Denied Entry at DMK with 60 day visa from Penang

35 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It is a "must have" item, I agree - but there have been some cases reported of rejection with it.  Unless I am missing it, the 20K Baht did not come up with the OP.

Agreed, it was not in the OP.  But the reality is, carrying 20K has more than one use (very multipurpose), if experiencing technical difficulties or the need to hasten certain decision making... 

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I suspect the OP does not have US/UK/EU passport.

USA, per the OP. 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1069945-denied-entry-at-dmk-with-60-day-visa-from-penang/?do=findComment&comment=13589470

Some at that location hate USA/Euros if we "stick around too long," too.  A famous quote was a guy with a Thai-gf - an older female IO told him if he loved her, to marry her and Go Live in his country, because they were Not Wanted Here (in Thailand).  That's the baseline-attitude we are dealing with amongst that particular clique of IOs at those airports (not all IOs everywhere).  Then you have the corrupting factors layered on top.

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Thanks for posting your story.

You aren't a newbie. This is why you suffered. 

You stated that they didn't give you a chance, but they did, according to your own statement. She asked to see your exit ticket and you couldn't show it. You just appeared full of excuses.

Most people would be able to show it on their phone.

I'm not an IO, but your actions would look dodgy even to me. They suspect long-stayers of working illegally, so have all of your paperwork in order and find another port of entry. 

To get a Multiple Entry Visa you would need to show the Embassy proof of your business and income anyway. But yet you are dependent on Tourist Visas and waivers.

So your story isn't coming together for them. Get a better one. ????

I agree, posters on this forum don't seem to realise that being in the country as a tourist is limited to 6 months in a calendar year. Thailand is more lenient than other countries and there seems to be ways of getting around this. But in most countries the six month tourist limit is enforced. I often wonder how these long-term tourists get their money. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Like the OP, many are not 50yo, so cannot qualify for a Visa+Extension based on retirement, even if financially-qualified.  Turning that money away is self-destructive to the country. 

Is 'retirement' not always linked to age, not wealth...?

There are investment visa categories that cater for wealthy individuals.

Also the Elite program exists, for the (almost) wealthy.

If a person cannot deposit 800k, their money won't be missed at all...

If I was to retire in Australia, with my kids being citizens, it costs $50,000 - that is the visa fee - here the 800k is yours, the fee is 1,900 baht...

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Sad 1

As "UK Rules" should know the cheaper airlines attract the more "shady characters"

The back packer type who often bum off the local village. Thailand does not need them

The amount of entries these people have had would attract attention of any Immigration Officer.

To leave  your boarding pass on the plane also raised flags.

I think there may be a bit more to this story than we are being told.

Anyway, next year (which is nearly here,) get your retirement visa

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Was 'retirement' not always linked to age, not wealth...?

There are investment visa categories that cater for wealthy individuals.

Also the Elite program exists, for the (almost) wealthy.

If a person cannot deposit 800k their money won't be missed at all...

If I want to retire in Australia, with my kids being citizens, it costs $50,000 - that is the visa fee: here the 800k is yours, the fee is 1,900 baht...

"Retirement" is based on money - not age.  99% of people don't work because they are "too young to retire" - it is because they must to live decently (actors, musicians, painters, and a few others being the exception). 

The pricing of the Elite visa makes it ridiculous, except for those who can afford to throw away that amount of money on a temporary-stay.  Investment is slightly better, but was much more reasonable at 3M Baht - not the current 10M Baht. 

A lower cost-of-living is a primary-draw for foreigners to come and spend their incomes in Thailand, vs elsewhere.  The goal should be to maximize foreign-spending to, in turn, maximize the benefits to the country from that spending.  The cost and availability of visas and investment-options should reflect this.  Many (myself included) would be happy to pay the going "agent rate" for extensions (12K to 20K / yr), if it were legitimately offered in-person at an immigration office, but we don't want "maybe legal" stays for that cost.

You get a very different set of results in Australia (or USA or Europe) from immigrating there, in exchange for the higher fees.  All offers must be considered in context to the cost of living in Thailand and what is granted in return - a path to PR and/or citizenship?  Free health-care?  Food/housing aid if one becomes destitute?  This is not remotely comparable to Thailand.

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The back packer type who often bum off the local village. Thailand does not need them

"Bum off the local village"???  I've never heard of this, and it is the sort of gossip that would get the rounds.  What is the source of this story?  An isolated incident, perhaps?

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The amount of entries these people have had would attract attention of any Immigration Officer.

Their list of previous destination-stamps, spanning continents, would also make it clear they are world-travelers who can afford their stay, and have the type of spending that would benefit the country.

6 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I think there may be a bit more to this story than we are being told

Perhaps - but I cannot think of a reason, other than some sort of "national security" or "criminal" factor, which could justify the decision made. 

Given what was described is eerily similar to many other reports - claiming a non-published rule about "time in country" on Tourist-type entries - I am doubtful there was another overriding factor.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

as I understand it. if yo u dont stay in the kingdom for more than half a year then leave half a year. immigration does not give you hassle. if you are perceived as gaming the system for long term living arrangement. they have discretion to let you know by denying you entry that they dont approve. you said you were approaching 50 . u can get retirement visa soon. ive been coming to thailand for 20 years basically half the year. never had an issue. sounds like you are staying longer than that and they dont like it. its their country

Do not count on this continuing.  Some "snowbirds" doing what you describe are being targeted at the Bangkok airports.  It is arbitrary, though - we don't know the odds.

Edited by JackThompson

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

There are clearly stated laws that you should have the equivalent of 20,000 baht in cash. She did not have it. So please don't post nonsense about "violating no laws".

Actually the amount is not written in the the law but in a miniterial order. Do you have the ministerial order at hand? I doubt that it explicitly says "cash", more likely just "money". This was written long ago and in current times an IO could very well accept a bank statement. The IO could also offer the possibilty to go to an ATM so that the person can withdraw money.

But both of these options are not offered, not because they can't, but because they don't want, whatever their motive is. So it becomes quite clear that this is just an arbitrary reason to deny entry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gamini said:

I agree, posters on this forum don't seem to realise that being in the country as a tourist is limited to 6 months in a calendar year. Thailand is more lenient than other countries and there seems to be ways of getting around this. But in most countries the six month tourist limit is enforced. I often wonder how these long-term tourists get their money. 

There is no rule/law on 6 months in any year. It existed a few years ago but has been removed.

A lot of people here also seem to forget that logic is to be left behind at the border. So you can't really judge their behvior as malevolent against us foreigners. Like not* giving you the option to withdraw money.

Edited by Sp4wnY

Thanks for posting your horrifying tale:There could be no better illustration of the utter arbitrariness and inconsistency of Thai immigration procedures than a couple with the exact same visa history, one being welcomed into the country, the other one refused entry and put through hell, just because they stood in a different line. If it was me, I would give Thailand a miss in the future and make another country in the region (like I did a year by moving to Vietnam) my travelling hub. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Thanks for posting your horrifying tale

The OP didn't come prepared so brought it on herself.  Hardly horrifying, no one died or was injured (except their egos).

It was a welcome post, though, and acts as warning as to what can happen if you take the Michael.  

The OP and her husband had a good run and their luck finally ran out.  

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Media1 said:

Report these crooks to Big Joke. There scamming and should be fired. You can also talk. l talk always. Ask to record the interview to be transparent lol. Jokers

How are they "scamming", did the couple who were refused entry have to hand over money for anything not normal?

4 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

B20 K in your pocket, is the Thai entry insurance policy.   It allows one to discretely smooth out any entry issues...  Not many posts about people having the 20K, and denied entry (just saying)

...and not one post about entry issues being "discreetly [What are you suggesting?] smoothed over". 

4 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Sometimes it is just down to personal prejudice, if they don't like your face you are already losing ...I have an African country passport. I suspect the OP does not have US/UK/EU passport.

"I suspect the OP does not have US/UK/EU passport".

I suspect that you cannot read very well.  Have another go.

17 minutes ago, fanjita said:

The OP didn't come prepared so brought it on herself.  Hardly horrifying, no one died or was injured (except their egos).

It was a welcome post, though, and acts as warning as to what can happen if you take the Michael.  

The OP and her husband had a good run and their luck finally ran out.  

It might be a blessing in disguise :realizing the true nature of the mercanery xenophobic Thais and settling somewhere friendlier and more welcoming, and going back only for brief visits to enjoy the only thing Thailand is tops at (besides road fatalities) :the sex industry. 

• Sad 2

Yes, it’s not easy to stay in this country if you are under the age of 50 or not married to a thai.

there should be visa for long time stay for those under 50 also. Right now, there limited options...

and btw to those saying you can’t be a tourist more then 60 days are wrong, you can be a tourist for 10 years if you want,  as long as you do what tourists are doing.

Why so many here mentioning how the rule are in Us,Australia and Europe about how long you can stay, this is thailand not the west, Thailand attracts much people because of the cost of living is lower, so why should they be as strict as the west? the west are welcoming people without documents easy(fake refugees) but if you try to do it the legal way it’s difficult unless you are super rich.

if you want thailand to be as your home country, move home then.

i wish Thailand was easier to stay long term then now, but they are probably going the wrong direction to make it as difficult as the west, then one day they will pay the price for that, people will move to other countries and spend their money their instead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The traveler said:

Yes, it’s not easy to stay in this country if you are under the age of 50 or not married to a thai.

there should be visa for long time stay for those under 50 also. Right now, there limited options...

It is a piece of p**s. 500,000 Baht for 6 years of 1,000,000 Baht for 21 years. Sorted.

Says the man who has spent the last 12 years in Thailand on tourist visas and the ilk.

14 hours ago, Duwanda Nunya said:

What would the US say about its citizens (who broke no laws or did anything wrong) being treated that way and their passports confiscated?

I guess they were US citizens.

Edited by jacko45k