Hottest Thai Winter Ever?

Brunolem

7 hours ago, whiteman said:

Down in Chonburi it is still raining in the week and cool for the last 4 months so great ????

Yes we have had some downpours but it,s still bloody hot and humid here in Pattaya.....aircon still needed to cool the room before sleep at night......cool....I wish it was :whistling:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is still plenty of time for temperatures to drop. Here in CM, the cool season is normally from December through to February. 

In theory, yes, but there is normally a shift in the weather pattern that used to occur in October, at the end of the rain season.

What used to happen is that the high pressure and dominant wind shifted to the North, hence bringing cool and dry air.

But this is not happening anymore, and for many years now instead of shifting to the North, the wind comes from the East, thus bringing heat and humidity.

Chiang Mai may not feel it as much because it is further away and in a mountainous area, with a different climate.

guess its varying a bit from year to year,

about 4 years ago here in Nonthaburi (next door to BKK), the night temperature was down to 13C in January, COLD

a kid,

the water in the soi was frozen to ice in the early morning when she got up.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never wore more than a t shirt, whatever the season.

I remember driving a motorbike around the mountains in Chaingmai wearing jeans and t-shirt "shivering to death"  on the shaded side..on the sunny side it was pleasantly warm.

Funny that you asked this. I have been sweating the whole morning today. I thought I was getting sick. 

Moment ago I visited my village in Phuket. All the folks were sweating and complaining about the heat. 

Here in Kalasin it it is certainly the warmest 'cool season' that I have experienced in the last 12 years.  Up until mid Oct it was hot & humid.. very unusual.. now it is cool at nights and early mornings are nice.. but this afternoon it is 35C.. and hot most afternoons .. occasionally getting a nice wind from the north east.. Seems to be same story everywhere.. Australia is in a serious drought with very early fire season started.. Look at California!  Western Canada.. 'my home and native land' is warm and dry for this time of year.. The world is getting hotter.. call it what you like.. 

According to the FIL the seasons have been strange this year. The wet season started early (late March) and was wetter than usual. It finished early in October, then 2 weeks ago had morning temps down to 14C with no rain. Last week it started to rain every day like wet season with morning temps back up to 20C. The last 2 days have been dry, hot and humid. It must be the weather.

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes if you call 28 to 30 degrees Celsius cool then its been cool..I call it hot ????

Temperature this month at night in Pattaya often 23-24°C only.

Certainly no need of aircon to sleep

and last 2 month got my lowest electricity bills for a looong time  (less than 400B!)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/november-weather/317584

paya-20181100.jpg

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is still plenty of time for temperatures to drop. Here in CM, the cool season is normally from December through to February. 

Exactly.  I don't expect cooler weather until Dec and the coolest usually in Feb.

55 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

35 or 36 degrees here in northern Bangkok suburbs EVERY day.

Aircon every night and NO rain.

Pretty warm????

31 C in my condo kitchen with no ventilation, zero fan or AC.   I'm near Sukhumvit 103.   

Another 35 degree day here in Mahasarakham Province with 60% humidity. In my view, the last two years have been cooler than usual and now we are reverting to normal weather. 

In our neck of the woods the wet season was steady, and good for rice, but few heavy storms has meant poor runoff and most dams are low.

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

As it is throughout the broader region. 

Concern and surprise derives from those whom haven't a clue. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

CM has been raining almost everyday for the last 5-6 months now, on the bright side, this year there will be no need to distribute blankets to the hill tribe people of the north...

ROFL. It hasn't been raining nearly every day at all and while we've had the odd wet day it stopped raining early October. Don't have to believe me - authorities are talking about a serious drought in CM because the rains were down this year during wet season.

Second - the annual hilltribe blanket efforts are well underway. 

Doi Inthanon has had at least three frosts already which is early compared to most years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Not this again. 100 units per month = 3 units per day. Do you not have a fridge, lights, PC, fan?

That unit is kilowatt hour or kWh. 3000 Wh per day is 125W average consumption. 

I have a fridge and 5 LED lights on 24/7. I also have a table fan, a MiFi modem and a laptop. I consume actually less than 100 kWh per month. Probably about 70 kWh / month. 

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The modern Bangkok buildings have a minimum of concrete walls, most is covered by windows and people are struggling to cool the units with blinds and of course the aircons running at maximum. Solar panels should be integrated in the windows to make use of all that sun, which at least could make energy for the aircons. The solarcells would also make the windows tinted which would be a benefit during daytime.

Yes, I do think with global warming and increasing energy costs, it's very short sighted to design buildings that absolutely need ac.

I'm lucky to live in a more traditional house design, and so don't require 24/7 ac.

• Like 1

Thailand Meteorological Dept. called winter Oct. 15 and it has been cold at night in Chiang Mai earlier than it usually is - you usually don't get regular nights below 20c until well into December but there's been plenty in the last month, even down to 14c in San Sai two weeks ago.

Doi Inthanon has had record cold mornings including frosts, something that usually doesn't happen until Dec-Jan.