just arrived on a METV. I have to go immigration to notify my address?

That depends upon the whether the place where you are staying does the required TM30 report or not.

It also depends upon the office where you will be doing the extension application. Some would fine you for not doing the TM30 report within 24 hours of arrival at your residence.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kelboy said:

If you stay at a private house you must let the immigration know. It's the house master responsible to do this. If you stay in a hotel then they have to do it. 

I would do absolutely nothing.

But if you feel you must, get all her documents, passport etc. and do it yourself. She does not have to be there.

You do not need to take her any where let her rest by the pool while in my opinion, you waste your time.

• Like 2

forget it, it's a tourist visa. you don't have an address.
if they do say something at extension the small fine is probably worth the day you did not waste there. esp in bkk where hte office is way out there, paying taxi's etc.

Edited by Dick Crank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Or you can skip it and risk getting caught (like when you go to do an extension on your METV) and pay the fine or - if Big Joke catches you - arrested and deported.

(Remember all those news articles about the people being caught in their "Operation X-Ray" sweeps, whose only crime was they hadn't reported their address.)

There is no risk of getting caught, and no one can be arrested or deported for not making a TM.30 report.

The people being arrested had overdue 90 day reports (TM.47).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is no risk of getting caught, and no one can be arrested or deported for not making a TM.30 report.

The people being arrested had overdue 90 day reports (TM.47).

But the 'risk' is wasting a day getting it done after paying a fine, perhaps even being denied an extension.

There is good advice, and there is advice on how to 'beat the system'.

This forum usually provides good advice...

Edited by ParadiseLost

My story, which could be helpful for the OP >

I recently found out on the Thai Visa forum that to be in compliance with Thai legislation, the Thai authorities always need to be informed WHERE a foreigner is staying.

If you are visiting Thailand as tourist and stay in Hotels or Guesthouses while visiting the country, it is the duty of the Hotel or Guesthouse owner to report your stay to the local Immigration office (and that’s why Hotels almost always ask for your passport when you check in).

But it seems that this also applies when you are staying at the house of Thai friends or your girlfriend.

So my girlfriend needs to report that I am staying at her house, and the TM30 is the official form to be used for doing that.

Normally that filled-in official form has to be presented within 24 hours of your arrival in a Thai friends home at the local Immigration Office of the province you are staying.

In our case that means the Immigration Office in Si Sa Ket.  But that’s +70 kilometer from my girlfriends home!

And I read on the Thai Visa forum, that in case there is no Immigration Office in the province you are residing or if the Immigration Office is too far away, you can also present the filled-in TM30 at the local Police station.

The local Police Station simply needs to fill-in and stamp the Receipt of Notification part on the bottom of the document.

And you just need to keep the stamped copy of the TM30 in your passport.

In the past I have never had such TM30 filed, but last time when I re-entered Thailand overland at the Chaim Cambodian border the Thai border official told my girlfriend that she needed to report me staying at her house.

We didn’t do this, and we had no trouble later on.  But it seems that if you did not do this and you have to go to an Immigration Office for some reason during your stay, you can be fined.  And since Thailand is getting tougher on reinforcing their immigration laws for tourists and foreign residents, it is better to be in full compliance.

After all, it is little work.  Just filling in the TM30 form and submitting it to your local Immigration Office or police-station to have them stamp the Receipt of Notification part on the bottom

18 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

But the 'risk' is wasting a day getting it done after paying a fine, perhaps even being denied an extension.

There is good advice, and there is advice on how to 'beat the system'.

This forum usually provides good advice...

The good advice is: If the office you’re planning to extend at insist on a TM.30 report it is a good idea to make sure the person/s responsible makes the report.

Edited by elviajero

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The good advice is: If the office you’re planning to extend at insist on a TM.30 report it is a good idea to make sure the person/s responsible makes the report. 

I agree with Elviajero's remark.

If you are in Thailand on visa exempt or SETV, or only stay at hotels/guesthouses it is most probably not worth the effort to file a TM30.  However, if you are here on an METV (like the OP), chances are you may want to extend your 2 month stays at the local Immigration Office.  And then you could get fined (or worst be denied your extension).  So, if you are staying at friends/girlfriend, it is not a big effort to print out the form, fill it in and having it stamped at your local Immigration Office or police-station, and keep the stamped copy in your passport. 

Note: In past I applied already for 2 extensions during my METV stay, once at Si Sa Ket and once at Ubon Immigration Office.  I was not aware of TM30 and they did not ask for it, and I got the extension without hassle.  But I don't want to risk being fined or extension turned down, so I now have the filled-in TM-30 stamped at the local police station close-by (took 10 minutes, and had to show my passport and my girlfriends ID-card).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Seriously, are we all that worried? If you get pinged pay the fffine, otherwise your here to fill in forms??

Not worried about the fine (it's peanuts anyway), but the prospect of a possible refusal of extension by the IO or a non-compliance stamp in my passport I am not too keen about.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Not worried about the fine (it's peanuts anyway), but the prospect of a possible refusal of extension by the IO or a non-compliance stamp in my passport I am not too keen about.

They never stamp anything in your passport and don’t, as a rule, deny an extension because a TM.30 wasn’t filed.

They will usually issue the extension once a TM.30 is provided and any fine paid.

• Thanks 1

You are getting a lot of good information here and a lot of bad information as well.

Your whereabouts while in Thailand is supposed to be reported on a TM 30 form within 24 hours of your arrival, and when you change overnight locations. The arrival card address does not count. If you are staying visa exempt on arrival and you will not be going to Immigration for an extension or any other reason (proof of residence etc...)you are unlikely to have any concern. If you stay at a hotel or guest house they do it for you and they have a streamlined online process. If you stay at a friend/GF they are responsible to do it. If you rent a condo/house it is the responsibility of the house/condo owner or house Master. If you have a lease, you are the House Master. If the owner does not report your arrival, when you turn up at Immigration for an extension or for any other reason, you will both be fined. Now, every immigration office has slightly different protocols and reporting requirements. (and they may change) They range from not requiring you to report, to reporting whenever you return to your residence after being away or even doing a border bounce, Jomtien Soi 5 only requires you to file a new TM 30 when you change your principal residence. So while I am here for a year on a METV-SETV with my one year lease I just use my initial TM30 report. It is quite quick and painless. I recommend you do it. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Lived here for many years. Married, stay here in the retirement deal, and have my yellow book, driving license etc. Travel frequently overseas for work. I had never reported to immigration when I came and went till I read about this requirement on TV. Anyway, done it for the first time earlier this year and immigration officer told me and the missus not to bother doing it again, which we haven’t. Been in and out of the country a number of times since with no issues. 

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

You are getting a lot of good information here and a lot of bad information as well.

Your whereabouts while in Thailand is supposed to be reported on a TM 30 form within 24 hours of your arrival, and when you change overnight locations. The arrival card address does not count. If you are staying visa exempt on arrival and you will not be going to Immigration for an extension or any other reason (proof of residence etc...)you are unlikely to have any concern. If you stay at a hotel or guest house they do it for you and they have a streamlined online process. If you stay at a friend/GF they are responsible to do it. If you rent a condo/house it is the responsibility of the house/condo owner or house Master. If you have a lease, you are the House Master. If the owner does not report your arrival, when you turn up at Immigration for an extension or for any other reason, you will both be fined. Now, every immigration office has slightly different protocols and reporting requirements. (and they may change) They range from not requiring you to report, to reporting whenever you return to your residence after being away or even doing a border bounce, Jomtien Soi 5 only requires you to file a new TM 30 when you change your principal residence. So while I am here for a year on a METV-SETV with my one year lease I just use my initial TM30 report. It is quite quick and painless. I recommend you do it. Best of luck.

"If you stay at a hotel or guest house they do it for you and they have a streamlined online process."

They don't report for "you". They are reporting you to comply with their own responsibility to report.

"If you have a lease, you are the House Master."

No you are not. You are at best considered the Possessor. The house-master (if they exist) is the person named in the Tabian Baan as the head of household.

"If the owner does not report your arrival, when you turn up at Immigration for an extension or for any other reason, you will both be fined."

No they won't. The owner or any other person qualifying as house-master or possessor can be fined. Only one person is fined.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:59 AM, elviajero said:

You’re a tourist, you don’t need to report anything.

Reporting your arrival/stay is down to someone at the address you’re staying at, and that’s only required/enforced at some  offices.

Only partially right, a lot of us part timers (Tourists) own condo's in Thailand, if you own your place, you need to go yourself to immigration and report your address, if you're renting the Mgt does it, sometimes for a price.

Question:

Has anyone - Taken a TM30 that has been completed by the condo owner, but without the owner  present for TM30 submission - And successfully got the receipt tear off signed and authorised by Immigration?

Reason I am asking:

I took a TM.30 to CW Bangkok (application for No Immi O vIsa - Retirement) that was fully completed and signed by the owner - But It was rejected!

I took the same TM.30 back on the same day with a power of attorney letter signed with  National ID signed photocopy and it was accepted.

1 hour ago, spambot said:

Question:

Has anyone - Taken a TM30 that has been completed by the condo owner, but without the owner  present for TM30 submission - And successfully got the receipt tear off signed and authorised by Immigration?

Not sure if anybody can answer you question since TM30's are a new requirement at CW.

Most other offices will accept one without the power of attorney.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure if anybody can answer you question since TM30's are a new requirement at CW.

Most other offices will accept one without the power of attorney.

Thanks UbonJoe - Ahhh OK

That's probably why I didn't get fined - Even after 12 months without submitting the TM.30 by the owner. 

I’m in and out monthly (from Suvarnabhumi airport). 

My Wife & I rent. I’m not sure if im

respsible for the TM30 or the landlord.

I’ve never submitted a TM30 within 24hrs of my return of otherwise... 

with various travel & holidays etc I’d have to do it about 20 time per year. 

Its not once been mentioned at immigration upon departure at Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

I’m wondering if times are changing or if this is a bit of hot air. 

• Like 1