Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

There are many penniless people who unscrupulously declare false income

How do they eat and sleep indoors, here?  I haven't seen them out begging in front of 7-11 with the Thais (whose job-opportunities immigration is busy taking away, by keeping their customers out of the country).

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It's not "petty cash" to people who retired to Thailand in-part due to it being a fairly low-cost/overhead location. 

So 800K baht is not petty cash? That is a low cost requirement!

How in the whole wide world can somebody even think about retirering in a foreign country without a minimum buffer like measly 800K baht?

Edited by HappyAndRich
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, giddyup said:

Pure speculation that they are reading anything here.

You keep replying to people, but you don't say anything. And again, I can't find the ignore feature, in mobile it is impossible to find. 

You are such a waste of time!

• Haha 1

The Australian Embassy went down this track about a year ago then reversed its decision but I don't think that will happen this time. It is disappointing that the Australian Embassy has made this decision and I question their right to actually take this action.

The Attorney Generals Department Of Australia authorise Consulate staff to witness the signing of a Commonwealth Statutory Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act. Their duty is not to verify the content of the declaration but to follow the procedures required as a witness to the signature.

As they are duly appointed by the Attorney Generals Office, I personally don't believe they have the right to refuse witnessing the document once the identity of the person has been confirmed. To the best of my knowledge (coming from a legal family) I don't know any duly authorised witness who has refused to sign. 

Whilst I understand that some people may provide false or misleading information it is not the job of the Embassy to be prosecutor, judge and jury. This decision effects everyone that uses this method. In addition, no thought has been given to Australian citizens who get these declarations for other purposes such as income and life insurance companies that request this information as mine does.

I personally believe the Australian Embassy should re-instate the issuing of these declaration and Thai Immigration should request further supporting documentation (if required) as sometimes happens at several Immigration offices.

Perhaps a second option for Thai Immigration would be to let a Notary Public witness these Statutory Declarations and supporting documents as they are empowered to do so by the Attorney Generals Office.

Either way, I think its time the Australian Embassy support Australian Citizens and our the expat community that is here in Thailand. They obviously do not understand the consequences of what their actions could cause in the future.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

How in the whole wide world can somebody even think about retirering in a foreign country without a minimum buffer like measly 800K baht?

So you think £20,000 ( pounds sterling ) roughly is measly. 

Your arrogance is beyond belief.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, certacito said:

It is called Thailand 4.0 and there never was a timeline announced.

"However, the government has yet to set out a clear timeline."

http://country.eiu.com/article.aspx?articleid=1746126758&Country=Thailand&topic=Economy

In correct the dreamer announced a 12 month completion. In a address

My GF laughed .

I not need you to tell me little man

3 hours ago, jimn said:

I am sorry but you miss my point. What I am saying is the rules state 65,000 bath and this is GROSS income. In fact my pension is quite above that so my NET income is over 65,000 anyway so my point is about the rules being GROSS and now the advice is saying NET income so thats a change. I dont consider the peice of paper to be worthless. I had to give evidence of my income to get it. The reason I dont want to move 65,000 into a thai account is because I live on the money when I am not in Thailand which is 5 months a year. In addition I have expenses in the UK that have to be paid on my property when I am in Thailand. So its not as clear cut as you seem to think it is. I own outright a house in the UK and via my wife a house in Thailand. So its not about not being able to afford it but is about choice of lifestyle. Apologies to those Aussies on here. I know I am speaking about the UK but the same principles apply all the same.

Still simple and easy. Out of the reason that you go back and forth during the year, I can understand that you do not want to automatically transfer money to Thailand every month. However, you must have enough to can set aside 3 x 65000 baht.

If you start transfer those 3 month before renewing your extension every year as well as you manually transfer 65K every month you are here. I will think Immigration would accept that. That way you have all your money in UK when you are there, and enough money in Thailand for getting your visa and to live here.

The 3 month you transferred for visa, you bring with you back home when you go back, and do the same procedure with the same money next time. Immigration never said you have to spend the money, only show that you have them.

Edited by HappyAndRich

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So you think £20,000 ( pounds sterling ) roughly is measly. 

Your arrogance is beyond belief.

What do you think you will need if you would come into problem, be responsible for an accident or get sick? It´s irresponsible to yourself and your family to not have it?

That is not arrogance. It´s called facts. And yes! It´s a measly sum for a person that considers them self rich enough to retire in a foreign country.

Edited by HappyAndRich

16 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

You keep replying to people, but you don't say anything. And again, I can't find the ignore feature, in mobile it is impossible to find. 

You are such a waste of time!

I said "pure speculation", not clear enough for you? 

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

What do you think you will need if you would come into problem, be responsible for an accident or get sick? It´s irresponsible to yourself and your family to not have it?

That is not arrogance. It´s called facts.

Your reply confirms exactly what I stated above.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I said "pure speculation", not clear enough for you? Here's another tip, tap on your user name to find the Ignore button, a five year old could do it.

You don't add anything of substance, anything on topic. First pages on this topic are cluttered with you spam.

Do you know how tiring it is to scroll through on a mobile?

These embassy threads are 100 pages long, maybe hold back, unless you have anything to say.

Edit, found ignore, so keep going!

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

There is "insurance" for that.  It's something people get who cannot "self insure" with a pile of cash.  With "insurance", one only needs "cash" to cover the deductible.

4 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

That is not arrogance. It´s called facts. And yes! It´s a measly sum for a person that considers them self rich enough to retire in a foreign country.

I hope we are not confusing "total assets" one might have, with "spare cash to put in a Thai bank, because immigration won't accept our incomes, any more."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

You don't add anything of substance, anything on topic.

These embassy threads are 100 pages long, maybe hold back, unless you have anything to say.

Your opinion is of little import to me. Not sure what's substantive about your post just criticising me, but carry on, water off a duck's back.

Edited by giddyup

On 11/2/2018 at 10:07 AM, sfokevin said:

The problem with your logic is that enough of your neighbors have lied on these affidavits to cause Immigration to remove them as an option... Now your neighbors will figure out a scam to rotate 65k in funds in and out monthly or falsely state 800k in the bank... This will lead to Immigration to requiring even more proof or just making the 800k a year round sum required... 

No! That is not the problem!

Person living on 45.000 THB can live in Thailand just fine. I'm not really retired, only spend 6 months of Europe winter here, and I spend less than 40.000 THB.

If people with 40.000 THB income are now kicked out, it's simply cruel. And stupid, but this is Thailand, do stupid suits it perfectly! I love, and I hate this country, now that my retired friends will very likely have to leave. This is very cruel, but very Thai! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Today I have contacted the Australian Attorney Generals Department who is the controlling body for the Government Statutory Declarations Act and have asked about who I can go to to have a Commonwealth of Australia Statutory Declaration signature witnessed if the notarial section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok refuses to witness my signature. When I get a reply I will post it on here which I believe will not be before Monday or even Wednesday as everyone stops in Australia for a horse race called the Melbourne Cup which is run on Tuesday 6th.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

So 800K baht is not petty cash? That is a low cost requirement!

bragging, are we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven't red all! I think this is related to that many people come into TH and have no insurance or funds to cover hospital bills. They don't know what to do and this is a way of doing something from the consulates to help the hospitals. Same with the request for an insurance when you want to open an bankaccount. We will see...

7 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Really?

You don't see Thai government want us out? 

So they are tightening the screws drastically as a practical joke?

They do not want us here, get this through your head! 

There would be simpler ways of doing that, no more visa's longer than 90 days and only one per year.

14 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Really?

You don't see Thai government want us out? 

So they are tightening the screws drastically as a practical joke?

They do not want us here, get this through your head! 

Sure they want us here............if we have enough money and bring it in to Thailand. Can't measure up to the standard they set? Then, you're right. They don't want you.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

There is "insurance" for that.  It's something people get who cannot "self insure" with a pile of cash.  With "insurance", one only needs "cash" to cover the deductible.

You cannot count 100% on insurance. Many cases, reasons and excuses to not pay.

I know one guy who crashed his bike in a wall and severally hurt himself. Happened he just had a happy meal with friends and he had drink a little wine. Hospital found his blood was a bit over the authorised limit. The insurance refused any payment... It's just one example among many.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Sure they want us here............if we have enough money and bring it in to Thailand. Can't measure up to the standard they set? Then, you're right. They don't want you.

What about someone who receives 55k every months? Clearly Thailand does not want him here. Is that smart policy?

Don't make this personal, I'm under 40, I'm just commenting on Thai stupidity and cruelty. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

What about someone who receives 55k every months? Clearly Thailand does not want him here. Is that smart policy?

Don't make this personal, I'm under 40, I'm just commenting on Thai stupidity and cruelty. 

If you are under 40 why does any of this concern or affect you? And if the Thais are so stupid and cruel as you keep mentioning, why would you even want to visit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wharria said:

March 2018, April 2017, June 2016 I have had Non 'O' visas every year for the past 14 years

Could you please confirm it was;

1. Multiple Entry;
  2. from the London Thai Embassy;
  3. you’re not receiving state pension.
  4. And what supporting documents (financials) you provided.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Some banks , including Bangkok Bank , will not open an account for you unless you have a work permit. We've had several threads about this the last year , the banks are refusing tourists and retired people. 

For the "locked" social security deposit account, Bangkok Bank requires a letter, yes, another letter, from the US embassy.  Just gotta love those letters.