Australian man, Thai wife sentenced to death in Thailand for drug smuggling

webfact

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Will they be given the same chance as other Thais, who are sentenced to long term, or death, then granted bail, eg, a few years back, 2 cops up north, found guilty of murder, sentenced to death, let out on bail, never heard of since.

Hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

2 lorry loads of drugs were seized in the last few weeks, i wonder if they will be sentenced to death, just sayin ?? ah is it a joib only a Thai can do ha ha

You never hear of the Sentences that are given to Thai drug traffickers, can't be that heavy though, certainly doesn't deter anyone.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You never hear of the Sentences that are given to Thai drug traffickers, can't be that heavy though, certainly doesn't deter anyone.

Thai drug sentences are very severe , , easily get 20 years for selling yabba, on a second offence

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A Perth member of the notorious bikie group Hells Angels and his wife have been sentenced to death in Thailand for trying to smuggle half a tonne of crystal methamphetamine into Australia.

Half a ton, well they may be stupid to think they’d get away with that, but they certainly didn’t lack ambition. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

I have zero sympathy for death dealers and traffickers, too many lives are destroyed along with families and carreers, all for the sake of personal greed, if they happen to die from lead poisoning or a suddenly elongated neck, so be it.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thai drug sentences are very severe , , easily get 20 years for selling yabba, on a second offence

You know this how? It's never publicised and I watch Thai news every morning. Plenty of coverage of the arrests and cops standing behind a table loaded with a million yaba pills, but never any mention of the sentences handed down.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Half a ton, well they may be stupid to think they’d get away with that, but they certainly didn’t lack ambition. 

Plenty of traffickers getting away with importing amounts as large or larger of cocaine into the US.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You know this how? It's never publicised and I watch Thai news every morning. Plenty of coverage of the arrests and cops standing behind a table loaded with a million yaba pills, but never any mention of the sentences handed down.

One of my Thai friends got 20 years for selling , after get two years previously also for selling , couple of hundred pills and got 20 years

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

One of my Thai friends got 20 years for selling , after get two years previously also for selling , couple of hundred pills and got 20 years

I think it's the old story, who you know and how much you can afford to pay. Those with connections rarely do serious time or in some cases any time at all.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I guess his goose is COOKED alright.. for me, anyone who deals for drugs for profits, he has no place among normal, everyday people....

Of course you are including tobacco and alcohol sellers.

Correct?

Or only the drugs that those in power tell you are illegal drugs?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There we shall disagree. 

Especially as they were caught. 

I'm talking about all those that get away with it. The drugs wouldn't be so readily available, both in Thailand and the US if every drug smuggler was caught. So there has to be some smart drug smugglers out there, right?

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm talking about all those that get away with it. The drugs wouldn't be so readily available, both in Thailand and the US if every drug smuggler was caught. So there has to be some smart drug smugglers out there, right?

Maybe you’re right, but I’m talking about these two. 

Edited by Bluespunk

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know some posters will waffle on about being against the death sentence, but this <deleted> almost certainly knew the possible consequences, if caught, so zero sympathy from here.

Unfortunately, as stated, it won't be enforced, so why did the judge give it in the first place ? 

To send out a clear message to others who think it's worth the risk, it might just stick one day !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And drug smugglers wouldn't operate if there were no customers.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know some posters will waffle on about being against the death sentence, but this <deleted> almost certainly knew the possible consequences, if caught, so zero sympathy from here.

Unfortunately, as stated, it won't be enforced, so why did the judge give it in the first place ? 

Hint: It involves a large cash payment by a Western government to Thailand (the thai officials would like to thank the Aussies taxpayers). 

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I must say you have to admire their balls half a tonne of meth

Wonder why they didn't split it up into four or five lots? Same same like they do shipping it into the States from South America ( and other countries ) One gets nabbed, the other three or four get through.

8 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Wonder why they didn't split it up into four or five lots? Same same like they do shipping it into the States from South America ( and other countries ) One gets nabbed, the other three or four get through.

Because that would require four or five boats. " Cook is accused of coordinating the movement of the drugs from China to Thailand on board a yacht".

Edited by giddyup