Muslim leaders in the Thai South oppose LGBT partner bill

webfact

Muslim leaders oppose LGBT partner bill

By PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI 
THE NATION

edc32e4f5fbd62c5924cae8a82cfd718.jpeg

A couple of activists hold their hands during the 15th LGBTI March with the slogan "Memory, Pride and Resistance for LGBTI persons rights" in Asuncion, on September 29, 2018. // AFP PHOTO

MUSLIM LEADERS in the South have rejected the Life Partnership Bill, which would allow LGBT couples to marry.

If the bill becomes law, the religious leaders say they will not perform marriage rituals for LGBT couples. No religious leader is required to perform rituals under the proposed law. 

Islam does not allow people of the same sex to have sexual relations. Thailand’s neighbour Malaysia, for example, considers sodomy a crime. Malay Muslims are the majority in the Thai South.

“Only in the South has our public forum on the Life Partnership Bill heard opposition,” Nareeluc Pairchaiyapoom, who heads the Rights and Liberties Protection Department’s International Human Rights Division, said yesterday.

Her department has held public forums on the bill in all regions of the Kingdom, which has the highest percentage of Buddhists at 93 per cent.

Nareeluc said the forum for the southern region took place on November 15 in Songkhla province, with local religious leaders and LGBT members from other regions among the 136 participants.

“Muslim leaders do not agree with the bill. They are worried about its content because they think it runs against their religion,” Nareeluc said. 

She said her department had explained to Muslim leaders that the bill would not force anyone to register a same-sex marriage. 

“Most participants at our forums have supported the bill,” she said. 

Her department has also gathered public opinions on the bill via its website, with most comments supporting the bill. A total of 3,055 people commented on the bill through the online platform. “We are now processing data we have gathered. After we integrate it into the bill, we will submit it to Deputy PM and Justice Minister ACM Prajin Juntong,” Nareeluc said. 

Many comments have emphasised that the bill should also allow LGBT couples to adopt children. 

Nareeluc expected the bill to reach Prajin before the end of this month. 

“He will then forward it to the Cabinet,” she said. 

If the Cabinet gives the green light, the bill will go the National Legislative Assembly.

The mammoth Life Partnership Bill – it has no fewer than 70 sections – allows gender-diverse couples many of the same rights recognised for heterosexual partners, including inheritance and marital property matters, as well as the legal right to make medical decisions for a partner who is incapacitated.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30359128

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-23

Just as well this is a Buddhist country and not Muslim which means the Thai Government decides which laws are introduced and not them . They have the right on religious grounds not to adhere to the law so what are they worried about unless they can choose to be who they really are as a person and gender . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will not perform a service that is not required.It is that type of thinking that keeps them in the stone ages.
  News to them, time to come out of the cave, it is nice and sunny out here!
I am pro LGB but i dont see the point in forcing Muslims or Christians to marry same sex partners.

A civil marriage should be sufficient as freedom of religion also means not forcing religious leaders to go against their religion.

Im an atheist and not pro religion.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

They will not perform a service that is not required.It is that type of thinking that keeps them in the stone ages.

News to them, time to come out of the cave, it is nice and sunny out here!

Surely its where the sun don't shine that's the Muslim leaders problem????

• Haha 1

Its pretty simple. Can the candidate fulfill ALL the requirements of the job in this case 'physically'

....and that DOES NOT mean lowering the bar on physical testing for the sake of 'diversity' as seems to have happened. I dont care if its a woman that drags me out of a burning building or a man....but she better be able to do it to the same level......man, woman,ladyboy....whatever! Work opportunities  should be based purely on merit NOT on diversity quotas.

Of course they oppose it. So what? They are a minority that the state allows full marriage rights for the heterosexuals among them. They have the nerve to oppose a lesser type of marriage for another minority. They have their say. Then IGNORE them. 

I would be much more concerned about Buddhist leaders opposing this because of course this is a very Buddhist nation and if they strongly oppose it, it ain't gonna happen. 

Edited by Jingthing

Off topic trolling posts and the replies have been reported and removed. 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.  The proper method of reporting a post is to use the Report button rather than making a post commenting on the off topic post. 

Edited by metisdead

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I am pro LGB but i dont see the point in forcing Muslims or Christians to marry same sex partners.

A civil marriage should be sufficient as freedom of religion also means not forcing religious leaders to go against their religion.

Im an atheist and not pro religion.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

no one is forcing anyone to marry  anyone. you need to re-read the OP. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

She said her department had explained to Muslim leaders that the bill would not force anyone to register a same-sex marriage

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The mammoth Life Partnership Bill – it has no fewer than 70 sections – allows gender-diverse couples many of the same rights recognised for heterosexual partners, including inheritance and marital property matters, as well as the legal right to make medical decisions for a partner who is incapacitated.

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have a very good friend that I have being friends with since high school , we are like brothers, If I was not married, and he was not married I am sure we will be living together, why should we not be able to manage each others affairs if one of as got incapacitated, in the same manner and with the same protections as any other couple? 

Hmm, very interesting. Never thought of this before. I too have childhood friends, male as I am, with whom I share everything. 

I live alone here in Bkk but could conceive of being roommates (couple?) with one or more of these buddies of 30+ years. Oddly, enough we would probably end up going out mongering together every other night and banging babes in adjacent short-time rooms. But, like they say, a couple that mongers together stays together.

But jokes apart, the point you make of "couplehood" being based on love or call it what you will that is not necessarily sexual, is well taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is entitled to an opinion , however when it comes to religion one could say that it has done enough damage over the thousand of years its been around, anything they have to say on any matter should be taken as purely for selfish reasons and or control and should be ignored.

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Islam/Muslim culture bans alcohol but it does stop thousands of Muslim men crossing the border every week to Thailand's southern provinces to have a good time and screw some girls...serious hypocrites.

Hypocrisy, you say? Well, that's not about Muslims specifically. That's about humans. That just got me thinking. Is it possible for a dog to be a hypocrite? Maybe a dog because they are so close to us, but how about a snake?

Edited by Jingthing