Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

37 minutes ago, transam said:

Hmmmm, well I am going to buy a traffic cone so I can stand in the middle of the road to avoid a fine...But I will be standing there thinking those diesel trucks passing by will be doing more harm than me....????

You may want to keep a low profile if you do that. :giggle:

Bong traffic cone.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Can't wait for them to ban farting in occupied rooms. Then within 15 feet of an occupied room. Then altogether because it creates an ozone hole in the atmosphere.

Sorry to go of topic, but this comment really calls for it. Did you by any chance enter Thailand yesterday as a teenager together with parents or legal guardian?

That is about the level a not fully grown up person would lay and compare the discussion on. Or maybe it was supposed to be funny, what do I know. I might be totally wrong. You just lost me completely here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tonboy said:

Many people die in road accidents and bad health due to alcohol. Especially in Thailand. Let's get this forbidden first. You agree ?

No, and I already tried to explain that subject before in this discussion, and will not try again.

And what is not forbidden with the subject your are mentioning? Driving drunk is already illegal and therefore forbidden.

Edited by HappyAndRich

27 minutes ago, DLock said:

Relax <removed>...it's just the Internet.

Let me repeat for you - I don't care about the argument of second hand smoke killing me. It's unlikely as I choose not to hang around smokers.

I just don't like smoke or smokers. So, I am very happy to see these continual impediments.

We won. It's over. Get used to it.

I shall do no such thing. I'll flout the new laws as much as I can get away with an effort to irritate people such as yourself. You must stand up to bullies wherever you find them.

Notice you didn't begin to appraise my question / argument I put to you re: forthcoming abolition of other pass-times, following smoking. Interesting, I'm sure it's something you never considered.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, poanoi said:

i wont be able to comply if farting becomes outlawed,

will i at least be offered nembutal if i cant comply with law ?

i wont be able to comply if farting becomes outlawed,

Congratulation you've just have been named President of the T.V. Poetry Club:tongue:

15 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I shall do no such thing. I'll flout the new laws as much as I can get away with an effort to irritate people such as yourself. You must stand up to bullies wherever you find them.

Notice you didn't begin to appraise my question / argument I put to you re: forthcoming abolition of other pass-times, following smoking. Interesting, I'm sure it's something you never considered.

...and there Ladies and Gentlemen is the reason you smokers have such a bad name and your "rights" keep getting taken away.

Not only do you smell, but you attitudes do as well.

Carry on kid. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

And what do you do with your buttends. ??

16 minutes ago, transam said:

You never heard of waste bins, or sand bins provided for butts....?

Hmmm, well I suppose I do hang out at posh venues....????

????

Personally, I always have an empty tic tac container in my handbag for my butt-ends when 'out and about' - as there aren't many waste bins or sand bins provided.

When walking my dogs on the beach, I only take a few cigs. with me - and dispose of them in the cig. packet, which will then be put in my bin at home.

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I wonder if they'll make an exception for the chainsmoking Chinese tourists... 

I personally hope they prosecute chain smoking farangs in farang bars who pollute the atmosphere for us non-smoking farangs. They are in Thailand and covered by their laws.

i can see another backflip coming stand by , how are coup muppets lawmakers going to enforce this law ? or is it just for farangs and chinese tourist ! crikey cops will love this idea tea money reinstated  

Edited by Mad mick

36 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

If you "deliberately irritate" people , people who would like to avoid you , that makes you the bully 

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I'm not being impeded from smoking the occasional fag where I actually enjoy it - with mates in an outdoor setting that is geared up for it - or - at home. As I said, I'll flout the new law as much as possible as it's a load of BS.

The day is coming, I am sure when I and millions more will have our existence encroached upon to the extent that we can't drink, smoke, eat what we like or think what we like. The freedom of speech bit is already long gone. These kinds of actions are supported and even advocated for by the PC brigade - like yourself. Shame on you.  

You're welcome.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I have to admit that I'm not as fastidious in this respect as I'm lucky to live next to a very quiet, 'locals' beach - and my dogs nearly always shit away from the beach area.

I do however, always have a plastic bag in my pocket, so on the rare occasions they shit somewhere that could possibly cause annoyance, I clean it up and take it home for disposal.

Very commendable. 

Good job :jap:

9 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

You misunderstand - those who criticise the smoker aren't willing to avoid them or live and let live, that's the whole point here. I am happy to avoid others and take my occasional ciggy out of doors (as is already the case all around the developed word) and thus not impose on an indoor environment.

You previously stated that you "deliberately irritate" people by smoking , I have seen this quite often , smokers frequently wait until someone gets their food and then spark up , just to irritate them .

So, smokers who are standing one step outside a restaurant with all the smoke blowing in , shall I take my food and go and sit across the road to avoid the smoke ?

• Like 1

I have one of those spray bottles that spray out a fine mist. I usually load it up with thousands of chemicals and walk around spraying the mist in the vicinity of people.. they always get upset and look scared.. I don't get it.. just a couple thousand chemicals mixed with air. Nothing harmful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darhut said:

Maybe Sir Richard Dolls answer may be quite different now (if he were still alive) that statistics show that if you are a non smoker and live with a smoker you are 30% more likely of developing lung cancer. Not so minimal after all.

Not cancer no, but certainly other serious problems.  Nevertheless that's pretty hardcore and far removed from the odd whiff out on the street.

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You previously stated that you "deliberately irritate" people by smoking , I have seen this quite often , smokers frequently wait until someone gets their food and then spark up , just to irritate them .

So, smokers who are standing one step outside a restaurant with all the smoke blowing in , shall I take my food and go and sit across the road to avoid the smoke ?

OK firstly - it sounds like you're appropriating behaviour to me that I don't engage in, which is a little out of order, IMO. What I said is I would 'flout the new law' and would take pleasure in the fact that by doing so it would irritate certain jobsworths on this forum who want to see a personal liberty of many removed altogether. It (the newly proposed law) is a draconian and unnecessary measure, furthermore it's an imposition on people who are not doing anything illegal to begin with. 

The issue I and many others seem to have is with OTT restrictions on smoking outside, especially when in an urban setting. 

'I am happy to avoid others and take my occasional ciggy out of doors (as is already the case all around the developed word) and thus not impose on an indoor environment.'

An outdoor area of a cafe on the street in ANY town or city is already subject to far more automotive pollution than cigarette smoke - which is a bigger risk to anyone's health than a few puffs of tobacco smoke that dissipates in the wind within a couple of seconds. Therefore the only argument to be made is the smell - that is why I try to be considerate around others - especially when eating. I think it should be up to each premises to decide their own rules on this topic - many have an outdoor smoking area that is distanced from the non-smoking outdoor area. That works fine. If a place doesn't allow smoking even outdoors then it would probably not attract a clientele that smoke in the first place, anyway. Having some balance to this issue is key, otherwise just ban the whole concept of 'smoking anything' and be done with it. 

I wonder what pass-time will take the next hit though? Probably one of the other unhealthy ones that you and others do approve of /indulge in ????. I wonder what the reaction will be then?

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DLock said:

...I'm pretty sure I'm not going to die from second hand smoke, or probably even exhaust fumes...and these are the usual trollish rubbish thrown out by both sides to redirect futile arguments.

For me, it's pretty simple. Keeping smokers as far as way from me is a good thing. I just find it repulsive.

Millions are dying worldwide from air pollution, so don't be so sure of that. Second hand smoking- you're probably right unless heavily exposed.

• Like 1