Teacher probed after Buri Ram boy allegedly beaten

webfact

Teacher probed after Buri Ram boy allegedly beaten

By Surachai Piraksa 
The Nation

02ec18c2c4766e4e974954ea1d8cb4e3.jpeg

A Buri Ram school has set up a committee to investigate a parent’s allegation that one of its teachers made a Prathom 6 pupil do 50 jumping jacks in the hot sun and struck him 10 times with a wooden stick wrapped in duct tape.

The 12-year-old schoolboy’s mother revealed the Friday afternoon (November 9) incident and said her son had merely failed to recite a multiplication table. 

Piya Phutthapoh, director of Anuban Phutthaisong School in Phutthaisong district, said on Sunday a fact-finding committee had been established and would report its findings to the Buri Ram Primary Educational Area 4 Office within seven days. 

Piya said the unnamed teacher, who had made no public comment on the incident as of press time Sunday, admitted to punishing the boy, but the committee would decide whether the punishment was too severe. 

“If it was, the teacher would face a disciplinary hearing,” Piya said, vowing to ensure fairness for both sides in the affair. 

He admitted to being concerned about the boy’s mental state and had assigned other teachers to help his parents take care of him.

The boy’s grandmother, enraged by the sight of the boy’s injury, urged his teacher to take responsibility and said she might transfer him to another school if the teacher goes unpunished.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358315

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-12

When I read these articles and reports about committees being established to investigate the incident I cannot understand the reluctance of parents to report the matter to the police.

I understand that corporal punishment in Thai schools is not allowed, therefore when it occurs the teacher has assaulted the child which is illegal

I accept that the police are not the most proactive to press charges but there are channels through which it can be pursued and organisationations who will assist.

It says little for the mentality of the parents.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

While I agree the injuries should be dealt with and the teacher fired from teaching, I would like to know what REALLY caused the teacher to punish him.  Teachers in Thailand rarely care if you can recite a timetable as a matter of fact I think most of them would have trouble.  I am willing to be there is more to it than the boy has admitted

There usually is. In general, you seriously cannot take the opinion of the student as being flawless and factual.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

fact-finding committee had been established and would report its findings to the Buri Ram Primary Educational Area 4 Office

Representative of so many of today's problems. Pitiful. 

- Surely it's on camera or there are numerous witnesses to the act (or both) since it took place at school. There is no excuse for beating a child like this. Teaching license permanently revoked, blacklist the sadist, sacked on the spot, oh and bend the <deleted> of a teacher over and do the exact same to him in front of his pupils - I would bet he has a history of such offenses. See if he ever attempts an act of such abhorrence again - if he were ever able to work in a school again, which of course he shouldn't be. For anyone who thinks that's too harsh, just imagine it was your kid pictured above.

If it were my child he'd left those marks on, he'd see the above as getting off lightly.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

... any record history of teacher doing this before ? This doesn’t look like a one off of issuing corporal punishment. 

The dark sick possibilty is that some cases of Corporal Punishment that the sicko May be also getting a sexual kick out of it. 

Edited by mindfulness
Grammer
  • Like 1

In the Real world, the police and not the school (which of course has a vested interest in finding nothing wrong) would investigate the assault of a minor. But in Thailand no-one really expects the police to lift a finger to investigate anything. In the Thai way of thinking it's already happened and investigating it afterwards is a waste of time and effort.

My brother-in-law is a police inspector. I asked my wife what he actually does and she had no idea. Sums it up rather well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I, on the other hand, think that a teacher should never use this kind of punishment on school kids and even if the kid did an attempted murder on the teacher he should still be fired and prosecuted.

I don't agree to that severe form of corporal punishment but saying the teacher should not even do that if attacked is ludicris.  Below article is from California USA where a teacher has received  $100,000 from supporters after he kicked a kids ass and was later arrested for assault.

https://www.ebony.com/news-views/over-100k-raised-for-teacher-who-fought-student-over-racial-slurs