Car Blue Book. Do you need to carry in Vehicle.

Thaifish

My apologies if this question has been shot to pieces on this forum. I cant find an answer after searching! Do you need to carry the Car Blue Book in the vehicle in case of a road inspection. Will photocopies of book be enough to satisfy the BIB of ownership. What is the fine for not having it (if any) for not being able to present it?

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What would be the point, if everyone keeps their blue book in the glovebox, someone can steal the car and present the book to police at a checkpoint. People other than the owners are legally driving cars everyday. If the owner happens to be driving the car then it proves ownership, otherwise its someone other than the owner driving the car, what does the bluebook prove, you borrowed a friends car. Thai logic ???

A classic Thai response... Luv it...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Is there an actual law that says so or is it just something that gets repeated so it must be true?

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

Section 66
He who fails to present his driver’s license or a photocopy of the registration book to a competent officer while driving a motor vehicle is subject to a fine not exceeding 1,000B.

And tons and tons of threads, multiple posts about being asked for.

A mate has experienced it cheap, was 400 or so.

• Thanks 2

There is no meaningful reason why you should not carry a copy of the vehicle registration with you.

Motorbike renters in Pattaya do laminated copies put under the seat.

This plus rental contract has to be shown at checkpoint.

Edited by KhunBENQ

KhunBENQ. Reading your link above and copying.... If this is a truthful copy of the act then.....   

Title 3: Driver’s License

Section 42
Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver’s license. The driver must carry the driver’s license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. 

I think original question answered. Thank you for your time and efforts folk!... May your Gods bless you an happy Easter if I do not see you beforehand...

On 11/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, Peterw42 said:

What would be the point, if everyone keeps their blue book in the glovebox, someone can steal the car and present the book to police at a checkpoint. People other than the owners are legally driving cars everyday. If the owner happens to be driving the car then it proves ownership, otherwise its someone other than the owner driving the car, what does the bluebook prove, you borrowed a friends car. Thai logic ???

Is there an actual law that says so or is it just something that gets repeated so it must be true?

In short.. The person with the book can easily borrow money on the car. Not legal , but easy.. Same with other "books". All in all it is a valuable document. However.. I would like someone to explain to me how it is possible to actually get money on something that is not in your name.. EVEN you have the book. How does that work and why. A bank would certainly not accept it without a power of attorney at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, KittenKong said:

I've never been asked for the blue book. The only things anyone has ever wanted to look at are the tax disk, the government insurance and my licence.

I do have a copy of the blue book in the glovebox though, just in case.

They are not allowed to ask for insurance.

Having tax paid means that you have insurance.

I’ve been stopped many times in the car. They looked at window sticker to make sure not expired, insurance papers and license.

When we bought the car and no tags one officer wanted to check

odometer it see if miles aren’t excessive. Basically to check if I was feeding him bull. 

Two motos someone once unbolted the other twisted off the yearly

registration sticker

On 11/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, KittenKong said:

I've never been asked for the blue book. The only things anyone has ever wanted to look at are the tax disk, the government insurance and my licence.

I do have a copy of the blue book in the glovebox though, just in case.

once...only once,  i was on my motorcycle.  At checkpoint i had everything in order (licence,helmet,tax).

or so i thought.  guess cop needed money cause he asked for copy of blue book.  said it was the law to have with vehicle.   damn....bargained down to 200 baht.  Now i have a copy with bike and car

• Like 1

Was asked for a copy of the green book of my motorbike once in Bangkok. Didn't have it, but was no big problem, didn't get fined, just told to carry it with me.

Now i have pictures of it on my phone, but haven't been asked for it since then, no idea if they are happy with photos or if they would insist on a hardcopy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

If you buy a car and get it through a finance company, you will not get the blue book until it's totally payed off.

Correct, plus most rides in LOS are on credit. no blue book, they are given a printout of the book to keep in the ride to show the BiB..

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

There is no meaningful reason why you should not carry a copy of the vehicle registration with you.

Motorbike renters in Pattaya do laminated copies put under the seat.

This plus rental contract has to be shown at checkpoint.

Yeah I have always known it to be a requirement the same as carrying a copy of your passport. 

I carry copies of many more things too so I can't get caught out by some smartarse. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You'll need the actual blue book with you if you ever intend to take the car across the border to a neighboring country, for example to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia. You will not be permitted to exit without one, despite claims by some - vehicle theft, often made by gangs who use cars as collateral for unpaid gambling debts held by Thais ship cars over to neighboring countries hence why the controls are so strict. No original blue book and you're not taking your car on holidays to Luang Prabang, for example. Which explains why there are fewer Thai registered cars going to neighboring countries than cars from those countries entering Thailand even if they're poorer than Thailand - it's because Thai customs and finance companies do NOT permit their cars to be taken out of Thailand until the loan is paid off. In very rare cases, such as if you go on a caravan tour, you may be permitted to temporarily take your car out of the country after paying a deposit to the finance company but it comes with many conditions. When I inquired about this when I first bought my car on finance, I was told flat out - NO I won't be granted permission to take the car out of the country as long as the loan hasn't been paid off. 13 months into a 60 month loan, I paid off the whole thing, saved some interest in the process and have since taken my car out of the country 25 times. The blue book is always demanded, even when exiting for Laos, which uses the purple international transport permit. 

Of course, you could always keep the original blue book at home until such time you need it for a border crossing, otherwise just keep a copy in the car. Personally, I keep mine in the glove box because I don't want to forget it when I go on a trip abroad and there is little reason for me to worry about the car getting nicked. Car theft in Thailand is very rare, unless you were stupid enough to give someone your blue book as collateral for some kind of debt. Thailand isn't France or Poland or for that matter, South Africa.

• Thanks 1