S1000RR 2019

eisfeld

BMW just released the new S1000RR 2019 which is a completely new generation for the bike where most things from frame to engine have been changed.

It now makes 207HP at 13,500 RPM, 133Nm at 11,000 RPM and always more than 100Nm from 5,500 to 14,500 RPM.

The design has been changed and I really like the Motorsport colors, it looks fantastic. BMWs level of design is coming close to Ducati level. I can't even make out where the tail lights are. A nice weight reduction to 197kg has also been achieved and with optional packages you can drop it to 193.5kg while still road legal, mind you.

The really interesting part imho is that BMW put their new ShiftCam technology that they first introduced for the big GS also in this Supersport bike. This should mean that it also down low has some nice grunt and smoothness. But we'll have to wait for actual ride reports to see if that's true. Reviews of the GS said it's amazing that a 1250cc twin can cleanly pull without stutter from 1500 RPM...

There's one F*-You that BMW pulled and it's a bit of something that gives me pause. The Motorsport color (white/red/blue) is only available in the M-Package which includes the carbon wheels and costs a whopping 3500 Euros in Germany. That's more than 130k THB if you want that color and I'd really want it, the red isn't nearly as nice.

nsc_produkt_teaserlarge_s1000rr_yn2e.jpg.asset.1540389097021.jpg.a5a3af68f92a83ce5c59270178118894.jpg

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2019-bmw-s1000rr/

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

I can't even make out where the tail lights are.

Figured it out. The tail lights and indicators are integrated into the license plate holder. This will make tail tidies quite a bit more complex and expensive.

P90327388_highRes_bmw-s-1000-rr-frame-.thumb.jpg.396b196deb926c7c2a817c605105e27b.jpg

MCN: http://www.mcnews.com.au/2019-bmw-s-1000-rr/?fbclid=IwAR07vI6wDj1LmqUeWUZXpwQSqdEONZCVB3qeluqXveaWr0_hZsxKLVGaM5Q

P90327360_highRes_bmw-s-1000-rr-racing.thumb.jpg.2b4f1af2982c9c718b492f319a557728.jpg

P90327378_highRes_bmw-s-1000-rr-11-201.thumb.jpg.693c96a296553d84a5a083aa973a497d.jpg

I Like it! Heard talk of 14,000 pounds for the base model so possibly 850,000 ish in Thailand given the week pound, strong baht and Thai import tax ?

I actually prefer the red, looks like an inline 4 Panigale and that subframe on the motorsport color looks awful.

I think the 2 indicators turn red to make a brake light. I'm quite tempted.

Wow, it finally got a tft screen ????

Until today the old school display alone would have made me buy the Panigale if i ever wanted to buy a 1000cc supersports bike.

Imho the Panigale still looks better, but now it would be a tough decision

Me being an old fashioned Luddite as most of the forum users know in this section, sorry but i just don't get any of it.

None whatsoever.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Reviews of the GS said it's amazing that a 1250cc twin can cleanly pull without stutter from 1500 RPM...

I mean it's a 2 cylinder 1250 fer chrissakes. The thing should be pulling trees out of the ground at tickover!

It's called having a bit of flywheel....

I saw a tech vid a few months back about the latest & greatest 1200 Ducati sportsbike, the guy is waving this crank about in one hand and it looks like it's out of a 250. No, a 125.

Shit, proper crankshafts - you need two hands just to lift them off a bench...

It now makes 207HP at 13,500 RPM, 133Nm at 11,000 RPM and always more than 100Nm from 5,500 to 14,500 RPM.

Gosh, is that meant to be good?

Serious question.

14 and a 1/2 k? Horrible. Ghastly.

Back in the real world, i was testing various air cooled 803cc Ducatis at our local dealers today, a measly 75 bhp and 50 Ib ft torque (never have figured the new money metric version out), point being, pulling away from traffic lights on a dry road in the middle of the city with obvious diesel impregnation the back wheel was spinning like a good 'un... And another part of the city, locking the back wheel up with too much brake due to the same cause.

Carry on with your 207 bhp....

The really interesting part imho is that BMW put their new ShiftCam technology that they first introduced for the big GS also in this Supersport bike. This should mean that it also down low has some nice grunt and smoothness.

Er, VVT? or variable valve timing, but in BeemerSpeak?

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Me being an old fashioned Luddite as most of the forum users know in this section, sorry but i just don't get any of it.

None whatsoever.

I mean it's a 2 cylinder 1250 fer chrissakes. The thing should be pulling trees out of the ground at tickover!

I saw a tech vid a few months back about the latest & greatest 1200 Ducati sportsbike, the guy is waving this crank about in one hand and it looks like it's out of a 250. No, a 125.

Serious question.

Back in the real world, i was testing various air cooled 803cc Ducatis at our local dealers today, a measly 75 bhp and 50 Ib ft torque (never have figured the new money metric version out), point being, pulling away from traffic lights on a dry road in the middle of the city with obvious diesel impregnation the back wheel was spinning like a good 'un... And another part of the city, locking the back wheel up with too much brake due to the same cause.

Hehe, I get where you're coming from. And yes, I also think that nowerdays a lot of motorbikes have pretty questionable fueling or in general performance down low. That's why people are happy to get back some well behaved engines down low ????

I have one of those 803cc air cooled Ducatis and yes, you can spin the wheel easily on the diesel laden surfaces they call roads. But low down torque is a different thing entirely to high end HP. And let me be honest, I would not be able to utilize 200HP. I'm not a racer. I've ridden the 2017 S1000R for a whole day though and I can say the 165HP there can be a ton of fun in the right circumstances. Just every now and then... a little bit crazyness sprinkled around ???? Going 200kph and the speedo still climbing fast... not for everyone. In the rest of the times I'll take the torquey grunt. Torque gives a lot of satisfaction. It's a great feeling. High speed high RPM big HP is another thing entirely. It's completely nuts and scary. If manufacturers start to be able to make bikes that can do both well, hooray!

The reason I'm interested quite a bit in the new S1000RR is because I actually want the S1000R, based on this one. Maybe 170HP but more torque.

Yes VVT is nothing new. Others do it as well in various different ways. Some better, some worse. This specific implementation by BMW seems to be pretty solid (as in you can't really feel the transition) from the early reports.

You are a twin guy and like I said, I totally get you. I love me some twin, I currently own 3 twins. But, I also love 4 cylinder bikes and their specific characters.

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I have one of those 803cc air cooled Ducatis and yes, you can spin the wheel easily on the diesel laden surfaces they call roads. But low down torque is a different thing entirely to high end HP.

Off topic, sorry Beemer in line 4 lovers.

The bikes were the Monster 797 and the (yummy) Desert Sled. Did'nt realize they had significantly different gearing.

797 4000rpm = 100kph

DS  4000rpm = 80kph

DS accelerated way quicker straight to 130 and i would guess run out of breath around 160. Which is fine for this style of bike.

Very very impressed with the Sled. Great suspension, single front disc marvelous, aim for the potholes i was avoiding on the 797.

The Monster would need to be the Performance + model with the Termi and Up Key for 40k more. The stock bike was embarassingly quiet.

Had 30 minutes and 30 kms on each of them.

Being 6'3". the 797 looks like an MSX on me....

Like a monkey on a kid's bicycle........

005.jpg.3a8619b240d85c6127a77eb2b8215c2e.jpg010.jpg.7d54afefb0d901a64a86b022810bdd66.jpg007.jpg.085f0774a863d08fc5b289a0289169b6.jpg

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

None whatsoever.

Serious question.

Gotta respectfully disagree with some of that. 100nm between 5500 and 14500 is a lot of torque across a lot of rpm. Keeping an in-line 4 howling at the 10, 11, 12k sweet spot is tons of fun.

I also like twins (and triples) but there is also something about riding a turbine smooth inline 4 that really does it for me. I miss my gsxr but don’t really fancy dealing with Suzuki Thailand with a “big bike” so this might be the ticket if it’s as street friendly as the previous generation of s1000’s.

I remember the time when 100HP was considered way more power than anybody would ever need, or even want.

Now it's over 200.

I guess in a decade or two we have 300HP bikes and scooters will start with 50HP.

I don't know if this world is going nuts or if I am just getting old and don't understand it anymore.

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Keeping an in-line 4 howling at the 10, 11, 12k sweet spot is tons of fun.

Where exactly will you do that?

On a racetrack and maybe on the German Autobahn, and that's about it.

I had a croatch rocket with the red line at 14,500RPM. Yes, great fun for a few seconds. And then I was way too fast for my surroundings.

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Keeping an in-line 4 howling at the 10, 11, 12k sweet spot is tons of fun.

For you, and obviously a large majority of riders over the decades.

Riders who like that in line 4 scream. Howl. Whatever.

But not for me.

My mechanical sympathy goes into mothering syndrome once i hear engines go past 9k. Preferably 8, or 7........

The only in line 4's i ever got was the last of the air cooled 1000, 1200, 1300, 1400 muscle bikes. Proper grunt, max rpm 9-10k.

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where exactly will you do that?

On a racetrack and maybe on the German Autobahn, and that's about it.

I had a croatch rocket with the red line at 14,500RPM. Yes, great fun for a few seconds. And then I was way too fast for my surroundings.

Yes, primarily on the track but there are lots of good roads in Thailand where you can open up a fast bike in relative safety at the right time. I wouldn’t be riding this bike to the 711.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

Great bike for the race track ,,complete over kill and pretty much waste of time for the roads,,great posing value though and looks mean as <deleted> on the road but what percentage are you gonna be able to use on road 20% to 30%.????

I disagree. They make excellent all round bikes and a lot of people tour on them. Others commute to work on them. They are probably the most street based of the superbikes with the benefit of being excellent track bikes as well.

I would much rather take a s1000rr for one of my weekend trips to the beach in rayong or the twisties in Kanchanaburi (200 km of mainly dual carriage way) than one of the bikes people often quote as practical such as Ninja 300, Cbr500, crf250l etc. No comparison in terms of safety and fun when surrounded by Thais in trucks doing typical real world Thai highway speeds (140-160).

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thais in trucks doing typical real world Thai highway speeds (140-160).

You should check your speedometer. I rarely see anybody driving faster than 140 and would say the typical speed is in the range of 100-120 even a CB500 does have quite some power left at this speed ????

43 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I disagree. They make excellent all round bikes and a lot of people tour on them. Others commute to work on them. They are probably the most street based of the superbikes with the benefit of being excellent track bikes as well.

I would much rather take a s1000rr for one of my weekend trips to the beach in rayong or the twisties in Kanchanaburi (200 km of mainly dual carriage way) than one of the bikes people often quote as practical such as Ninja 300, Cbr500, crf250l etc. No comparison in terms of safety and fun when surrounded by Thais in trucks doing typical real world Thai highway speeds (140-160).

Yep don’t disagree people use them for all sorts of things that don’t make it right though million bht + on a sports bike to commute to work on thatbyou can’t reall get out of 2 nd gear seems pointless to me,,,same on tight twisties a good rider on smaller bike would leave this bike behind on tight twisties.

nothing agaisnt sport bikes I have one ,it hasn’t gone on the road for 4 years track only,,,,,,,personally I prefer something more upright for roads and touring etc etc...Ducati hypermotard/strata,versys,s1000r,cb650........

If I had the money yes I’d have one and pose around on the road a little with it..why not it definitely has feel good factor, but there is much better options available for mainly road use.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

You should check your speedometer. I rarely see anybody driving faster than 140 and would say the typical speed is in the range of 100-120 even a CB500 does have quite some power left at this speed ????

I often take the 344 to Klaeng and I assure you loads of people do over 140. Lots of Benz and Bmw from Bangkok heading down to the beaches doing closer to 180. I've been tailgated beyond that speed.

Of course you could sit in the left lane plodding along at 120 if you want and that's fine, you're OK with a 250 or whatever if that's your preference. I prefer to be able to choose where I am in fast moving traffic rather than being a sitting duck being overtaken by idiots who leave me 50 cms of space as they blast by while scrolling through Facebook.

Plus lets be brutally honest it's much more fun on a nice fast bike.

6 hours ago, taninthai said:

Yep don’t disagree people use them for all sorts of things that don’t make it right though million bht + on a sports bike to commute to work on thatbyou can’t reall get out of 2 nd gear seems pointless to me,,,same on tight twisties a good rider on smaller bike would leave this bike behind on tight twisties.

nothing agaisnt sport bikes I have one ,it hasn’t gone on the road for 4 years track only,,,,,,,personally I prefer something more upright for roads and touring etc etc...Ducati hypermotard/strata,versys,s1000r,cb650........

If I had the money yes I’d have one and pose around on the road a little with it..why not it definitely has feel good factor, but there is much better options available for mainly road use.

Some good points. 

But I would argue that just because a good rider on a small bike could beat a crap rider on a s1000rr is not really relevant. In boxing we say a good big 'un always beats a good little 'un and the same applies to bikes given a rider of equal ability.

In terms of why people commute on a million baht bike (outside Bangkok type traffic) I would say why not? Maybe they enjoy it? Why drink decent wine when you can get pissed on lao khao.? Why buy a bed when you can sleep on the floor? And I say that as someone who has been known to sleep on the floor after copious amounts of crap booze ????

After a little consideration my comments are a bit wrong on this as I have been seriously considering buying a 2nd hand 2nd generation of these bikes,although this would be bought in the U.K. where you can pick them up for 400,000 bht and yes it would have been used mainly track with a little bit of commuting and possible little tour to Europe.

main reason for wanting to buy one was simply to experience the electronics on track ,currently used a completely standard 600 rr for 4 years on track.

decided agaisnt buying one at the Minuit and am continuing on with my plan of sticking with the 600 and modding it a bit as nothing more satisfying than blasting past a new 1000cc superbike on my 8 year old cbr....lol.

However would I buy a brand new or even 2 nd hand one in Thailand,,,,answer still no,would be a waste of time for me as no proper tracks or not enough Trackdays on, and bike not really suited to how and where I ride to n thailand????

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't expecting it but just to let people know: the new S1000RR is not at the Motor Expo. I also don't expect it to be at the Motor Expo in March. It usually takes about a year or more for a new BMW model to show up in Thailand.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, JonnyF said:

This, i had an R3 maxed out at 165kmh on Highway 12 and had Thais in cars overtaking me

The Ninja 300 i had in Australia, overtaking @110km/h or more and getting back to the correct side of the road as quickly as possible, you had to really wring it's neck

12 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

This, i had an R3 maxed out at 165kmh on Highway 12 and had Thais in cars overtaking me

The Ninja 300 i had in Australia, overtaking @110km/h or more and getting back to the correct side of the road as quickly as possible, you had to really wring it's neck

And your point is what.....cars are not allowed to overtake you?

only bikes are allowed to drive at fast speeds?

i watch a lot of you tube vids with bikers well I stopped now because most of the bikers are so annoying drive around erratically but as soon as a car does the same  the bikers are all over the car drivers abusing them.

completely understand on a bike or even in a car you want a bit of space on the road away from some of the other idiots,but some times we are the idiots too,I include myself in that statement.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:02 AM, eisfeld said:

I wasn't expecting it but just to let people know: the new S1000RR is not at the Motor Expo. I also don't expect it to be at the Motor Expo in March. It usually takes about a year or more for a new BMW model to show up in Thailand.

I follow BMW Thailand Motorrad on Facebook and they're trying to offload the 2018 models at the moment with some kind of "peace of mind" free servicing offer. It's a pretty feeble attempt if you ask me, given the extortionate price and the fact a new model has just been released. Drop 250,000 off the price and I might be interested, but a bit of free servicing? Not tempted at all. Close to a million Baht for the old model, good luck with that!

A couple of Thai's asked when the 2019 model would be released and they replied there were no plans to release it yet. In other words, after we've offloaded the outgoing 2018 models at top dollar. Thailand, the hub of really bad deals on premium motorcycles ????  .

58 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I follow BMW Thailand Motorrad on Facebook and they're trying to offload the 2018 models at the moment with some kind of "peace of mind" free servicing offer. It's a pretty feeble attempt if you ask me, given the extortionate price and the fact a new model has just been released. Drop 250,000 off the price and I might be interested, but a bit of free servicing? Not tempted at all. Close to a million Baht for the old model, good luck with that!

A couple of Thai's asked when the 2019 model would be released and they replied there were no plans to release it yet. In other words, after we've offloaded the outgoing 2018 models at top dollar. Thailand, the hub of really bad deals on premium motorcycles ????  .

Yea it's really annoying. Pay more and get less (service, old model). I still see old 2016 year S1000R in some showrooms that they are trying to get rid of. Sure, every country has left over models but then they really make you great deals for those. I haven't ever seen a great deal here. And when the new model comes here, you are teased by the next updated one in EU. I would already own a BMW if it were not for these things. Now I'll probably have to wait about 2.5 years more (1 year for Germany to get the new naked one based on this RR and then 1.5 years for that to come to Thailand). Or maybe another brand will release something amazing in the meantime (Streetfighter V4?).

Ducati, while suffering from a few of the same issues as BMW like high prices and not best reliability reputation, at least doesn't make this mistake. They bring their new models relatively quickly to Thailand and also (pretty much) the whole range of models. Maybe a few months delay but nothing that would make one change their buying decision.

When it comes to buying bikes, there's many times a bit of impulse in the decision process. A new great model gets released that one really really likes. All the media is overflowing with reports, reviews and discussions. People are trying to put down deposits even before having seen the bike in the flesh (Shut up and take my money!). But here BMW brings the bikes more than a year later when all hype is gone and people as well as the market have moved on. Don't think that's a great way to grow their marketshare in Thailand.

About the free servicing promo: yea I am not sure how someone who is thinking of buying a S1000RR is going to be swayed by this. But I also have to remark that Ducati did the same just when I was looking for a new bike and it was one reason that I indeed went and bought the Scrambler. Ducati had a reputation of extremely expensive servicing, less than stellar reliability etc and the 2 year worry-free program made the decision a lot easier and indeed I am pretty sure I saved something like 25% of the bikes price just because of that.

I recently spoke to a R1200GS owner from Buriram who said he liked the bike but was now looking into the Africa Twin because of the really high servicing (and small repairs) costs. If you ride a bike a lot, then service costs can add up over time. If you get 1 or 2 years free servicing then I can see that getting a few more sales BUT it will hurt the second hand market even more after that time's over.

• 1 month later...

The bike originally had delivery dates in March in Germany. Today the dealers were advised that the official launch is pushed back to June and one guy said he heard from a factory worker that deliveries really will probably start mid of July. No reason for the delay was provided but it seems BMW ran into some kind of issue, maybe with a supplier? Production of the new model should have already started and to delay all bikes means that something has to change on the bikes that were already produced. Not good but it seems that at least they are trying to ensure the bike is done properly before launch.

12 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The bike originally had delivery dates in March in Germany. Today the dealers were advised that the official launch is pushed back to June and one guy said he heard from a factory worker that deliveries really will probably start mid of July. No reason for the delay was provided but it seems BMW ran into some kind of issue, maybe with a supplier? Production of the new model should have already started and to delay all bikes means that something has to change on the bikes that were already produced. Not good but it seems that at least they are trying to ensure the bike is done properly before launch.

Yeah it's gonna be pretty much the first of the 2020 bikes by the time it's released. God knows when Thailand will get it but don't hold your breath.

They're offloading 2018 models in the US for 12,xxx dollars. Meanwhile BMW Thailand still want close to a million baht. 

Looking forward to some first ride reviews. Seems to be taking forever.

Archived