Norwegian man's death: He had prostate cancer and wanted to stop treatment, Thai media

webfact

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Some see bad in good people, just remember, that good and bad often walk hand in hand ???? Some see Obama as the devil, other see it in Trump! Pick your choice visely. 

if good and bad walk hand in hand .....kill them both ! Hurry !

On 11/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, darksidedog said:

Very sad, but at least it seems he went on his own terms.

Don't you imagine he would have much preferred to take a cocktail of pills and   have a permanent sleep?

On 11/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, OmarZaid said:

After medical treatment, chemo and such, many patients suffer not only depression but also mental derangement, such that they are no longer thinking in a responsible manner. The manner of his exit suggests this. Poor feller. Docs do not always mangage this properly, and many are even unaware.

Or maybe he simply  "had enough"!

1 hour ago, lucjoker said:

if good and bad walk hand in hand .....kill them both ! Hurry !

I think Ættastupe is a better idea, than killing others when you feel you are done here! Just be a little bit smart when you do it, and not make so much noise about it, or harm others! Go out with a blast an honor! Who need swiss expensive clinic? Im for sure will end my life when I do not find any pleasure anymore, or sit back with pain only! It is my choice, and no drama around it. Some good music, good pills, and carbon monoxide. 

Anyway, Im far far away from that point at the moment, and try to live a good and healthy life until then! 

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

From your link:

Results

Hanging was adopted or contemplated for two main reasons: the anticipated nature of a death from hanging; and accessibility. Those favouring hanging anticipated a certain, rapid and painless death with little awareness of dying and believed it was a ‘clean’ method that would not damage the body or leave harrowing images for others. Materials for hanging were easily accessed and respondents considered it ‘simple’ to perform without the need for planning or technical knowledge. Hanging was thus seen as the ‘quickest’ and ‘easiest’ method with few barriers to completion and sometimes adopted despite not being a first choice

So many of these reasons do not apply to this guy's actions.

Have you a study that can explain why he went to great pains to dangle himself from one of the tallest buildings in the city instead of just using the nearest tree or cupboard door, or jump?

It may have something to do with the fact that his first attempt failed and he went directly to his back-up plan which was already set up based on his checklist as we have seen. We do not have the possibility to understand what exactly was in his mind as we may assume his mental state does not involve rational thinking….

RIP

Edited by ttrd

8 hours ago, Areboona said:

I am a 3 years now a prostate cancer survivor. I had a baccytherapy operation then to effectively kill the cancer in my prostate. If anything positive can be gleaned from this mans suicide it is this :- I urge all men over 60 to have an annual PSA blood test. It was this test result slowly increasing over 2 years that sent the alarm bells ringing. My consultant said it was only the fact that they caught it early that I am a survivor. Left another year it would have been another story. So if you do not get the annual PSA test already, get your backside to a clinic for PSA check NOW !!! So many men are either afraid, embarrassed or idle to consider their health important. My father died of prostate cancer, in the prostate its not good, but in fathers case, he was old school ,not wanting to get regular check ups, the cancer spread to his kidneys, bladder and other organs. Too late ,he died screaming in agony despite great care from Macmillan nurses. So I repeat, get your self annually checked!!!!!!!!! RIP Norwegian guy.

Likewise, I was diagnosed and treated in 2015/16. I had both hormone and radio therapy in an attempt to cure the disease.  I would also urge all men 50+ to get checked regularly.  You may find resistance to check ups from your doctor because the usual test - blood PSA level is not totally accurate.  A positive PSA test can only be confirmed by a biopsy, many of which prove negative which is why doctors don't like regular testing and why screening doesn't take place in the UK yet.  A negative test doesn't always mean you're OK either. However, its the only test we have at the moment (some developments are happening with MRI scans but they still need confirmation by biopsy at the moment) and I wish to hell I'd been aware of the disease and had a check up before I did.  Although I had treatment with the hope of a cure, I was pretty far gone and expect the disease to be back before long.  Had it been discovered earlier, I would not be in this position as early detection vastly improves survival chances.  Get tested guys, symptoms or not and push your doc if you have to!

I've heard that some people have the symptoms and suspect they have the disease but don't go to a doctor because they fear the impotence treatment can cause.  Well, that's not always the case and the chance of impotence decreases when the disease is caught early.  My treatment was fairly radical but I'm happy to report that 'things' are more or less back to normal now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So how could he still have the strenght to climb up there and bring all the stuff up to the roof.

It looks impossible to do all that in 1 time. So with his condition?!

Ever hear about that new concept called elevators?

Sure i have. But have you ever seen an elevator going all the way to the roof in those buildings?

This Norwegian guy used to be a magician. His stage name was Mad Max, and he always tried living up to that name. 30 years ago he made media attention in Norway driving cars blindfolded around fooling the police, and did other similar stunts, before settling in Thailand 10-15 years ago. Max Holden (RIP) had terminal cancer and lots of pain during his last year, so I will guess he just tried to do a last prank on the public leaving the scene of life in a spectacular way.

At the netsite of the Magical Circle in Norway you can find some pics of Max Holden in his healthier days, Pattaya 2011:

http://www.magiskecirkel.no/blogg/2011/04/ray-speedy-i-thailand/comment-page-1/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balo said:

No real doctors will tell you that .

It's just a hype and an excuse to legalize marijuana. 

Obviously.  I know that.

My remark was directed at the misinformed poster who was suggesting that cannabis oil would have cured this man's cancer in the same way that it allegedly saved his mother's life (presumably, and logically, by curing her cancer).

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:28 PM, KhaoYai said:

I've heard that some people have the symptoms and suspect they have the disease but don't go to a doctor because they fear the impotence treatment can cause. 

A lot more people also opt for active surveillance as opposed to treatment, given the often very slow progression rate of this type of cancer. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, lucjoker said:

if your life is over, dont kill yourself immediately .

In the short time you still have , do something real good.

Wipe out some real bad guy( e.g.Hitler, Pol Pot,.......) , you will be remembered for it. 

seems like a good idea, but given the number of nutters, I fear they would go and try to kill people who don't really deserve it.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:28 PM, KhaoYai said:

I've heard that some people have the symptoms and suspect they have the disease but don't go to a doctor because they fear the impotence treatment can cause.  Well, that's not always the case and the chance of impotence decreases when the disease is caught early.  My treatment was fairly radical but I'm happy to report that 'things' are more or less back to normal now.

actually, when the patient himself can detect the symptoms, the cancer is very likely to already be in an advanced stage, so the chances of remission without damage are not good.

the only way is to get regularly tested, PSA + finger in the ass to check for enlarged prostate.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:33 PM, manarak said:

actually, when the patient himself can detect the symptoms, the cancer is very likely to already be in an advanced stage, so the chances of remission without damage are not good.

the only way is to get regularly tested, PSA + finger in the ass to check for enlarged prostate.

I'm not sure and I mean not sure, that's correct.  I was indeed advanced (locally advanced) on diagnosis but although I recognised the symptoms when they were pointed out, I realised I'd had them for quite some time. An enlarged prostate is very common in older men and most don't have the disease.

Education is the key - education as to how to recognise the symptoms.  Although one thing I have never seen on any website or in any pamphlet I've received since diagnosis..... reduced amount of ejaculate.  That was the thing that was concerning me and I raised it with my GP during a regular check up.  I had the other symptoms as well - getting up in the night for the toilet but I just thought that was part of getting older. I'm pretty sure I'd had the disease for a long time before it was found. Read up on the symptoms but if you notice any changes in your urinary habits or have significantly reduced ejaculate - visit your doctor.  Most times it will turn out to be nothing but remember 1 in 8 white men will get Prostate Cancer at some point in their lives whilst with coloured men and those in high risk groups, that rises to 1 in 4. If you have a family history of Prostate Cancer, you are high risk.

PSA testing regularly...............most certainly.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not sure and I mean not sure, that's correct.  I was indeed advanced (locally advanced) on diagnosis but although I recognised the symptoms when they were pointed out, I realised I'd had them for quite some time. An enlarged prostate is very common in older men and most don't have the disease.

Education is the key - education as to how to recognise the symptoms.  Although one thing I have never seen on any website or in any pamphlet I've received since diagnosis..... reduced amount of ejaculate.  That was the thing that was concerning me and I raised it with my GP during a regular check up.  I had the other symptoms as well - getting up in the night for the toilet but I just thought that was part of getting older. I'm pretty sure I'd had the disease for a long time before it was found. Read up on the symptoms but if you notice any changes in your urinary habits or have significantly reduced ejaculate - visit your doctor.  Most times it will turn out to be nothing but remember 1 in 8 white men will get Prostate Cancer at some point in their lives whilst with coloured men and those in high risk groups, that rises to 1 in 4. If you have a family history of Prostate Cancer, you are high risk.

PSA testing regularly...............most certainly.

medical prognosis is not an exact science - I would think you were lucky!

3 hours ago, manarak said:

oh, so sorry about that ????

I thought you posted an example of recognizing symptoms in time to be cured.

I did - I'd had the symptoms for several years, I just thought it was part of getting older.  As I was so far gone, certain treatments that could have had a better chance of a cure were not available to me.  I remain convinced that if I had recognised the symptoms when they first occurred, I wouldn't be where I am today.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:43 PM, Mossman said:

Didn’t Thailand just legalize medicinal marijuana? Cannabis oil saved my mums life, could have possibly saved his too.

He was not from Thailand and legalize medicinal marijuana are only for Thai`s, and in Norway medicinal marijuana are illegal, bad bat tru.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, darksidedog said:

Very sad, but at least it seems he went on his own terms.

I doubt it was on his own terms. Civilized people would prefer to go quietly, in bed after ingesting a lethal dosage of drugs. This was a painful end and the deceased must have been  in such excruciating pain and torment to have selected such a painful end of life.

The PSA test is controversial.

Here is the update to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force comments on PSA testing:

"Based on a review of the evidence, the Task Force determined that the potential benefits and harms of prostate-specific antigen (PSA)–based screening are closely balanced in men ages 55 to 69 years, and that the decision about whether to be screened should be an individual one.

For men age 70 years and older, the potential benefits do not outweigh the harms, and these men should not be screened for prostate cancer"

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Announcements/News/Item/public-comment-on-draft-recommendation-statement-screening-for-prostate-cancer

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/11/522912221/federal-task-force-softens-opposition-to-routine-prostate-cancer-screening

9 hours ago, HereIAm said:

I thought prostate cancer has a very high survival rate. Is there something else to it ?

Hard to say that - it depends on 2 things:

1. The stage and state you are at on diagnosis

2. The type you have - aggressive or slow growing. Some, with slow growing are simply kept an eye on - no treatment unless things change.

There's a saying about prostate cancer - most men die with it, not of it.

Nevertheless, it kills 11,000 men in the UK each year.

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

The PSA test is controversial.

Here is the update to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force comments on PSA testing:

"Based on a review of the evidence, the Task Force determined that the potential benefits and harms of prostate-specific antigen (PSA)–based screening are closely balanced in men ages 55 to 69 years, and that the decision about whether to be screened should be an individual one.

For men age 70 years and older, the potential benefits do not outweigh the harms, and these men should not be screened for prostate cancer"

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Announcements/News/Item/public-comment-on-draft-recommendation-statement-screening-for-prostate-cancer

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/11/522912221/federal-task-force-softens-opposition-to-routine-prostate-cancer-screening

Controversial it may be but it would almost certainly have saved me if I'd been screened. Until there's something better, I'll continue recommending all men over 50 demand a PSA test every year.  Having an early sell by date is not particularly nice.