Thai Air Asia posts 655 million third quarter loss - fuel prices and lack of Chinese to blame

rooster59

Thai Air Asia posts 655 million third quarter loss - fuel prices and lack of Chinese to blame

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFhjKLqbnWi1Pp2fzu87pa65xCem6.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Airline Thai Air Asia have posted a third quarter loss of 655 million baht.

They have blamed the high cost of fuel and the downturn in Chinese visitors to Thailand, reported Thai Rath.

However, they are still in profit for the year to the tune of 611.4 million baht though this is 66% down compared to the previous year.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-10

• Haha 2

Its not difficult to see when they are operating flights at less than it costs to take a bus. They are taking on a lot of internal routes that never existed before and it takes time to build up business. Phuket Utapao is always full and they have a second flight down (but not back) now.

Personally I never have problems with Air Asia- one great advantage is you can pay for tickets in 7-11 and not have rip p off credit card costs.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

deputy prime minister gives Chinese tourists the big thumbs up.

Big thumbs up? . . . why stop there, bluesofa? I'll bet Porky has already drawn up plans for the next remote cabinet trip to be in the form of an islands cruise - the whole lot of 'em - but last I heard, they can't agree which type of boat to use.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Big thumbs up? . . . why stop there, bluesofa? I'll bet Porky has already drawn up plans for the next remote cabinet trip to be in the form of an islands cruise - the whole lot of 'em - but last I heard, they can't agree which type of boat to use.

But, if it starts leaking he can stick his 'thumbs up' and block the holes.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Air Asia does not operate out of BKK, they use DMK.

I am not surprised, there are much much better alternatives to Air Asia, such as Thai Smile or Nok, and without the cheapskate attitude and delays

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

I have flown all three and the main reason I stick with Air Asia is the flying times from my local airport which are better than Nok Air. We don't have Thai Smile at the local departure airport. I have used Thai Smile from Bangkok to Siem Reap, as well as Bangkok Airways.

I cannot say that I have any preference with these three mentioned airlines, in fact, Air Asia usually has the edge over Nok air and Thai Smile, on prices and flying times.

I have had slight delays with all three airlines but nothing overly significant, and always from Bangkok airports, Swampy and Don Muang.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Its not difficult to see when they are operating flights at less than it costs to take a bus. They are taking on a lot of internal routes that never existed before and it takes time to build up business. Phuket Utapao is always full and they have a second flight down (but not back) now.

Personally I never have problems with Air Asia- one great advantage is you can pay for tickets in 7-11 and not have rip p off credit card costs.

I think paying at 7/11 option only for domestic flights. Try booking an international flight and it's CC or online banking...latter of which is not easy for expats on extensions without work permits.

Also never had problems travelling with AA...usually on time, good cabin crew etc.

Only Emirates are cheaper and better BKK to HKG return by a long shot....baggage food wine movies etc.

Edited by orchidfan
mis-spelling
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I think paying at 7/11 option only for domestic flights. Try booking an international flight and it's CC or online banking...latter of which is not easy for expats on extensions without work permits.

Also never had problems travelling with AA...usually on time, good cabin crew etc.

Only Emirates are cheaper and better BKK to HKG return by a long shot....baggage food wine movies etc.

AirAsia does have small booth type offices in quite a few locations, you can go there to book a flight and pay for domestic and international flights.

Other budget carriers also have this set up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ossy said:

Well, we didn't see this coming, did we? What, with Swampy's wobbly tarmac problems and 'rude' immigration behaviour, it's starting to look like Thailand and air-travel just don't sit well together.

Imagine that.

All the while, most regional and national carriers are general stable and holding their own.

Seems as it's Thai operated airlines, in particular, that continuously seem to be struggling - Thai Airways, Thai Air Asia, Nok Airlines, etc.

Thainess to blame? 

I suspect that the highly successful parent Air Asia [outta KL] might be a wee bit frustrated with their Thai subsidiarity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ossy said:

Well, we didn't see this coming, did we? What, with Swampy's wobbly tarmac problems and 'rude' immigration behaviour, it's starting to look like Thailand and air-travel just don't sit well together.

you got the wrong airport but even so, how would " wobbly tarmac " effect profits ?  ????

• Like 1

I often fly CNX to HKG (Hong Kong) and always pay 7/11.  

Very handy and the flights on time, esp from CNX as Air Asia to HKG is first out of the gate, every day.

Flights not always full but at 70%, so perfectly OK for 2.5 hrs.

Only small problem is booking a tuk-tuk for 4:30am morning ride to airport.  At least the air along the moat good at that time of day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

AirAsia does have small booth type offices in quite a few locations, you can go there to book a flight and pay for domestic and international flights.

Other budget carriers also have this set up.

Plus most airlines have an office / booth at most airports, you can get flight details, make a booking and pay, cash or credit card.