Brexit Secretary Raab resigns thrusting May's government into turmoil

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I have seldom agreed with Blair, but what he said about May is true, she was dealt the ultimate sh#t hand. The idea that the negotiations have failed is for banana brains and toff-turds like JR-M. There was no better deal to be had. We were playing with a rubbish hand against intelligent people who knew it. May - for all her faults - understood this. We managed in true Brit style to be naive, rude, guileless, pompous and deluded in our negotiations, but it only made the EU, with total justification, despise us more. 

Now we really are up sh#t creek in a big, big way. This is not helped by having an opposition leader who is a closet Europhobe, and has disappeared so far up his ideological posterior that a doctor couldn't locate him with a colonoscopy.

We are stuck between Tory leaders who would sacrifice their country for their careers, and Labour leaders who would sacrifice their country for their ideology.

Agree with you, except that I don't think the EU despises 'you'.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, steve73 said:

Looking like Michael Gove is being touted to replace Rabb.

Yes he was offered it but turned it down because he knew he couldn't change anything about it.  He may (or may not) resign his position in the cabinet.

I haven't been into the local Deli today but I do wonder if Raab will be in there having his "full English" as usual and reading the telegraph.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

A single customs territory sounds like a good thing. It will certainly make movement of goods in and out of the UK much easier, and surely has to be good for the economy. Or am I missing something here?

“Yes”you are missing something. The U.K’s position is, that yes they are willing to accept free movement of goods, however the E.U is only prepared to accept that as long as it Also includes the free movement of people. Something that the British people,especially those living in those areas, that have been effected by this E.U policy, have very democratically rejected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if we can't agree on how to leave  Europe   -  which  ( after 40 years )  is familiar to us  ,  how will we  be  able to rise to the next challenge of negotiating all those pesky little trade  deals  with all those far away countries  ,   strange  leaders
(  Duterte anyone  ? )-  many of which see us as their former colonial power and now coming begging bowl in hand .

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

The problem all along, has been T.May a confirmed remainer, as head of our government, able supported by the chief negotiator on the U.K side.

Olly Robbins.

In otherwords it’s been a complete stitch up from the very beginning. Similar to the situation in the Irish Republic, France,the Netherlands, when they also rejected an E.U directive.

Why was a Brixeteer never appointed to lead our negotiation team?

The last Brexit secretary, this very week resigned. The reason being that he did not negotiate this draft agreement. So much for Democracy,UK style.

Oxford PPE - sound chap - we're lucky to have him batting for Britain.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1