Young kid operates a power drill!

Card

Just seen this kid, from my balcony in Bangkok, using a power drill to demolish a small wall with no safety equipment such as ear muffs. He has apparently full permission of his mother in a wheelchair nearby. I believe the mother is managing the operation involving several workers. I have a video but cannot seem to be able to post it. IMG_20181031_090910.jpeg

Yesterday i saw the neighbour's kid, about 10 years old, with two other young kids driving on a motorbike without helmets, he apparently even has permission from his mom. Should i inform the police?

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

Just seen this kid, from my balcony in Bangkok, using a power drill to demolish a small wall with no safety equipment such as ear muffs. He has apparently full permission of his mother in a wheelchair nearby. I believe the mother is managing the operation involving several workers. I have a video but cannot seem to be able to post it. IMG_20181031_090910.jpeg.700192450a347071eafc1d230e952828.jpeg

I might add that the kid has a green shirt and is about 10 years old, I guess.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Probably only wearing flip-flops too !!  ???? whatever next ! ........

Guess you havnt seen them arc welding wearing sunglasses next to swimming pools full of people either, ........the list goes on and on.......welcome to Thailand

• Like 2

The guy who installed fiber at my home a few weeks ago used a hammer drill to get through the wall.  Using an iPhone app, I measured the noise at 110 dB, which is about what you'd get in the front row of a rock concert.  Of course no ear protection.  They just don't care.

25 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

SOP. Standard Operating Procedure.

And your points are what exactly?

Thailand ain't any different to anywhere else in SE Asia or the Indian or African continent.

Things still get done. Stuff still gets built.

And men & women construction workers still drop stuff on their feet and stub their toes.

At least it's just as amusing, or even more so, on trips back to my Nanny State Home Country for a fleeting visit, seeing the over-manned hi-viz vests, safety boots & hard hat wearing telephone company workers laying a fibre optic cable under a pavement or similar Real Dangerous jobs.

Some of the stuff back home is as pathetic & ludicrous in the case of being at the opposite end of the Health & Safety scale as here.

So you approve of 10 year old kids being allowed to operate a power drill on a wall then, and equally disapprove of anyone highlighting that fact? I assume you think we should all keep quiet about such things and others such as modern day slavery and female circumcision because they are a fact of life in many developing countries, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

As for slavery and wimmin's bits being cut off - where did that come from?

Off topic,

Why do these guys never mention the alimony (male slavery) and circumcision (male genital mutilation) that happens in the west?

Back on topic,

I don't have a problem operating a drill in bare feet when I'm working on something in the house.

And it was the school holidays when the photo was taken.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly is your problem with a 10 year old using a power drill. I was using power tools at that age. Dad taught me to weld when I was about 12. 

Ditto, woodworking power tools from lord knows how old (ok the circular saw was restricted until I was 10 or so). Dad was a very keen DIYer and needed an assistant.

Metalworking machine tools, gas torch, forge at school from age 11 or so. I didn't learn to weld until 17 as part of my apprentice training (along with what a "long weight" and various other items held in stores were).

A hefty degree of respect for these potentially dangerous devices was of course instilled along with relevant safety kit (eye protection only).

• Like 2

" I have a video but cannot seem to be able to post it. "  maybe if you'd learnt how to use power tools at 10 years of age you'd by now be somewhat proficient in uploading a video. Just a thought.
Sounds like you think working a mobile phone requires similar dexterity as a power drill. You should get out more.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Two score year' ago, when I was 10, part of the curriculum for primary schools was a half day of "manual training" each week.  We piled onto a bus, with steel framed seats and no seatbelts, and travelled to the facility in a near constant swarm of seat swapping and acrobatics on the sharper corners.  In those pre-PC (in every sense of the word) days, girls went to a room where they were taught cooking and sewing, while the boys went to the workshop and did wood and metal work.  We'd happily hack, carve and gouge our way through chunks of wood and metal and end up taking some misshapen object d'art home to our mothers, who would say "oh, that's nice" before putting it somewhere as far from view as possible.  Preferably on the fire.  No special clothing, eye or hearing protection was supplied, the only rule was no open shoes - try dropping a hammer or chisel onto a pair of trainers and see how much protection they give.  Following class, it was fight your way back onto the bus, employing your newly constructed spice rack as a means of doing so via the heads of the less successful, ingratiate yourself with one of the girls who made the tastier morsels in cookery class, and try and stuff as much of it down your throat as possible on the trip back to school.

At the end of the school day I'd ride my bike the 10km back to our farm - with no helmet, get changed and help with the chores, which often involved the use of large pieces of machinery cunningly designed to randomly remove various limbs and appendages of the operator, and, if still alive and in one piece, would be tucked up in bed at 8 o'clock after being allowed to watch an hour of black and white television.  Now, try telling that to the young people of today, and they won't believe you.  Which, unlike the Monty Python sketch, is all the more shocking as it really is true.

Card is gunna faint when he reads this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Card is gunna faint when he reads this.

Mind you, I'm totally deaf, blind in one eye, and they do call me "Stumpy" now.  But I can laugh about it, or could if my vocal cords hadn't been removed due to a build up of metal filings.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 8:40 AM, attrayant said:

The guy who installed fiber at my home a few weeks ago used a hammer drill to get through the wall.  Using an iPhone app, I measured the noise at 110 dB, which is about what you'd get in the front row of a rock concert.  Of course no ear protection.  They just don't care.

Last summer in Europe i was at a birthday party....there were loads of 70-80 year old men chatting about their hearing aids.

Most of them had been office workers all their lives, a few of them worked as welders/metal workers....

Guess who didn't need the hearing aids?? Right, it were the metal workers...and they also didn't use hearing aids or so in the old days.

At least they let a boy/man use the jackhammer...several times i've seen 40 kg old girls/young ladies using them while the Thai men were watching her.

One day next to Phantip pratunam a tiny girl with a supersized jackhammer breaking up a conrete floor....she was so small the hammer almost was larger than her. Nothing to protect herself of course.

But that's normal in Thailand so don't worry.