What turkey options available for November?

watcharacters

Turkeys are called 'gai ngung' in Thai. It's usually very difficult for a farang to pronounce properly as the 'ngung' has that dreaded 'ng' sound twice making it hard to get your tongue around.

I breed turkeys as a hobby. Despite their reputation as stupid I find them fascinating. They're easy to tame.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

The OP was looking to buy a turkey in November,  

The question was asked why would anyone (operative word being anyone) eat turkey in November  Not why would Thai people eat Turkey in november. to which I replied "Thanksgiving is in November. For those who are not familiar with Thanksgiving, it is an American holiday where among other things a turkey diner is consumed.For more info on Thanksgiving Google is your friend.

It's not only an American holiday and our's is in the month of October.

2 minutes ago, pegman said:

It's not only an American holiday and our's is in the month of October.

I did not know that .

I googled the subject and was surprised to see that nine other countries also celebrate Thanksgiving . IMO everyone should.

If you don't mind, What country are you from and how is Thanksgiving celebrated at your country?

Here in the US the whole family gets together for a nice Turkey dinner. It is always a pleasant affair.

My apologies to the OP for changing the subject.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, natway09 said:

Cooked & then frozen    Yuk........

I believe that's to get around the Thai FDA concerns about imported fresh birds potentially having some kind of U.S. avian flu potential.  Once the bird is fully cooked and then frozen, the flu concern no longer exists.

At these rates, I think I'll wait to indulge until my next trip back to the States!

1384699153_2018-11-0520_37_33.jpg.5f63d98538eeccc17987d8ad009e5fdd.jpg

I was looking back in the U.S. today....

The prices above seem to be in the $8-$9 per pound range.

The supermarkets in the U.S. are selling the same turkeys for $2 per pound. The example below is from Pavilions-Vons.

230165713_2018-11-0521_07_22.jpg.fc0e59cd350c705877e0bac2bd8fcfec.jpg

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

I did not know that .

I googled the subject and was surprised to see that nine other countries also celebrate Thanksgiving . IMO everyone should.

If you don't mind, What country are you from and how is Thanksgiving celebrated at your country?

Here in the US the whole family gets together for a nice Turkey dinner. It is always a pleasant affair.

My apologies to the OP for changing the subject.

Canada. Ours is 2nd Monday of Oct. Sir Martin Frobisher supposedly held the first one up in the far north in 1578. In the tradition of European harvest festivals. By in large the Canadian - American dinners are about the same. A line in my family arrived in New England in 1631 and spent 150 years there until we headed north to Upper Canada when the domestic terrorists took over. We share many holidays and what not due to our shared origins although I've always found it strange that you guys missed out on Boxing Day.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Canada. Ours is 2nd Monday of Oct. Sir Martin Frobisher supposedly held the first one up in the far north in 1578. In the tradition of European harvest festivals. By in large the Canadian - American dinners are about the same. A line in my family arrived in New England in 1631 and spent 150 years there until we headed north to Upper Canada when the domestic terrorists took over. We share many holidays and what not due to our shared origins although I've always found it strange that you guys missed out on Boxing Day.

Thank you for that.

Ok, so I looked up Boxing day and was relieved to find out it is not a day where you all beat   each other up. . LOL 

10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Buy a 10 lb capon at Tops. 

I was in Tops in Future Park in Rangsit yesterday and they had turkeys for about 6,500 baht. I was a bit too shocked by the price to look closely, but I think that the price per kilo was just under 400 baht.

25 minutes ago, Ombra said:

I was in Tops in Future Park in Rangsit yesterday and they had turkeys for about 6,500 baht. I was a bit too shocked by the price to look closely, but I think that the price per kilo was just under 400 baht.

local birds or imported ones?

less than 400 / kg not too bad

about the same as for big river prawns

49 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

local birds or imported ones?

less than 400 / kg not too bad

about the same as for big river prawns

I think that they were imported. My wife wasn't surprised at the price. She said it was roughly what we paid when we lived in Abu Dhabi a couple of years ago.

On 11/4/2018 at 12:42 PM, Guderian said:

it was around 1000 Baht/kg. Crazy.

Yes indeed.

I guess  Macro's Norbest  turkey @ ฿ 1000  per bird will just have to a fond memory.   3 - 4K THB is beyond what I'm willing to pay.    On some things I simply  draw a limit.    I can go along with the program regarding the price of cars vs home country prices but with turkeys, the price difference is out of control.    I'll be OK to do without a turkey.

That translates to ฿ 71. per kilo @ 99cents per pound.  And if there's any issue whatsoever, the store would take back the  turkey and refund the purchase price.

oct-31-nov-6-p1.jpg

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that.

Ok, so I looked up Boxing day and was relieved to find out it is not a day where you all beat   each other up. . LOL 

555, more like our biggest retail sales day. Simular to your Black Friday I believe. Stores get rid of all the inventory that didn't sell before Christmas.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, Villa Market said:

Thanks for the shout out @NCC1701A !

Ye, indeed we do have a selection of Thanksgiving options available in our Pattaya store at the moment. 

We can provide you with a hot, full turkey meal with all the trimmings - orders need to be placed 3 days in advance. Please either call 02-779-1000 or email [email protected] for more information. 

image.png.b5ee0af32bfa3693b9cc9a4e3309f985.png

We also have our famous baked ham and ribs products available again this year.....

image.png.08bc5eceed55e2adc345768ac4b6c50b.png

We also offer a range of frozen turkeys from both Norbest and Butterball. 

image.png.db1a003ecd9c3a6fb8ab2b67181b45f5.png

Please reach out to us with your requirements for Thanksgiving and Christmas and we'll do our best to help you out. 

My requirement is to not support price gouging and/or ridiculous import rules and tariffs,  A friend just posted his Turkey purchases.....He paid 258 THB for 2!  14 pounds each...about 20 THB per Kg...nice 3000% mark-up...His are Shady Brook Farms, which is far superior to Norbest, and the other one should be called Movie Theater Butterball, because that dupont like liquid they baste it with is like the stuff they put on the popcorn at movie theaters.

donsturkey.jpg

21 hours ago, moontang said:

My requirement is to not support price gouging and/or ridiculous import rules and tariffs,  A friend just posted his Turkey purchases.....He paid 258 THB for 2!  14 pounds each...about 20 THB per Kg...nice 3000% mark-up...His are Shady Brook Farms, which is far superior to Norbest, and the other one should be called Movie Theater Butterball, because that dupont like liquid they baste it with is like the stuff they put on the popcorn at movie theaters.

donsturkey.jpg

Where do you buy Shady Brooks here? 

donsturkey.jpg.26b4a97ee4685cb80de04aa866ae4a9d.jpg

Turkeys in US markets are “loss leaders”, products sold at s loss to get customers in the store on big shopping days.

When we would buy Turkeys at the plant to give out to employees for Thanksgiving & Christmas we would always have to pay 2-3 times what you could buy them for in the markets.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Turkeys in US markets are “loss leaders”, products sold at s loss to get customers in the store on big shopping days.

When we would buy Turkeys at the plant to give out to employees for Thanksgiving & Christmas we would always have to pay 2-3 times what you could buy them for in the markets.

in my example, yes, but full retail would only be 70 THB ....and it is not anywhere close to that here.  The list is pretty long on what is a ripoff, here.  Still good value in some other basics.  HQ of the shoot yourself in the foot club.

Archived