Marijuana bill shortened to allow quicker legislation

webfact

Marijuana bill shortened to allow quicker legislation

By KHANITTHA THEPPACHORN 
THE NATION 

027235bf1ae8827a287b00a98ad124cc.jpeg

File photo// The Nation Photo

With only 17 articles, cannabis may become legal next month; Prajin vows strict control.

THE CABINET will next Tuesday deliberate a shortened bill on legalising marijuana for medical use. 

The new version of the bill was proposed yesterday, and supporters reckon it will become law as early as next month. 

“This bill will only have 17 Articles,” Deputy Prime Minister ACM Prajin Juntong, who is also the justice minister, said yesterday. 

He said the committee on legalising the medical use of marijuana and kratom leaves (Mitragyna speciosa) and the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) had suggested that 17 Articles from two previously proposed drug laws could be used to prepare a shorter bill for the legalisation of marijuana. This suggestion was taken up. 

When a bill is short, relevant authorities need less time for deliberation.

Prajin said that though the bill features just 17 Articles, it would be comprehensive enough to allow plantation and possession of marijuana. 

“Only doctors, pharmacies and patients who need to use marijuana will be allowed to possess the drug,” Prajin said, adding that strict controls will be put in place, such as requiring patients to carry certification to prove they were prescribed marijuana. 

“The amount of marijuana one can have in possession will also be limited,” he said. 

He added that the Food and Drug Administration, the Public Health Ministry and the Office of Narcotics Control Board will work together to control the growing and use of cannabis when the bill is legislated. 

The scope of the bill is larger than the Public Health Ministry’s plan to declare marijuana as a narcotic in the same class as morphine – which means it can be used for patients. 

Over the past few months, Prajin has been pushing hard for the quick legalisation of marijuana for medical use. 

At one point, he even considered asking Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to invoke his special powers as National Council for Peace and Order chief to push the bill through. 

However, efforts to legalise cannabis for medical use have progressed significantly since then. 

NLA member Somchai Swangkarn said yesterday that the assembly would likely need just 45 days to deliberate the shorter bill. “This means the NLA should be able to clear the bill by around December 21,” he said. Somchai said Prayut hoped to expedite marijuana legalisation for the benefit of patients.

According to several doctors, marijuana can be used to manage pain from nerve damage and cancer, nausea from chemotherapy and loss of appetite among HIV patients. It is also helpful for seizures and chronic neuro-inflammation.

There are, however, lingering concerns about whether the authorities will be able to efficiently control marijuana once it is allowed for patients to use at home. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30358118

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-08
  • Thanks 1

GPO is ready to start producing marijuana oil tentatively next May

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37Pk1LLtRaUTY047ldOTPtI7

The Government Pharmaceutical Organization is set to start producing marijuana oil from seized marijuana in May next year, initially with a production target of 60,000 bottles per month at its extraction plant in the central province of Pathum Thani.

GPO board chairman Dr Sophon Mekthon said Wednesday that the state-run organization was waiting for the promulgation of the marijuana bill which is still pending in the National Legislative Assembly.

He disclosed that the board recently approved a 120-million baht fund for marijuana oil extraction operation at the facility in Pathum Thani province which, in the initial stage, will have the capacity to produce 60,000 bottles of marijuana oil per month.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gpo-is-ready-to-start-producing-marijuana-oil-tentatively-next-may/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-11-08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TurkAussie said:

It would be great for tourism if it was legalized across the board! Just remember there is not 1 documented death caused by Marijuana, hemp can replace fossil fuels including coal and plastics , it’s the only illegal substance known to man that our bodies have a whole system to process it , the cannibinoid system. 

I passed my car Licience , motor cycle Licience and 2 different classes of Truck Licience all while high on Marijuana!!

What Marijuana actually do With Your Brain and body:

https://lifehacker.com/what-marijuana-actually-does-to-your-brain-and-body-1693986467

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Because as a recreational drug it has far less deleterious effects than Alcohol, plus when used medicinally there is a wealth of evidence that it has many benefits. 

There are of course huge differences between the recreational use and medicinal use, the products are in fact two completely different classes of item, despite both being derived from the same plant.

Personally I'd rather adults were allowed to take whatever drug they want, but that will take a bit longer to happen.  

What do you mean by "completely different classes of item". The two active ingredients in MJ are THC and CBD. Both of these active ingredients can be present in medical MJ.

Maybe you are confused and are talking about Hemp, which is used for its fibers (not for medical MJ) and has very little of both THC and CBD.

Edited by 3stan
  • Like 1

"There are, however, lingering concerns about whether the authorities will be able to efficiently control marijuana once it is allowed for patients to use at home. "

This is beyond stupid statement. They already can't control it when it's illegal. I hate these anti-drug fantasies where if something is illegal its controlled. Marijuana is and always will be everywhere wether its legal or not. 

Edited by hobz

"I passed my car Licience , motor cycle Licience and 2 different classes of Truck Licience all while high on Marijuana!!"

there's a difference between smoking marijuana, being high and being delusional. Let me see,,, you drive well enough to pass several driving tests when you were high. At the very least,  you're a danger to the community. 

11 minutes ago, 3stan said:

What do you mean by "completely different classes of item". The two active ingredients in MJ are THC and CBD. Both of these active ingredients can be present in medical MJ.

Maybe you are confused and are talking about Hemp, which is used for its fibers (not for medical MJ) and has very little of both THC and CBD.

No, most medical marijuana contains much less THC than the recreational stuff, whereas for medicinal use the CBD is usually higher.

"Oyedeji Ayonrinde, an associate professor of psychiatry at Queen’s University, with a specialization in cannabis literacy, says the greater the percentage of CBD to THC, the more suitable the strain is for medicinal consumption. “The larger proportion of medical cannabis is focused on the variations of CBD content,” he explains, saying THC, colloquially associated with cannabis’ ‘high’, and mood elevating properties, is more valued for recreational use."

16 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Until you or a member of your family lose a life to one of them. :coffee1:

Making drugs illegal will not prevent my family members to take drugs. All it does is make it harder for my family members to get clean drugs and know what is in them. Most overdoses happen because the drugs are suddenly much stronger or they are tainted with fentanyl. Making it legal reduces deaths and harm from drugs. Also it saves taxpayer money that can be used to catch rapists and killers. Maybe when you or your family members gets raped or killed you will reconsider where you want your tax money to be spent.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, seancbk said:

No, most medical marijuana contains much less THC than the recreational stuff, whereas for medicinal use the CBD is usually higher.

"Oyedeji Ayonrinde, an associate professor of psychiatry at Queen’s University, with a specialization in cannabis literacy, says the greater the percentage of CBD to THC, the more suitable the strain is for medicinal consumption. “The larger proportion of medical cannabis is focused on the variations of CBD content,” he explains, saying THC, colloquially associated with cannabis’ ‘high’, and mood elevating properties, is more valued for recreational use."

Medical MJ can contain both. THC is responsible for the high, but THC is also used for medical MJ, like to promote appetite etc. Read again what you posted. It says "the larger proportion", not "all".

Maybe you dont like the idea of people enjoying one of the least harmful high on the planet?

Edited by 3stan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Actually several of my friends have died as a result of drug use.  Suicides and overdoses.  But more of them have died in road accidents and I still use cars and motorbikes.

Was drugs illegal when your people died? Did the law prevent their deaths? No. 

25 minutes ago, Peasandmash said:

"I passed my car Licience , motor cycle Licience and 2 different classes of Truck Licience all while high on Marijuana!!"

there's a difference between smoking marijuana, being high and being delusional. Let me see,,, you drive well enough to pass several driving tests when you were high. At the very least,  you're a danger to the community. 

I would rather share the road with high people (friendly, cautious) than share the road with tired and angry people. 

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1