Dow down 1,000, should we be worried ?

Am I the only one who has noticed that the Dow Jones is down 1,000 points this week, and its only Tuesday. (US). I understand that FOX etc only ever reports the gains but it appears to be largely overlooked in the media. Is this the new normal ? How big does a drop need to be before its in the news ?

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well if you read more than Fox you would have known its being reported. Plus click on the little button that says "Fox Business" and you will see it being discussed.

Regardless: No.

Yes, its being discussed etc but not to the level one would expect. A quick flick around the channels this morning and its less important than Ivanka's emails and marginally more important than a tap dancing dog. Nowadays it seems a 4-5% hit on the Dow Jones isnt much of an issue. A couple of years ago it would have been Armageddon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Nowadays it seems a 4-5% hit on the Dow Jones isnt much of an issue. A couple of years ago it would have been Armageddon.

Well look where it was a few years ago. Losing an eye is only Armageddon if you only have one.

What people seem to overlook is that the gains in S&P - NASDAQ etc indexes of the past years have been the result of the stock price increase of a few very large cap stocks.

Those large cap stocks have been tanking considerably lately, and thereby pulling the small cap stocks down with them, which results in the declines of the indexes

7 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

i’m now down 9 per cent from when my investments peaked almost exactly 2 months ago- how i wish i had sold the lot on that day...now too late will just have to sit it out...agh...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I had planned to sell a large portion of my portfolio before the midterm elections but I missed the window. I think it’s probably too late to sell and need to ride out the wave.

But I think more relisting way is to evaluate change in value over a least a 1 to 2 yearperiod I want to know I have more money 

I hope to see increases from year to year and not worry about month to month changes. During Obama I think I lost about 20% but gained it back and more under Trump

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm less concerned about the drop in the Dow as I am the drop in the FTSE, the NASDAQ, DAX, Nikkei, Hang Seng, SET and the CAC.

And don't forget oil (good for consumers, not so much for producers) and cryptos...

High Yield corporate bonds are down for a record 9 consecutive days (your friend is not gonna be happy).

From their highs:

• Dow Industrials -9.2%

• S&P -10.2% (Correction)

• Dow Transports -12.1% (Correction)

• Nasdaq Composite -15.1% (Correction)

• Nasdaq 100 -15.3% (Correction)

• Russell 2000 -15.6% (Correction)

6 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

And don't forget oil (good for consumers, not so much for producers) and cryptos...

High Yield corporate bonds are down for a record 9 consecutive days (your friend is not gonna be happy).

From their highs:

• Dow Industrials -9.2%

• S&P -10.2% (Correction)

• Dow Transports -12.1% (Correction)

• Nasdaq Composite -15.1% (Correction)

• Nasdaq 100 -15.3% (Correction)

• Russell 2000 -15.6% (Correction)

I'm invested across all the indices I mentioned, almost everything in managed funds, in total I'm down 6% which is not good.

not just the markets. housing in Australia is on the way down as aussies on interest only mortgages are forced onto principle and interest. some economists are predicting up to 40% declines. the 'almost everything bubble' is about to rupture. this will be the side effect of low interest rates. a crash every 10 years or so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm invested across all the indices I mentioned, almost everything in managed funds, in total I'm down 6% which is not good.

You certainly know better than me, but maybe you should consider cutting your losses before they become much bigger...

It is not possible to say if this is the Big One, but if it is, then 6% is going to look like a very good deal, compared with what's to come...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

With the initiation of the Tchump tariffs, everyone should have seen this coming.  Look at the overall historical record of tariffs, which make everything much more expensive and uncertain for producers and consumers.  They throw a wrench into the wealth-creating nexus of investment, innovation, trade, cooperation and optimism. 

Tariffs don't help, but the foremost cause is the end of ZIRP (Z for zero) and of quantitative easing (a.k.a. money creation) almost everywhere.

As they say, the Fed has removed the punch bowl...the markets now have to stand on their feet by themselves...which is not easy when everyone is drunk...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the other hand if you have a substantial amount invested in gold, one could actually cheer the DOW is down and hope for an even more dramatic decline as is bound to happen sooner or later what with al the developed countries in the world piling on more and more debt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

With the initiation of the Tchump tariffs, everyone should have seen this coming.  Look at the overall historical record of tariffs, which make everything much more expensive and uncertain for producers and consumers.  They throw a wrench into the wealth-creating nexus of investment, innovation, trade, cooperation and optimism. 

Only a clueless idiot says that “trade wars are good and easy to win.”  Brace for a storm. 

I would agree, "free" trade is a whole lot different to "equal" trade. Nobody makes any money if you sell something then are forced to buy something back from the person you sold to, for equal value. Apple makes money selling us iphones, they wouldn't make much if they then have to buy something from us to an equal value.

2 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

On the other hand if you have a substantial amount invested in gold, one could actually cheer the DOW is down and hope for an even more dramatic decline as is bound to happen sooner or later what with al the developed countries in the world piling on more and more debt.

Gold is a great hedge at the moment, I have some direct gold shares (one share is 0.01 of one ounce of gold) and like clockwork when everything else is down, they are up.