Democrats flip Arizona US Senate seat with Sinema victory

webfact

Democrats flip Arizona US Senate seat with Sinema victory

By Eric Bradner, CNN

(CNN)Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema will win Arizona's US Senate race, defeating Republican Rep. Martha McSally and flipping a seat that had been in GOP hands for 24 years.

McSally conceded the hard-fought race on Monday night -- six days after the election -- as county-by-county tallies of mailed-in ballots continued to increase Sinema's lead.

"I just called Kyrsten Sinema and congratulated her on becoming Arizona's first female senator after a hard-fought battle. I wish her all success as she represents Arizona in the Senate," McSally said in a video posted on Twitter Monday night.

Full story: https://us.cnn.com/2018/11/12/politics/sinema-arizona-senate-race/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2018-11-13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like McSally has made a rational and heartfelt concession...Trump will probably excoriate her on Twitter, once he wakes up.

He's probably out golfing. That whole thing about him dishonoring the fallen WW1 Americans in France probably made him hungry for a burger and hitting one of his golfing resorts, thereby making sure tax payers money end up in his pocket.:bah:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like McSally has made a rational and heartfelt concession...Trump will probably excoriate her on Twitter, once he wakes up.

It feels rather good to hear words which make sense from politicians.

Perhaps fair reasoning and logical thinking prevails after all storms we have seen over the past couple of years. 

19 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

John McCain's Senate seat comes open in Jan.  I'm pretty sure Gov. Ducey will appoint McSally for this.  

Seriously? She has just lost an election to the senate, so she can be appointed anyway?

Doesn't the popular vote count for anything?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

Seriously? She has just lost an election to the senate, so she can be appointed anyway?

This is normal practise when a sitting Senator dies, or resigns,  the Governor appoints a replacement for the remainder of his/her term.

After the term is up, then you get to vote

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is normal practise when a sitting Senator dies, or resigns,  the Governor appoints a replacement for the remainder of his/her term.

After the term is up, then you get to vote

It depends on the state so I don't know if 'normal" applies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG said:

But she was popular with the Republican demographic that tends to stand slightly apart from DJT's herd of clueless, red-capped sycophants.

• Haha 1

She won because the democrats made a huge door to door push getting people to vote . They outworked the opposition and she brought in the student vote from ASU.    

I don’t care for her political views , however, she  is a decent individual. She began as a public defender in Maricopa county .  I served with her on a human trafficking panel once and found her rather pleasant. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Penicillin said:

She won because the democrats made a huge door to door push getting people to vote . They outworked the opposition and she brought in the student vote from ASU.    

I don’t care for her political views , however, she  is a decent individual. She began as a public defender in Maricopa county .  I served with her on a human trafficking panel once and found her rather pleasant. 

Plus, she out spent her opponent about 3 to 1 in her campaign.  I think her push to get the student vote from ASU is what put her over the top.  Universities tend to vote Democrat.  

34 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Plus, she out spent her opponent about 3 to 1 in her campaign.  I think her push to get the student vote from ASU is what put her over the top.  Universities tend to vote Democrat.  

You know, it's possible to look this stuff up.  But I guess that's a bad idea if you need a fake narrative to console yourself:

Candidate Raised Spent Cash on Hand Last Report
Kyrsten Sinema (D) $18,929,335 $19,891,427 $1,301,542 10/17/2018
Martha McSally (R) $16,081,608 $13,557,950 $2,523,657 10/17/2018
  • Like 2