Measles kills 18 in South as officials try to fight vaccine denial

webfact

Measles kills 18 in South as officials try to fight vaccine denial

By SOMCHAI SAMART 
THE NATION

6eeff9602ef114ef096ebf38bcb1ec50.jpeg

MEASLES HAS infected 2,280 people and killed 18 in the mainly Muslim border provinces in the South this year.

The largest group affected were young children up to the age of four. 

“Measles vaccination is free and is in line with Islamic principles,” Songkhla’s public-health chief Utissak Harirattanakul said yesterday, as he tried to encourage Muslim parents to get their children vaccinated against the highly communicable disease.

In a move to downplay locals’ concerns the vaccine may be haram (forbidden in Islam), Utissak said both the Sheikhul Islam Office and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation’s legal team had approved the measles vaccine.

0e64261bb57050293cf1d71d44c45de1.jpeg

Common symptoms of the measles virus, which can be fatal in severe cases, are fever, dry cough, runny nose, sore throat, conjunctivitis and tiny white spots with bluish-white centres on a red background, also called Koplik’s spots, in the inner lining of the cheek.

Utissak urged parents to immediately take their child to the doctor if they develop any measles-like symptoms. 

“Young kids should avoid known infected areas, and patients should be quarantined,” he said. 

In Songkhla, one of the four southern border provinces, measles has hit 203 patients and killed one. 

Earlier this week, Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre’s deputy secretary-general Somkiat Phonprayoon told relevant officials to go on a door-to-door campaign in the deep South to vaccinate children against measles. He said efforts must cover schools, as all children below the age of 12 must be vaccinated. 

Somkiat said officials must explain to community and religious leaders the necessity for locals to have the right understanding of the vaccine. 

Yala’s public-health chief Songkran Maichum said the number of measles infections in his province has already dropped due to serious campaigning. 

“We have vaccinated up to 94 per cent of local children so far and hope to bring the number up to 95 per cent soon,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30359040

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-22

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The MMR vaccine has been available and widely used throughout Europe for decades.. the figures show a drastic drop in deaths from these diseases with just a few showing symptoms/reactions to the injection.

The proof is definitely in favour of having the injection rather than trying to fight it without.

Mainly the proof in favour of vaccine that is to say in favour of big pharma are published the other one  are pushed under the carpet, exactly like the studies on Statin drugs for Cholesterol 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cereal said:

Vaccinations work. Anti-vaxers are wrong and being profoundly stupid. Dying of measles in this modern world is 100% preventable.

Kettle calling the pot black. Do you honestly believe big pharma pushes these drugs for the good off the people and not for monetary gain, wake up.

• Thanks 1

I grew up during the war years, before vaccinations for measles were available. In those days, measles - along with other common childhood maladies like mumps, scarlet fever and chicken pox - were not regarded by us, our parents or even the local GPs as particularly dangerous. They were seen more as a rite of passage to be endured en route to lifelong immunity.

I certainly never heard of any child dying of measles, an event which had become relatively rare in the UK long before the introduction of mass vaccination in the late Sixties.

Here's an interesting graph which shows how little impact measles vaccination actually had on an epidemic that had long since run out of steam. It may or may not be relevant to what is happening in Thailand and other parts of the world where vaccination programmes are being rolled out.

UK-Measles-1838-1978.gif.1eff6fabb717eb2a49892a28f10c4eea.gif

Edited by Krataiboy

17 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Here's an interesting graph which shows how little impact measles vaccination actually had on an epidemic that had long since run out of steam. It may or may not be relevant to what is happening in Thailand and other parts of the world where vaccination programmes are being rolled out.

This graph shows mortality.  Does the measles vaccine prevent death, or does it prevent measles?

[edit] Also, I just noticed the date of the measles vaccine introduction is wrong.  Perhaps you could provide the source for this graphic.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, attrayant said:

The person who tells others to "wake up" apparently can not do simple math.  You expect us to believe that "pharma" would rather sell a $50 inoculation than provide $8,200 in hospital services?  I'd ask you to explain that, but I doubt you'll be back.

Vaccines working and vaccines being profitable are not mutually exclusive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Vaccines working and vaccines being profitable are not mutually exclusive.

I made no such claim.  The poster I quoted claimed that "pharma" is in it only for the money, not for the effectiveness.  Nobody should be shocked that in a capitalistic medical system, drug suppliers want to make money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I made no such claim.  The poster I quoted claimed that "pharma" is in it only for the money, not for the effectiveness.  Nobody should be shocked that in a capitalistic medical system, drug suppliers want to make money.

Yes, I know.  The guy that you were replying to seemed to be implying that big pharma making money off them is evidence that they don't work.

Edited by suzannegoh

2 hours ago, attrayant said:

This graph shows mortality.  Does the measles vaccine prevent death, or does it prevent measles?

[edit] Also, I just noticed the date of the measles vaccine introduction is wrong.  Perhaps you could provide the source for this graphic.

I'm well aware of what the graph shows. The report below corroborates the date indicated for the introduction of measles vaccinations to UK:

In 1968, a vaccine was introduced in Britain, and the number of cases began to fall steadily. But the programme had limited take-up. . . (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10015975/What-is-measles-History-of-the-disease.html)/

I found this graphic (and several others of possible interest) here: http://whale.to/m/measlesdeaths1.html

I'm well aware of what the graph shows. The report below corroborates the date indicated for the introduction of measles vaccinations to UK:

In 1968, a vaccine was introduced in Britain, and the number of cases began to fall steadily. But the programme had limited take-up. . . (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10015975/What-is-measles-History-of-the-disease.html)/

I found this graphic (and several others of possible interest) here: http://whale.to/m/measlesdeaths1.html
The graph is showing the number of deaths per 100,000 people who contract measles. The vaccine wouldnt be expected to decrease that, it would be expected to decrease the number of people who contract measles.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, attrayant said:

In 1968 an improved version was introduced.  The measles vaccine made its debut in 1963 in both the UK and USA.

I got tired of chasing that chart down to see where it first appeared, but the most interesting site I found it on is Bad Chart Thursday, go figure.

Well, whether it was '63 or '68, it appears to have been largely surplus to requirements. Unless, of course, you were in the business of selling pharmecuticals.

If you don't vaccinate don't complain if your kids draw the short straw. Unfortunately, those who have children too young to be vaccinated lose herd immunity protection when vaccination levels fall below 90-95%. Those are the parents and children I feel sorry for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wisperone said:

Don't forget all those other pesky diseases that big pharma is involved with immunizations. They should be doing it all for free. TIC.

Polio

Typhoid

Malaria

Hepatitis

Typhoid

Yellow Fever

Japanese Encephalitis

and the list goes on.

Happy Thanksgiving to all alive and well due to modern medicine and the benefit of living in a time of immunizations.

The article doesn't say how much the MMR (measles) vaccine costs. Is there reason to think that the reason why the vaccination rate is low in the south is because of the cost of the vaccine rather than because of religion as implied by the article?

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Well, whether it was '63 or '68, it appears to have been largely surplus to requirements. Unless, of course, you were in the business of selling pharmecuticals.

And that is why this is such an awful chart, to make something "appear" a certain way.  Of course the vaccine does a spectacular job of prevention.  And as I pointed out earlier, the "money making" conspiracy idea is just ridiculous on its face, as the medical service service industry stands to make 100-200 times more money from treating measles than it does preventing measles.

22 hours ago, attrayant said:

The person who tells others to "wake up" apparently can not do simple math.  You expect us to believe that "pharma" would rather sell a $50 inoculation than provide $8,200 in hospital services?  I'd ask you to explain that, but I doubt you'll be back.

I don't have a clue where you are coming from.