Pink card park access

Olmy

Although the pink ID card, printed all in Thai Language, distinctly identifies its holder as a foreigner, it is nice to see that some national park officials collect the lower entrance fee valid for Thai nationals from foreigners who present this card, in violation of official rules and regulations.

I got the Thai price (free) to Maya bay a while back with pink ID. Lots of Thai price around Pattaya, floating markets (free), tiger park(150 baht for the buffet lunch), Nong Nooch (free). Also got me into one of the Thai only army beaches south of Pattaya.

• Like 1

Accepted st Phu Sang this ladt Sunday but the wife had to speak a lot to convince the casher. Its discusting they chsrge more for forigners. They seemed to be ashamed about it themselves as the Thai prices are written in the old Thai script! 100baht or 20 baht for Thais!

Is that really true over 60 and its free?

Always had my Thai driving licence accepted. Always assumed that dual pricing was for tourist or resident.

Only exception, as others have said, was Khao Yai, but I'm happy to support the upkeep of these places. I consider 400 baht pretty nominal for a great day out.

• Like 2

People get outraged at the dual pricing thing, I dont see it as much different to back in Australia. I lived in a couple of tourist areas and as a resident got free parking at the beach when tourists paid, local restaurants would do 10-20% off the bill for locals, Free admission to local tourist attractions if you showed your local license etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

People get outraged at the dual pricing thing, I dont see it as much different to back in Australia. I lived in a couple of tourist areas and as a resident got free parking at the beach when tourists paid, local restaurants would do 10-20% off the bill for locals, Free admission to local tourist attractions if you showed your local license etc. 

Same in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are there also places in Australia where the visitors have to pay 10 times the price of the locals?

If Thailand would charge twice the price for foreigners we would probably not see many complaints, but 10 times as in most national parks is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Just now, jackdd said:

Are there also places in Australia where the visitors have to pay 10 times the price of the locals?

If Thailand would charge twice the price for foreigners we would probably not see many complaints, but 10 times as in most national parks is ridiculous.

As residents get it for free, the maths says much more than 10 times, in fact, infinitely more!

• Like 1

Even without a 'pink card' it often has to do with attitude, appearance, and willingness to speak Thai.

I present my drivers license that has my address on the back.  Tell the folks how long I've live here, joke about being pôo sŏong aa-yú or an elderly person, usually get some laughs along with the Thai price or at least a discount.
Only place that I've encountered that won't budge on charging full price is Doi Internon which I have seen once and could care less about seeing again.  I've lived all over the US West Coast and know what mountains are.  Doi Internon is a foothill with a rare dusting of frost.  Not worth the visit.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Its a little hard to charge 10 times more than free.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I got the Thai price (free) to Maya bay a while back with pink ID. Lots of Thai price around Pattaya, floating markets (free), tiger park(150 baht for the buffet lunch), Nong Nooch (free). Also got me into one of the Thai only army beaches south of Pattaya.

I got the Thai Price at Maya Bay too.  I stayed on the boat while the Thai family wandered around on the beach after which we went and visited other island without park officials.  Nice thing about renting your own boat and driver.  Your not on any set schedule or destination.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dinga said:

Correct - useless at Khao Yai (400 baht Vs 40 baht) and Koh Thalu (Rayong - 200 baht Vs 20 baht).  Was so p1ssed off, I wrote to the National Parks Department confirming - as a PR - I'll never again personally be thus robbed, nor take any foreign visitors to any National Parks.  Felt better, although it's clear that such venting is otherwise a waste of time.

A couples of month ago I was admitted for Thai price at Khao Yai showing my pink card. It was at the southern entrance. 

18 minutes ago, perconrad said:

A couples of month ago I was admitted for Thai price at Khao Yai showing my pink card. It was at the southern entrance. 

I entered Khao Yai in March 2018 - from the Prachinburi side.  Was shown a National Parks Dept instruction letter that was dated (I think) around 5 years earlier, saying that foreign Permanent Residents were required to pay the "Tourist/Visitor" price.  Consistent application of the rules may be patchy, but the official intention is not.

Used the pink card successfully at dozens of national parks with a few exceptions: koh chang (denied in both), ranong (denied in 2, discount at a 3rd, but not thai price), hua hin (denied in pala u).

Also denied in phanum rung in buriram, which is a historic park, not a national park. They said all historic parks follow that policy, though I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Not outraged, just a non-participant since the national park prices were hiked to ten times the Thai price. Good luck to them taking money off others, I say.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Not outraged, just a non-participant since the national park prices were hiked to ten times the Thai price. Good luck to them taking money off others, I say.

Likewise - application of the Australian example quoted earlier, I - being a permanent resident - would get Thai pricing.  Failure to be fairly treated sticks in my goat - hence, as a matter of principle - never again

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

But you are comparing apples and kangaroos. 

In thailand the fee may be 40baht for Thai ( who also on average are not even middle class ) and 400 baht $16.60 AUS  ( but usually 200 baht $8.30 AUS ) for non Thai ( almost always middle class or more ) 

but YOU and many others since I’ve been reading Thai visa forum just never get this. They just can’t charge 40 baht Thai and 80 Baht non Thai , these places need more money to survive ( and many would still complain ).

In Australia let’s say some Park or attraction costs $15Aus ( the Apple ) then it would cost $150 AUS for non Australians or for perhaps non residents of a town ( the Kangaroo ) 

since the starting price in many attractions in the West is  easily $10 or $15 or more then 10x is crazy!! 

Stop thinking 10x blah blah blah 

or 5 x. 

Just think I pay only 400 or 200 baht for this nice National Park and my girlfriend or wife pays less because she is so lucky to be a citizen of a country that lets citizens pay less! 

Or else be happy with everyone paying 400 and shut up. 

Where I come from we have beautiful beaches not far from the city. There are also parking areas for residents closer to the beach for free with resident pass and there are parking areas for non residents at often $30 USD or $25 USD ( I pay $30 because it’s a beautiful beach and I enjoy the day there) Big difference 

and YES I KNOW if a Thai person happened to own a house in that town they could get the parking pass for free but they are also paying property tax in that town. 

Here you can’t and most people visiting the national parks are not from the place the national park is located either. 

I bet many who complain never would go to the parks at 40 baht either ( because they don’t  have a car or gas is too expensive) , and probably the same guys who complain about not getting back a 1/2 satang change at 7/11. Best to stay away for all of us payers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dinga said:

Likewise - application of the Australian example quoted earlier, I - being a permanent resident - would get Thai pricing.  Failure to be fairly treated sticks in my goat - hence, as a matter of principle - never again

Oh those principles!!! 

Gets in the way of having a great time or better yet a great experience. 

In the long run you miss out based on being cheap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh those principles!!! 

Gets in the way of having a great time or better yet a great experience. 

In the long run you miss out based on being cheap. 

Rubbish.  Somethings are right, some are not.  You can make your choice - I'll make mine (got FA to do with being "cheap").  

• Like 1

We went to Ayutthaya recently and my wife was told no when she showed my pink ID but the lady smiled and asked if I was over 60.  So I got the old man Thai people rate.  The next stop on our trek in Ayutthaya my wife just said my husband over 60 and I got the old man Thai people rate again.  It seems that being over 60 carries more weight in Thailand than that worthless pink piece of plastic or the Thai drivers license for foriegners.

• Like 1