Fast-entry online visa system for 20 nations launched at Thai airports

9 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

When I arrived back last week it was fast track anyway. The airport was dead, through immigration in record time of 5 mins. About 4 people queuing in every booth and not a Chinese in sight.

same for me 3 weeks ago. i was in the chinese passport line as no one else was in it. officials were processing other nationalities through them

27 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I am pretty pissed off with all this free visa / fast entry process being given to tourists !   I am resident here and have to keep minimum 800,000 baht in the bank to keep my residency visa valid but I still have to queue with all the rest - no special treatment for residents !!

Seems like I'm a third class citizen here . 

That’s a false comparison.

The visitors from these countries have to apply for a visa before entering the country, you are probably from one of the countries that can enter under the visa exempt scheme. You, therefore, have special treatment.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 3:59 PM, taichiplanet said:

so visa in one minute but still lined up at "special" counters for 2 hours.

Interesting list of countries it is available to, and only 16 on the website so far on the selection screen though it shows 20 when you look at the html.

Andorran, Bhutanese, Bulgaria, Chinese, Cyprus, Ethiopian, Fijian, Indian, Kazakh,
Latvia,
Lithuania, Maldivian, Mauritian, Papua New Guinean, Romania, Sammarinese,
Saudi Arabian, Taiwanese, Ukrainian, Uzbek

I must be so lucky missing these 1 to 2 hour waits while making 4/5 trips a year for the last 6 years ! 

• Confused 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, Sp4wnY said:

Best way to spike up the numbers again is to bring back any kind of "-nese" ???? 

Same with Uzbek, Sammarinese, Andorran and Papua New Guinean.  Obviously Thailand has been missing out because I don't remember seeing many tourists from any of them recently.  Clearly we can expect the floodgates to open from these overlooked tourist gold mines.  

I could point to PNG on a map but the rest?  Where is Samarra or is it possibly Samaria?  Is it a country or the territory they mention?  Am I that out of touch with the world? Wow: Is Thaiism that infectious?

Edited by The Deerhunter

There is all this talk recently about visa for tourist upon arrival, 

and all the changes that are taking place to encourage more tourist.

It'a amazing how fast Immigration can address these issues, 

and make the changes needed to work for their objective.

What about the expats situation? 

When we might hear / read what the plans are going forward, 

as it relates to long term visa / extensions?

That certainly would be news worthy...

Edited by ajarnmarc

10 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

The problem for TAT is far more serious than making a few tweaks here and there will cure. The bottom line is that they have carelessly killed the goose that laid the golden egg: the Chinese market is fickle at best, and their tourists were always likely to fall out of their love affair with Thailand to some extent and at some point. But this was hastened by carelessness and even arrogance on the part of the TAT and the Thai tourist industry in general. 

Chinese tourists by and large do as they are told by their government. In addition, when a group of Chinese drown and safety is shown clearly to be compromised, the news spreads like wildfire on Chinese language social media, which is carefully monitored and controlled by organs of state.

Unfortunately for Thailand, their biggest tourist market horses have bolted, and the chances of luring them back to the stable en masse are slim. That, coupled with the economic situation, may mean that the best days of Chinese tourism in Thailand have already passed. 

I certainly hope this is the case...

In the southern Airports they line up in tour groups, waiting / holding line for their fellow patrons, yet not moving until the full group can join, so the rest of us, who have no clue what is going on stand confused as to why the line appears to not be moving.

Immigration officers consider it a break from work, and just relax in place.

They (IO) as we have all seen, certainly are in no hurry at all, their eyes could use a break 

from rummaging through each page, of each passengers passport in their hands, 

as they attempt to admittedly break the passport binding, so they can later criticize us 

for the condition our passports are in. When the damage to the passports was mostly a result of their admit handling of it while in their possession. My western passengers if not all, 

have a 10 year expiration on their passport, but due to the mangling of the IO, I wish it was only a 5 year expiration, as is the case with the Thai's passport, then we wouldn't have to care so much when it is damaged or filled with the endless stamps the boarders IO like to randomly place throughout the book to help confuse the next officer who request to view it.

27 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

I certainly hope this is the case...

In the southern Airports they line up in tour groups, waiting / holding line for their fellow patrons, yet not moving until the full group can join, so the rest of us, who have no clue what is going on stand confused as to why the line appears to not be moving.

Immigration officers consider it a break from work, and just relax in place.

They (IO) as we have all seen, certainly are in no hurry at all, their eyes could use a break 

from rummaging through each page, of each passengers passport in their hands, 

as they attempt to admittedly break the passport binding, so they can later criticize us 

for the condition our passports are in. When the damage to the passports was mostly a result of their admit handling of it while in their possession. My western passengers if not all, 

have a 10 year expiration on their passport, but due to the mangling of the IO, I wish it was only a 5 year expiration, as is the case with the Thai's passport, then we wouldn't have to care so much when it is damaged or filled with the endless stamps the boarders IO like to randomly place throughout the book to help confuse the next officer who request to view it.

A twist:  And hoping soon we will see the auto gate at Chiang Mai airport for Thai PR holders. 

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Ukrainian, Andorran, Fujian, Kazakh, Papuan and Saudi. Who made up this list? US, and all the rest of Europe is not on the list. Just another step in the continued deterioration of the tourist market here. My heart goes out to the Thai people. The burden this administration is imposing on these people is a horrible thing to witness. 

Citizens of most European countries (UK, Germany, France etc) do not need a Visa to enter Thailand as a tourist - just arrive at the airport and walk in for a maximum of 30 days...  This initiative only applies to the 20 countries which need a Visa On Arrival.

Moving the application online is definitely a step to expedite processing, but waiving the fee will not result in a large increase in tourists (especially not when the fee will be charged again in 2 months)

11 hours ago, Jen65 said:

I am pretty pissed off with all this free visa / fast entry process being given to tourists !   I am resident here and have to keep minimum 800,000 baht in the bank to keep my residency visa valid but I still have to queue with all the rest - no special treatment for residents !!

Seems like I'm a third class citizen here . 

It seems that Thailand is treating Residents like the USA is treating its permanent residents (Green Card holders).  at one time, we could use the lines for citizens and residents.  then permanent residents were moved to the tourist lines (at least in Miami).  Now I have Global Entry and don't care (best USD 100 I have spent in my life).  In Thailand, I would use the paid arrival service at the airport (about USD 30, if I remember correctly) unless I am lucky enough to get an upgrade to Business as this allows the use of the premium lane

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That was not my point. We do not qualify for online visas, nor fast track. We wait in the lines, as do the rest of the cattle. 

Do you really want to be forced to apply online in advance to get a 15-day stay in Thailand (which cannot be extended) rather than the current 30-day visa exempt entry that can be extended in country for a further 30 days? I, for one, do not see that as a good exchange. As for "fast track entry", I do not think that is part of the package. There will still be a queue, but in front of a desk that (as with visa exempt entries) usually only takes about a minute per person to process.

• Like 1

These 20 countries do not include many big population countries, wonder why?

Of course Chinese and Indian, are, and are like neighbours. Many people from

these 2 countries live and work in Thailand, so good for them.

No South or Central or North American countries on the list. Shame!

Geezer

Well it depends on the time of day. But, those of us who have retirement visas or work permits should be able to use an expedited process and there is no reason for us to que up like tourists. Another example of this nation mistreating it's ex-pat population. No regard at all. No perspective on what we bring to the table. It's ok. It is what it is. Just stating a fact. I cannot expect perspective from the junta. Not enough wisdom or competence. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

Well there are only 2 both who do not need visas.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

Perhaps you and others would understand better if you looked at this info "Summary of Countries and Territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival to Thailand".  http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

Note how many countries get free 30 day visa exempt entries under that scheme and those that get them from bilateral agreements versus the 21 that get a15 day visa on arrival that normally has a 2000 baht fee.

• Like 2

IMO Thailand should take a decision to abolish its visa fees regime for all countries. Just an entry stamp, similar to the stamp in Hong Kong, should greatly boost its image as a tourist friendly country. Ironically -- and many don't get it -- Thailand levies a stiff fee of 2000 Baht per person on tourists from mostly third world countries whose people have to save over a long time for a trip, while richer countries are not subject to this fee. No doubt, the visa fees list includes two of Asia's biggest countries, China and India, but if USA, UK, etc are not subject to the fee why should  China and India be ? Clearly Thailand does NOT see the visa fee as a source of earning because if it did, western tourists too would be asked to pay. This is just a big avoidable pain in the ass which Thailand needs to abolish. 

IMO Thailand should take a decision to abolish its visa fees regime for all countries. Just an entry stamp, similar to the stamp in Hong Kong, should greatly boost its image as a tourist friendly country. Ironically -- and many don't get it -- Thailand levies a stiff fee of 2000 Baht per person on tourists from mostly third world countries whose people have to save over a long time for a trip, while richer countries are not subject to this fee. No doubt, the visa fees list includes two of Asia's biggest countries, China and India, but if USA, UK, etc are not subject to the fee why should  China and India be ? Clearly Thailand does NOT see the visa fee as a source of earning because if it did, western tourists too would be asked to pay. This is just a big avoidable pain in the ass which Thailand needs to abolish. 
Maybe if the UK and US abolished visa fees, Thailand might follow suit. At least they give free visa-exempt entry for most people, which is more than western countries do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, HereIAm said:

That is actually the point behind the visa fee - to keep the poor third world "tourists" out.

Actually that fee was also increased to keep out poor (chinese) tourist groups who get a discount for the travel but are then send on a shopping tour at foreign owned companies. 

Not sure if I got the last part 100% correct but the initial idea behind it is to keep out poor people. Hence there will never be a land border visa on arrival for people from Myanmar. 

Edited by Sp4wnY

On 11/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, Sp4wnY said:

That is actually the point behind the visa fee - to keep the poor third world "tourists" out.

Actually that fee was also increased to keep out poor (chinese) tourist groups who get a discount for the travel but are then send on a shopping tour at foreign owned companies. 

Not sure if I got the last part 100% correct but the initial idea behind it is to keep out poor people. Hence there will never be a land border visa on arrival for people from Myanmar. 

See your point but abolition of the visa fee will ultimately benefit Thailand. Even the least well-to-do tourists who can afford a trip to Thailand will anyway spend on hotels, street food, street shopping ... it all goes to the benefit of Thais. On the other hand, 2000 baht visa fee does not go into the pockets of Thais at the bottom of the pyramid and instead leaves the tourist with that less money to spend.  

On 11/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe if the UK and US abolished visa fees, Thailand might follow suit. At least they give free visa-exempt entry for most people, which is more than western countries do.

The US and UK are first world countries and their concern is keeping out migrants who arrive then disappear to live and work  in hiding inside the country. The visa fee I suppose is only one of the many barriers to check such inflow. Thailand doesn't have that concern. Tourists do overstay but they are spending money more than earning so the economy still benefits. 

The US and UK are first world countries and their concern is keeping out migrants who arrive then disappear to live and work  in hiding inside the country. The visa fee I suppose is only one of the many barriers to check such inflow. Thailand doesn't have that concern. Tourists do overstay but they are spending money more than earning so the economy still benefits. 
So staying illegally is fine because the overstayers spend money?

On 12/2/2018 at 6:14 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

So staying illegally is fine because the overstayers spend money?

Devil's advocate maybe, but if one takes a hard look at reality, tell me what's wrong ?  If they're not stealing jobs, they're not in crime, they're only having a good time, I think the host country would be hard put to explain what is its problem with that. Besides calling it illegal is begging the question. If the host country  is fine with it, it's not illegal.

Edited by HereIAm