Electric bills set to increase from January 

webfact

48 minutes ago, andre47 said:

If your comparison should make any sense you should compare your consumption (kwh) and even then....Australia is large...where in Australia? How is the temperature? (aircon) How many people are living here and there?

You can only compare the cost per kwh but not the final amount of your bill.

That is the only way to compare is cost and kilowatt consumption. Means nothing otherwise.

My water bill in Chiang Mai is usually around 100 baht for the month. My inlaws in Australia was $aud448 for 3 months but can't compare as I don't know how much water they used.

9 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

That is the only way to compare is cost and kilowatt consumption. Means nothing otherwise.

My water bill in Chiang Mai is usually around 100 baht for the month. My inlaws in Australia was $aud448 for 3 months but can't compare as I don't know how much water they used.

That is interesting.

Water bills are,however,an entirely different thing.

One would expect them to be higher in OZ (the worlds driest continent) and they are,

But electricity..no..

In equivalent terms..about the same.

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

That is interesting.

Water bills are,however,an entirely different thing.

One would expect them to be higher in OZ (the worlds driest continent) and they are,

But electricity..no..

In equivalent terms..about the same.

Yep, I want some of what you are on too.

Just now, Dazinoz said:

Yep, I want some of what you are on too.

Well..what I am on is moving between the two countries without an agenda-as I enjoy both.

therefore I can compare prices without a prejudiced eye and comment about both without the need to contemplate flogging useless real estate or tawdry trinkets in Chiang Mai,or any other place.

Whatever the price of electricity it was OUT two days a week in my province.

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..what I am on is moving between the two countries without an agenda-as I enjoy both.

therefore I can compare prices without a prejudiced eye and comment about both without the need to contemplate flogging useless real estate or tawdry trinkets in Chiang Mai,or any other place.

????

51 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

And for most people with a monthly bill of around 2500, it will represent an increase of 25 to 30 baht.  Not quite the terrible news some posters were expecting on reading the article, which could not even get the figures the correct way round, since as a previous poster pointed out, the current FT (deduction) rate is 15.90 to be reduced to 11.60, thereby representing a small increase in the bill.

At my (hottest months) power consumption of around 850 kWh, that's a massive 39.1 baht per month increase for me, or around 400 baht per year (taking into consideration cooler months).

45 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Indeed...

Always baffling [and backward thinking] as to foreign comparisons, which has nothing to do with anything.

Yet, many persist.

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I just  calculated...

My Thai bill against my  Aussie bill.

As posters may or may not realize there is a heck of a lot of controversy about the cost in Oz of energy..and rightly so..

Nevertheless my  Aussie bill is smaller and that does not take into account the numerous blackouts sustained under Thailand 4.0.

Forget about the useless water supply..

At the moment it stands at Australia..7,500 baht per 3 months..

Thailand-4,200 baht per one month.

Mate, you are way off, either in Oz or here.

My last bill in 2012 before I cam to live here was 512 bucks.  That's 12000 Baht. I had a pool, but it was on tariff 33 as was My hot water and aircon. Hardly used the air in that quarter, ending November. My last bill here in Udon was 1300 Baht. April, May is about 2500 to 3000. 3 bedroom house, wife and kid. Same as in Brisbane. Apparently power prices are 60% up on the 2012 ones.

Australia has just about the highest power costs in the world. Thailand near the lowest. 

5 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Mate, you are way off, either in Oz or here.

My last bill in 2012 before I cam to live here was 512 bucks.  That's 12000 Baht. I had a pool, but it was on tariff 33 as was My hot water and aircon. Hardly used the air in that quarter, ending November. My last bill here in Udon was 1300 Baht. April, May is about 2500 to 3000. 3 bedroom house, wife and kid. Same as in Brisbane. Apparently power prices are 60% up on the 2012 ones.

Australia has just about the highest power costs in the world. Thailand near the lowest. 

Maaate...

My last bill here (Australia) $227.30..(3 months)

My last bill in Thailand..3,800 baht per month..

Running basic appliances-tho' one small air conditioner in Thailand.

Without the added frisson of power blackouts and no water on a weekly basis.

Comparable size unit (apartment)

Better quality food-about the same price.

Edited by Odysseus123

7 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

This is shocking.

Is this live news?

It's brought me down to earth.

Currently my bills are enough already.

They really want to 'sock-it' to us.

I think I'll pull the plug on Thailand.

I'd just switch off if I were you otherwise you're likely to blow a fuse. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

This is shocking.

Is this live news?

It's brought me down to earth.

Currently my bills are enough already.

They really want to 'sock-it' to us.

I think I'll pull the plug on Thailand.

Good bye

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Electric bills set to increase from January

Sorry you will all have to suck it up. The Laos/China power suppliers have jacked their prices to Thailand because of the recent dam collapse. Someone has to pay for it.

Thailand in future will be relying on the sun and wind plus an unreliable and costly supply source from Laos. Good luck Thailand.

The PM's huge energy consuming Eastern Economic Corridor is not looking so good. 

6 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

you 2 guys need to be charged and put in a dry cell. And if they lock you up for a long time you can call it ohm away from ohm. Don't put up any resistance when arrested. I know watt they will do.

Don't forget the stronger the charge gets against me the more it will positively increase my resistance against it. I will end up incandescent and the end result will be a melt down.

Edited by overherebc

7 hours ago, tropo said:

My last bill was ฿4.04 per kWh - pretax. I wish I could get the ฿3.6396 they say will be average after the price rise.

Can I ask why on earth electricity is priced differently in different areas of the country?

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Can I ask why on earth electricity is priced differently in different areas of the country?

different costs associated with generation in different provinces I'd guess

see nothing strange with that

14 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Put a plug in it, overherb.

I'll be grounded at these prices.

Don't 'pile-on' the pressure.

Cost me a fortune to listen to AC/DC now.

13 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Guilty as charged.

I'll be more positive in future.

Enough of the negativity.

Try to be neutral as you look on.

I feel we are poles apart.

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

You know of course that I'm not well connected and rely! on my magnetic personality, however, I can switch that on and off and people say I blow a fuse too easily.

Oh, get off the grid, you two!   ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Nothing to write about?  It's a 37% increase and that's plenty "to write about", ain't it?

look dude, the rate now is pretty much 4.30 THB, if you rise of 4.3 SETANG is going to 4.35 and I believe the rise it's about 1.15%... Don't really know where you have studied math...

Edited by MekkOne
  • Like 2

Yup, we did similar when we first moved in. despite having a large number of outside wall lights they are all 5w LED's, in fact every bulb in the house is and our electric bills are typically around 900 baht a month - that's running all the typical household devices and gadgets in a normal fashion along with three outside water pumps. Even in the hot season, an initial spend on attic insulation was worthwhile since we hardly ever need to use any of the four aircon. units except in dehumidify mode during really hot weather - bills then circa 1,200 baht per month, never over 1,400 baht/month.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I just  calculated...

My Thai bill against my  Aussie bill.

As posters may or may not realize there is a heck of a lot of controversy about the cost in Oz of energy..and rightly so..

Nevertheless my  Aussie bill is smaller and that does not take into account the numerous blackouts sustained under Thailand 4.0.

Forget about the useless water supply..

At the moment it stands at Australia..7,500 baht per 3 months..

Thailand-4,200 baht per one month.

But what is your per unit rate charged at each source ? That is the only relevant comparison that can be made.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

But what is your per unit rate charged at each source ? That is the only relevant comparison that can be made.  

You are correct but he will only reply with a comment like:-

"therefore I can compare prices without a prejudiced eye and comment about both without the need to contemplate flogging useless real estate or tawdry trinkets in Chiang Mai,or any other place."

Go figure that comment.

• Haha 1