Cult quality movies any one ?

Tweedle dee

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Informative answer..   ????     Thanks

You asked if you can source most of my downloads on that site, I replied "should do", so I'm not sure how much more informative you want me to be. I happily gave you the name of the torrent site I use, as well as where I download subs,  it seems some people are never happy.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You asked if you can source most of my downloads on that site, I replied "should do", so I'm not sure how much more informative you want me to be. I happily gave you the name of the torrent site I use, as well as where I download subs,  it seems some people are never happy.

Conversely, some people are always happy, like the late Queen Mother, and simpletons.  

I liked The Man In The White Suit, the film that set Sir Alec Guinness on a career to stardom

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I liked Avatar.  But if that's a "cult" movie, then I have no idea what the OP means by cult movie. 

"A cult film or cult movie, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. "

Hence Avatar.. But I must admit that my understanding of the "jargon" was a bit vague..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

"A cult film or cult movie, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. "

Hence Avatar.. But I must admit that my understanding of the "jargon" was a bit vague..

I was of the understanding that cult movies tend to have a passionate, but small fanbase.  But if we're including all movies that have a passionate fanbase, then yes, not only Avatar, but Titanic, not to mention all the successful franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Avengers, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, X-Men, James Bonds, Pirates...well, you get the picture.  If that's what the OP intended, then fine.

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I was of the understanding that cult movies tend to have a passionate, but small fanbase.  But if we're including all movies that have a passionate fanbase, then yes, not only Avatar, but Titanic, not to mention all the successful franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Avengers, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, X-Men, James Bonds, Pirates...well, you get the picture.  If that's what the OP intended, then fine.

I think why the OP was looking for was great movies he might not have heard of; like “Lust, Caution”, a film that I was surprised Cathay Pacific showed on board, and a film that should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to get involved in righteous causes

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think why the OP was looking for was great movies he might not have heard of; like “Lust, Caution”, a film that I was surprised Cathay Pacific showed on board, and a film that should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to get involved in righteous causes

Lust, Caution def counts as a cult film for farang, as do very evocative and emotional Chinese/Japanese films like Raise the Red Lantern, She A Chinese, the bleak, stunning Kekexuli Mountain Patrol,and others. But for a better known true cult classic, how about Bruce Dern in Tattoo (1981, I think). I still watch it sometimes. Or China Blue? 

????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Conversely, some people are always happy, like the late Queen Mother, and simpletons.  

I liked The Man In The White Suit, the film that set Sir Alec Guinness on a career to stardom

Now there was an actor ! on a par with Olivier.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Lust, Caution def counts as a cult film for farang, as do very evocative and emotional Chinese/Japanese films like Raise the Red Lantern, She A Chinese, the bleak, stunning Kekexuli Mountain Patrol,and others. But for a better known true cult classic, how about Bruce Dern in Tattoo (1981, I think). I still watch it sometimes. Or China Blue? 

????

My fave with Dern was silent running.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tweedle dee said:

Just made my way thru Tattoo.. at times difficult but that's what had my attention ... at one time it reminded me of a clint flick i think was called Misty ? any way .. superb input from you folks, respects TD.

Edited by Tweedle dee

4 hours ago, Tweedle dee said:

Dern in The king of marvin gardens...he upstaged ol' Jack N...

and howzabout The king of comedy? some folks say that it's Scorcese's best film...with Jerry Lewis and demonstrates De Niro's amazing versatility, he actually makes Rupert Pupkin believable...obscure and borderline cult, dy-no-mite...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

A lot of those listed here are not cult movies. As was alluded to earlier, cult movies are ones that were not big box-office movies, not well-regarded or successful at the time but which became popular later - usually with a small sub-set of people who become fanatically devoted to the movies in question. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is perhaps the classic example of a cult movie.

Casablanca for instance, although it it's a great classic movie and one of my personal favourites, is not a cult movie.

They used to play it at midnight in theaters in the 1960's = doesn't that make it a cult movie?

• Like 1

can't forget La grande bouffe with Marcello, and the magnificent Philippe Noiret and Michel Piccoli...a cult film with a fan base of one, me...

imagine suicide by overeating and indulgence in sexual fantasy...it was scandalous even by european standards...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Just gone through the entire list of posts and found enough movies to keep me occupied for a long time. Many thanks for the leads, and a special thanks to Tweedle Dee for starting it off. :thumbsup::clap2:

Absolutely my pleasure ! and thumbs up to the rest of you guys for your input TD ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Yes.

I suppose it depends on whether you think the quality of a film is determined by the personal life of the director or not.  I am sure some people would say that we should not be watching films directed by homosexuals, or Catholics, or left-handers.

I reckon the place for dealing with criminals is in the courts.

• Like 1