Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya

webfact

Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya

9pm.jpg

Pictures: Sophon Cable

Thai media Sophon Cable TV has suggested that tourism officials in Chonburi are in denial about a crisis facing Pattaya.

They said that operators were reporting that Chinese visitors to Pattaya were down 60%.

But the Chonburi and Pattaya tourism reps were countering that this was not the case. 

They were putting a rosy spin on the reality.

While accepting that third quarter arrivals of Chinese in Pattaya this year were down on 2017 the situation could be explained in part due to less Chinese visitors coming on group tours, it was claimed. 

They said that increasing numbers of Chinese were now known as "FIT" travelers - that is to say they are organizing their own trips and are thus difficult to quantify. 

Sophon was reporting after a meeting at Garden Seaview Resort crunched the numbers and heard opinions. Present were TAT officials and local businessmen and operators. 

Some claimed Chinese visitors were down 60%.

46273034_2146178718736384_1685953806765916160_n.jpg

Mrs Amphai Sakdanukoonjit from Chonburi Tourism and Sports said that last year 17 million tourists visited Chonburi and 14.6 million came to Pattaya.

Figures up to August this year show that there really isn't all that much difference in last year and this when it comes to tourist numbers and tourist spending. 

Though she conceded that safety - especially water safety - was of concern to the Chinese.

The meeting heard that 40% of all tourist deaths in Thailand were Chinese tourists.

Other measures like easier visa on arrival would help the situation, said Amphai. 

Others told the meeting that figures for tourism were up in the earlier part of 2018. But since then the drop off in Chinese tourism has meant a third quarter fall of at least 10-12%. 

The message was that while the overall 2018 figures don't look too bad something needs to be done to avert a crisis as the underlying trend now is definitely down. 

Source: Sophon Cable

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-16
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

"Where have all the Chinese gone"?

Well I would say they have gone just the same way as every group of "quality tourists" that come to Pattaya. Once the reality of the place dawns and word gets around they will simply go anywhere else but here.

My other half was asking me similar questions a few years ago when the Russian families all but disappeared for a time. I simply put one question to her and she has never asked again, that question being: Would you like it and what would we do if we were on holiday here in the middle of Pattaya with our daughter?

Ultimately there is little here to interest or accommodate normal families, take away the bars etc, and what would there be to interest anyone? Here is a brief list of what Pattaya does have.

Endless prostitution.

Filthy sea and beaches.

Litter strewn streets.

Constant harassment.

Permanent traffic jams.

Having to walk on roads due to lack of pavements or pavements blocked with vehicles, retailers etc etc.

Nowhere to safely cross busy roads.

It is rife with crime.

It is rife with antisocial behaviour.

It is rife with corruption and dishonesty.

Constant harassment from police if you drive.

They now want to charge first world prices for third world quality and service.

You can go to nong nooch with her, bring swimgear and wait for a cold day. You can also sleep there in a small bungalow but 1 day is enough.

Myself i only like the foreign food in pattaya....

1 hour ago, pattayadgw said:

"They said that increasing numbers of Chinese were now known as "FIT" travellers - that is to say they are organizing their own trips and are thus difficult to quantify." 

Next, TAT and other government agencies will claim, is, that they have moved on to other places, e.g. Chiang Mai, or Chaiyaphum, and that they are now 'hard to track', being "FIT" travellers... ????

• Haha 1