A proactive approach to our current embassy letters.

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Thank you for a great idea´..........

glegolo

Thank you for taking it seriously - Thailand has been innovative - their "tourist Police" are even better than Spain's (Who started a tourist Police system, I seem to recall) No reason why they cannot capitalise on this too..

• Like 1

I wouldn’t criticise your suggestion as it is plausible if it were a choice of paying 30,000 baht a year without the need to have 800,000 sitting in a Thai bank earning no interest I would be happy with that especially if you also were to have free hospital treatment , last year my wife needed an operation which was carried out in the Government hospital ( and very good they were ) we opted for a private room the bill was in the region of 80,000 baht that was for everything so no complaints ( I was quoted up to 500,000 baht at a couple of private hospitals ) . Some people will mock your idea as a retirement visa only costs 1,900 per year at the moment I use the 800k method and once the stamp is in the passport we live on that money and top up on the 9th month I did have an issue once when an imo officer wasn’t happy as he said he wanted to see money coming in every month even though at the time my saving account showed 1 million baht thankfully he moved on shortly after.

• Like 1

There is not a problem, providing all the Immigration Offices interpret their regulations regarding the Retirement Visa correctly, which is the nub of the problem.  Each Regional Office seems to be making up their own story of how to apply income.  Some are saying you MUST deposit 800/400K in a Bank three months before you apply for a new Visa.  This is INCORRECT,  If you can prove you are receiving 65/40K monthly in to your Thai Bank Account, you are complying with the Immigration Regulation.  For Brits, you need to read the Consul Website which notifiys the change of no longer providing the income affidavit.  It states quite clearly that the money deposit is an either or arrangement.  The danger is, is your Immigration Office up to date with the Regulation (?) and you all know how Thais do not like to be criticised due to loss of face and are quite likely to tell you to go away and do as they say.  So you all have a reference to the Regualtion, which by the way has been inforce since forever and is not a new one, strongly, strongly recommend you find out from your local Immigration Office what their interpretation of the Regualtion is and if it is different from what the Consul Website states, you need to either get on to your Local Hon Consul to take it up with you local Immigration Office (and that is what they are there for), or write directly to the your Consul in Bangkok, asking them to write to the Immigration HQ in Bangkok for them to advise your local office that they are not interpreting the Regulation correctly.

• Like 1

They did try and bring Farangs into the Thai health care system,

you paid a sum,cannot remember how much it was 2500 +-THB

I paid the sum as many others ,only for it to be withdrawn,a couple

of weeks later,my payment was returned,less the cost of the medical 

check up, also Thaksin brought in a law that Farangs living in Thailand

would be covered by health care,I had two years free health care under

it, until it was abolished ,maybe because it was a Thaksin law,or because

Farangs were abusing it by getting some very expensive procedures. 

So it has been tried twice,third time lucky ?

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, BB1958 said:
12 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is a lot about the visa system that needs reform, but your idea is just nuts, and far to simplistic.

Why would you suggest expats currently paying 1,900 per year pay 30,000!?

There is no problem to fix for most expats/visitors.

1900 is only to renew your extension as you know. Then, for me, Bht 60,000 health insurance, Bht 800,000 in the bank for three months. There will be a problem to fix for MANY UK, USA & Oz expats unless something is agreed next year.

38 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Some are saying you MUST deposit 800/400K in a Bank three months before you apply for a new Visa.  This is INCORRECT,  If you can prove you are receiving 65/40K monthly in to your Thai Bank Account, you are complying with the Immigration Regulation.

From what I have read, ALL Immigration Offices are saying/insisting that your Bht 800,000 has been in the bank for 3 months before you get your Extension (not Visa). And I have never heard of anyone getting an Extension because they simply had Bht 65,000 a month going into their Thai bank account. Up to to now it has been Letter of Income or Affidavit from your Embassy. But you can prove me wrong.

• Like 2

You put a lot of work into your post.  However, like others, your figures are way out.  We are talking mainly of retirees which you are putting at close to a million and expanding revenue figures on that basis.  Quite rightly, you excluded the top 3 but you omitted China who have no retirees here.

About 74.8% came for employment such as white collar jobs, Chinese-language teachers and tour guides, while 21% came for study and 4.2% to accompany their family. Some intend to return to China once they have made their fortune or succeeded in their endeavours.

Of the rest, after you take out people who are here working or on study course, the number gets to be quite small.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Interesting suggestions, thanks.

I think that a fixed sum paid on arrival for TOURISTS for health insurance would be a great idea. The amount could be deliberated and based on length of stay. If tourists also wanted private insurance, in addition, to provide higher coverage, up to them. This would be a source of revenue hopefully used by the Govt to support public hospitals and it would be a safeguard for visitors.

For people living here on retirement and marriage visas I am sure that 2,500 baht a month would be insufficient to cover the actual costs incurred by hospitals in treating them when sick. Don't forget that most are in the highest risk (of illness) age bracket.

It might be better idea to make it mandatory to contribute to the social security fund, in the same way that expats working here do already. Whereas expats pay a fixed percentage of their salary, those who don't work could pay a fixed percentage based on the minimum monthly salary for their nationality. For Brits right now that is 50,000 bat a month for example. The monthly contribution for employed expats is 5% of salary matched by 5% paid by their employer, total 10% or 5,000 baht a month. That might be a more realistic sum. Again, you could still have private insurance on top to provide higher coverage if you wanted.

As for waiving the 400,000/800,000 in the bank or 65,000 baht/m stipulation to cover living expenses, that is a different matter altogether. The 5,000 a month would cover health only, not living expenses. immigration would still need to see some assurance that you have enough to live on.

Why should a tourist pay for another Insurance when they have already taken out and paid for their travel insurance. That would be a good way to kill tourism for the country. As far as tourist go, all that should be needed is for them to show their travel insurance from their home country.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

You put a lot of work into your post.  However, like others, your figures are way out.  We are talking mainly of retirees which you are putting at close to a million and expanding revenue figures on that basis.  Quite rightly, you excluded the top 3 but you omitted China who have no retirees here.

Of the rest, after you take out people who are here working or on study course, the number gets to be quite small.

The figures (In your opinion) are way out. The figures are in fact NOT way out I was careful to avoid demographics - except as stated.

{SNIP}The Department of Employment reported that 18,812 Chinese obtained work permits last year, almost double the figure of 9,618 Chinese in 2011.

The Immigration Department puts the total number of Chinese nationals residing in Thailand last year at 91,272, however, academic studies have put the figure as high as 350,000-400,000 in the past decade. 

As the expatriate Chinese community grows, real estate investment is also on the rise as Chinese look for second homes in Thailand. The Suttangrak Group is developing housing projects worth five billion baht to sell as time-shares to Chinese buyers. Thailand as a base for business in Southeast Asia is becoming more common. Also, Thailand as a place to stay and work as a second home is also more common". {END} DUE TO FORUM RULES I CANNOT QUOTE MY SOURCE.

There are forum members who have commented on the rise in numbers of Chinese in recent times.

Thank you for your post..

17 minutes ago, Surasak said:

The idea is mostly sound and I have to admit, 30,000Baht/year is not a great deal of money, much less than my monthly income. If it would also eliminate the useless 90day reporting it would make life a lot easier.

Big joke, has proven himself to be a pragmatist - one never know but he may look at less costly methods of those pesky 90 day reports.

DISCLAIMER: I did NOT research this statement: I think the majority of long term expats stay within their homes. IF any of those expats moved around they must report. If they stay in their homes, they will at least touch base with immigration each year. There are many ways to implement a  different set of rules like this. But we are digressing

Thank you for your post..

A lot of people are saying that Thai Immigration have to change this or have to change that to suit us. Every country in the world has their own immigration laws and it is up to the different embassies to supply their citizens with the appropriate documents that are needed for each different country. Well, Thailand has its immigration laws and it is not up to Thailand to change their laws, it is up to our embassies to change their rules and supply us with the appropriate documents to suit the Thai Immigration laws. The 3 main embassies that are involved in this problem need to look at what system they can use that will provide the applicant with the documentation that Thai Immigration want

2 minutes ago, TPI said:

A simple solution is better than a complicated one, your solution is simple and easy to understand! Lets hope that the "powers that be" will give it a long moments thought!!

This is exactly what I hoped to achieve KISS principle - together with the "assumption" that these forums are monitored.

How many TV Members believe that: The numbers of posts saying "how they got round this, that or the other "rule" has contributed, in the very least, to where we are now??? I "suspect" this IS a factor. Others have suggested this also.

Thank you for your post

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I applaud you for taking the time to bring forth  a positive approach and while I could certainly agree to such a change, especially with the medical insurance- I see some difficulty getting this approved.

1.  The first step would have to be for the Immigration Commissioner- who is acting - to study the proposal and make a positive recommendation. 

2.  Since this would involve a major change- especially getting into the Thai healthcare system- it may need  Cabinet approval to include the Prime Minster.

3.  Once it made it past this- the Police Order could be amended.

The final hurdle is the fact that if an election is held at the end of February 2019- there maybe a whole new set of people to convince- there maybe a new PM; there maybe a new Immigration Commissioner; there maybe a transitional government if the votes don't line up with the Thai Senate involved.

Your proposal would take alot of time to get passed and implemented.  This doesn't mean it has no merits but the facts on the ground mean  it would be  difficult to get done quickly.

I would recommend that there be a real negotiation between the 3 Embassies who are refusing to issue the letters and Thai Immigration in which the letters are preserved as a bridge to either your proposal or a new proposal.  The Embassies continue to issue their letters just as they have- US/AUS with the Oath given and the UK also having an Oath given or outsourcing their letters to a third party.  Thai Imm accepts the letter as is with the proviso that they can ask for added documentation.  Both parties agree that this method will continue until a new proposal is acceptable that will benefit both the Thai Government and  those who seek  the  privilege of residing in the Kingdom long term.

At the very least- the Embassy Letters should be extended  for all of 2019 to enable the negotiation  be implemented and your proposal examined.

I get what you are saying, but, if these forums are indeed MONITORED I believe we have already shot our collective selves in the foot here. So many short sighted individuals "bragging" how they got around things, has already worked it's magic.  I personally do not see a "flawed" system being re-introduced. OF COURSE I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG.

When Mr Thaksin introduced expat insurance, I believe his plan lasted about two years..

Another plan here: http://www.tro.moph.go.th/download/Strategy/boardmeeting072556/1.3.1board.pdf IN THAI.

Plus as worgeordie pointed out there have been others....

The difference is the SIGNIFICANT revenue this plan can create for THAILAND. Thailand is what is important.

Beneath that, countless families that have made their home here, who currently survive quite well, albeit their incomes are modest. These people too need our support. Changing the goalposts for these people can be traumatic.

The "i'm alright jack's" of the forum have my enduring contempt.... If only karma were true!!

Thank you for your large and very civil post.