Thai law is quite clear on this Criminal offences can also be classified as compoundable and non-compoundable offences. 

COMPOUNDABLE OFFENCES. Compoundable offences are those offences where, the complainant (one who has filed the case, i.e. the victim), enter into a compromise, and agrees to have the charges dropped against the accused.

As we do not know the facts or true it seems the police are involved via the parents and conning OP's mate.

Lets imagine a legal case.

How would anybody prove that they had sex together (if she is not pregnant)?

He could say he was in love but he wanted to wait with sex until they are married. I heard people like that exist.

Where is the prove?

No prove, no possible legal case, problem solved.

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lets imagine a legal case.

How would anybody prove that they had sex together (if she is not pregnant)?

He could say he was in love but he wanted to wait with sex until they are married. I heard people like that exist.

Where is the prove?

No prove, no possible legal case, problem solved.

I wouldn't fancy challenging with that argument in court, especially a Thai court, if Thai police bring the charges and the girl is prepared to testify.

Even if she didn't want to, the police would force the issue if they were that way minded.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Thai law states that the age of consent is 15 years of age. But to confuse matters a little, when it comes to commercial sex, that is prostitution, the age of consent is not 15, but 18. To really confuse matters even further, there are laws that state that those under 20 are not allowed to enter certain establishments, although this is not an age of consent issue as such, but a law related to alcohol consumption.

The most sensible post.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

Apart from the fact that prostitution is illegal in Thailand for any age .

15 year olds cannot give consent without their Parents also giving consent , so, a 15 year old cannot give consent independently , making the age of consent to be 18

The Criminal Code says nothing about parents having to give consent.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

As I see this scenario in this instance means OP's mate is being conned.

The Thai law states nothing about parental consent it's made up by Thai families hence OP's mate it being told by police utter BS unless there is something else he is not telling OP. 

And we have a winner !!!!

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes there is, you may not like or agree with the rules, but here they are ..........

Age 13 if married with a judges written permission (can be given retroactively, cancelling all previous legal punishments)

The Penal Code doesn't exactly say this.

It says it's an offence if you are not married to the child (13 to 15). But if you commit the offence (being unmarried) the court can give permission to marry and there will be no legal punishment.

Age 15 with parents permission

The Penal Code says nothing about parental permissions

Age 18 if no financial inducements (gifts or money)

Age 15 to 18 if no financial inducements or coercion

Age 20 anything goes.

The Penal Code makes no mention of any age over 18.

It seems there are a couple of different opinions here. Maybe lets look at this in another way.

How many of us had already sex with one or more girls under the age of 20 in Thailand? I bet a lot.

How many of us ever had to pay extra money to the parents for that? I don't know anybody personally who was even asked to pay.

If doing that would be illegal and if parents could demand lots of money to forget about it then I would guess lots of people would have heard about this "scam" already. And probably some would have paid. And then more and more girls and parents would decide that that is a golden opportunity to make a lot of extra money.

Does it happen? No. I guess that answers the question at least in a practical sense.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Criminal Code says nothing about parents having to give consent.

Yes it does, the links stating as such have been posted in this thread .

Just to make it clear , Parents do not have to give consent to the relationship , but if they oppose the relationship , they can inform the Police and request them to file charges for rape of a minor .

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes it does, the links stating as such have been posted in this thread .

Just to make it clear , Parents do not have to give consent to the relationship , but if they oppose the relationship , they can inform the Police and request them to file charges for rape of a minor .

Nobody has posted  link to the Penal Code, only links to Wikipedia.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:38 PM, Katia said:

If it has the ability to go so horribly wrong, why not just let it be and find a girl old enough that you don't have to deal with her parents? Surely there are other fish in the sea without ending up in hot water over some kind of he-said/she-said, did too/did not game with the parents, and surely 18 is not too old to be a dealbreaker.

Have you ever felt the smooth, taught flesh of a teenager in your older body? Or smelled the sweet aroma if a 18 or 19 year old? Silky hair, white teeth, clear eyes. 

That's why. It's heaven on earth and NOTHING can approximate it. 

I'd rather have an average teenage girl than even the most beautiful 30 year old woman in the world. 

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Nobody has posted  link to the Penal Code, only links to Wikipedia.

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#penal-2

TITLE IX

OFFENCE RELATING TO SEXUALITY

Section 277 Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to twenty years and fined of eight thousand to forty thousand Baht. If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is committed against a girl not yet over thirteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life.

If the commission of the offence according to the first or second paragraph is committed by participation of persons in the nature for destroying a girl and such girl is not consent, or by carrying the gun or explosive, or by using the arms, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment for life.

The offence as provided in the first paragraph, if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence. If the Court grants them to marry together during the offender be still inflicted with the punishment, the Court shall release such offender.

Section 278 Whoever, committing an indecent act to the person out of fifteen years of age by threatening with any means, by doing any act of violence, by taking advantage of that person to be in the condition of inability to resist, or by causing that person to mistake him for the other person, shall be imprisoned not out of ten years or fined not out of twenty thousand Baht, or both.

Section 279 Whoever, commits an indecent act on a child not yet over fifteen years of age, whether such child shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding ten years or fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.

If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph, the offender commits it by threatening by any means whatever, by doing any act of violence, by taking advantage of such child being in the condition of inability to resist, or by causing such child to mistake him for another person, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding fifteen years or fined not exceeding thirty thousand Baht, or both.

Section 282 Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, procures, seduces or takes away for indecent act the man or woman with his or her consent, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years and fined of two thousand to twenty thousand Baht.

If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years and fined of six thousand to thirty thousand Baht.

If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the child not yet over fifteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years and fined of ten thousand to forty thousand Baht. Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, obtains the person who is procured, seduced or taken away according to the first, second or third paragraph or supports in such commission of offence, shall be liable to the punishment as provided in the first, second or third paragraph, as the case may be.

Section 283 Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, procures, seduces or takes away for indecent act a man or woman by using deceitful means, threat, doing an act of violence, unjust influence or mode of coercion by any other means, shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years and fined of ten thousand to forty thousand Baht.

If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life.

If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the child not yet over fifteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of ten to twenty years and fined twenty thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life, or death.

Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, obtains the person who is procured, seduced or taken away according to the first, second or third paragraph, or supports in such commission of offence, shall be liable to the punishment as provided in the first, second or third paragraph, as the case may be.

Section 283 bis Whoever, takes away the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age for indecent act with consent of such person, shall be punished with imprisonment of not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

If the commission of offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the child not yet over the fifteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding seven years or fined not exceeding fourteen thousand Baht, or both.

Whoever, conceals the person who is taken away according to the first or second paragraph, shall be liable to punishment as provided in the first or second paragraph, as the case may be.

If the offences according to the first and third paragraph are specially occurred in the case of committing to the person exceeding the fifteen years of age, they are compoundable offences.