Hottest Thai Winter Ever?

Brunolem

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

That unit is kilowatt hour or kWh. 3000 Wh per day is 125W average consumption. 

I have a fridge and 5 LED lights on 24/7. I also have a table fan, a MiFi modem and a laptop. I consume actually less than 100 kWh per month. Probably about 70 kWh / month. 

Good on you then. I just like a warm shower now & then. Just asking but, why lights on 24/7?

Edited by wgdanson

I thought, the last 9 month were NOT the winter season but hot/ dry season  and rain- season - and the cold season will start next . so- a bit early to speak about winter-season now ...

did I miss s.th ?

but if you have nothing to say, nowadays you  can feel always up-to-date  , talking about "climate change"....

????????????????????????????????

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

CM has been raining almost everyday for the last 5-6 months now, on the bright side, this year there will be no need to distribute blankets to the hill tribe people of the north...

Not sure what part of CM you are talking about .In Hang Dong,southof the city, its dry as a chip.No more than 24 hrs rain in the last few weeks and the nightly temp is higher than normal ,still on ac.

Today at our home it was 33 degrees abnormally hotter than usual for mid November.

My Thai neighbour,in mid 70's, who has lived here all his life confirmed he's never known it so hot

33 minutes ago, oilinki said:

That unit is kilowatt hour or kWh. 3000 Wh per day is 125W average consumption. 

I have a fridge and 5 LED lights on 24/7. I also have a table fan, a MiFi modem and a laptop. I consume actually less than 100 kWh per month. Probably about 70 kWh / month. 

My GF told me that if you use less than 50 units a month, you get it for free. So turn those LEDs off, limit the fan use, and stop posting on TV, and you should get your consumption down.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, petermik said:

Yes we have had some downpours but it,s still bloody hot and humid here in Pattaya.....aircon still needed to cool the room before sleep at night......cool....I wish it was :whistling:

Not as hot as where all of you in Pattaya are going after kicking the bucket.

If you all went to church every once in a while like the good folks  at Chonburi ........:tongue:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My GF told me that if you use less than 50 units a month, you get it for free. So turn those LEDs off, limit the fan use, and stop posting on TV, and you should get your consumption down.

I have enough money to pay my tiny electric bills. There is no reason to show attitude, even if you don't like the answers. 

Anyway, end of the discussion about this side thread. Back to talking about the weather, possibly about the climate as well.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Brunolem said:

In theory, yes, but there is normally a shift in the weather pattern that used to occur in October, at the end of the rain season.

What used to happen is that the high pressure and dominant wind shifted to the North, hence bringing cool and dry air.

But this is not happening anymore, and for many years now instead of shifting to the North, the wind comes from the East, thus bringing heat and humidity.

Chiang Mai may not feel it as much because it is further away and in a mountainous area, with a different climate.

generally speaking you are correct.  cool seasons nothing like "the good old days" when sometimes had to bring two ladies home at night to keep warm.   Hasn't been like that for at least 10 plus years (the cold nights that is).  Two years ago we did have a really cold season though ( heaters sold out at home pro ).

This year so far its been....hot !  good thing my lady isn't fat or she'd be sleeping in the guest room.  Maybe time to give money to the wat and ask for some cooler weather.

57 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Not this again. 100 units per month = 3 units per day. Do you not have a fridge, lights, PC, fan?

Not sure where you see a problem ?

Last bill was 315 B for 73 units (kwH)

June bill was 431 B for 118 u, because of aircon

My recent fridge is given for 180 u/year, but I think a bit more than 1 u/day average...

My lights are celling lights LED 9W, 3 or 6 on at a time

My main fan runs 6-18H/day at low speed

My desktop computer must be on about 12H/day

No reason to have huge electric bill if you do not put aircon 24/24 at 18°C  :wink:

• Like 1

The modern Bangkok buildings have a minimum of concrete walls, most is covered by windows and people are struggling to cool the units with blinds and of course the aircons running at maximum. Solar panels should be integrated in the windows to make use of all that sun, which at least could make energy for the aircons. The solarcells would also make the windows tinted which would be a benefit during daytime.

I have always wondered where, with no walls, the furniture is placed. Cheap condos are almost all glass, great for the makers of silver lined curtains. I bought a cheap condo about twenty five years ago which had windows in walls, very much better.

Solar panels are a great idea solid panels could be placed at floor level where a wall would normally be, a saving on both electricity and curtains.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

It's been warmer later in the year this time around than previous years, where I am - Surin province.

Some chilly mornings and evenings last two 'winters' with mild temps during the day. Only last year my FiL said it was the coldest winter he could remember: 9 degrees C one morning at 6am in mid-December. 

But, as said, the cold season has yet to start - if this the norm in late December or January then I'll start to reconsider.

I'm lucky. I rent a place that has unlimited electricity and all other basic utilities included so I can run A/C 24hrs at no extra cost if I so choose.

Edited by SimonD
duplication

Been wetter this year near Phracuap khiri khan, i  was away last week when it chucked it down and flood everywhere

This week however!  ok, cool early  mornings and late  eve, but Days however seem similar to mid April ..painful

9 hours ago, Brunolem said:

In theory, yes, but there is normally a shift in the weather pattern that used to occur in October, at the end of the rain season.

What used to happen is that the high pressure and dominant wind shifted to the North, hence bringing cool and dry air.

But this is not happening anymore, and for many years now instead of shifting to the North, the wind comes from the East, thus bringing heat and humidity.

Chiang Mai may not feel it as much because it is further away and in a mountainous area, with a different climate.

CM most definitely feeling it. Used to needs duvets starting in October!

Here in BKK it's just like Summer or even worse. Today the temperature in my condo room was 32 degrees when I turned on the aircon to check the temperature!! Bloody hell, it usually peaks at a max or 31 degrees if I don't use any aircon, but usually around 30 degrees.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Amazing how folks can sense that .2 degree increase in temp from the last 20 years. You must be some really lame versions of x-men.

Cold season is still weeks away by the way.

I don't know what the data is for Thailand, but the summer increase in the USA has been close to 2 degrees Fahrenheit since the 1970s and due to local variation it can be a lot more in certain regions. In portions of Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada it has gone up as much as 1.3 degrees a decade. If you'd been living in the same region for 20-30 years that would be quite noticeable. 

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Amazing how folks can sense that .2 degree increase in temp from the last 20 years. You must be some really lame versions of x-men.

Cold season is still weeks away by the way.

I wish it was 2 degrees!

Let's put in some real numbers.

When I turn the aircon on, it is always set on 25 degrees,  in order to cool the bedroom during the night...not the day, but only the night.

Now, when instead of using the aircon I was sleeping fully dressed with a double duvet, say 10 years ago, the outside (and inside) temperature was around 15 degrees, sometimes a bit less.

So, we are talking about a more than 10 degrees difference!

As for the cool season, it officially starts in early November, when the Emerald Buddha is dressed for the occasion...at least that's how it used to be...

I am not expecting major changes in the coming weeks, even it is always possible that we will have a cold spell for few days or a week.

This is not a prediction taken from the weather report, but by some outdoors observations, such as my coffee trees being already in flowers even though the coffee cherries from the previous season are not even ripe!

There are also the missing migrating birds which probably decided to stay up North because it is warm enough for them with this new climate...

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

He's getting ready for the marijuana bill to pass.

Sorry Mr Big, never have touched the stuff, but maybe will when I get hurting. I was merely being curious as to why lights 24/7. Especially last night when you had the Leonids to light you up.

Edited by wgdanson

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Mr Big, never have touched the stuff, but maybe will when I get hurting. I was merely being curious as to why lights 24/7. Especially last night when you had the Leonids to light you up.

Its like growing quality extra large tomatoes indoors using hydroponics with a 24/7 lighting system except in this reference it wasnt tomatoes. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes. Here in Chiang Mai its warmer now than 2 months ago! High of 33 low 26... I checked the forecast for the next 2 weeks.. It starts to cool down December 1!Good! Water management isn't one of Thailands strong suits. Where does all that flood water vanish too? It's feast or famine for most of Thailand.

2 hours ago, Bournville said:

Yes. Here in Chiang Mai its warmer now than 2 months ago! High of 33 low 26... I checked the forecast for the next 2 weeks.. It starts to cool down December 1!Good! Water management isn't one of Thailands strong suits. Where does all that flood water vanish too? It's feast or famine for most of Thailand.

The water problem is not necessarily a result of poor government management.

First, it depends on how the rain season unfolds.

In a "normal" rain season, lasting for about 4 months, with daily showers, the water slowly penetrates the soil and replenish the underground tables.

If, like this year in our area, there are massive showers concentrated over a couple of months, most the water is lost, either through evaporation, or by rushing to the closest rivers.

Then, there are the changes in farming habits.

Farmers who cannot grow 2 crops of rice per year have been encouraged to grow other kinds of crops during the dry season.

The problem is that these new crops require constant watering, more than the underground reserves can provide.

As for the water reservoirs, first they need to be close enough, which is rarely the case in Isaan, and anyway the reserves can't last much if thousands of farmers start irrigating millions of rais...

• Like 1