Phuket Tourist Police warn of ‘cash on delivery’ scam

snoop1130

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

IMO, Lazada is fine...managed and owned by Alibaba....

Shoppee is one of the dodgy online sites..and probably some other Thai sites.....their penetrating, corrupt advertising has infiltrated many sites.

Dodgy? Corrupt advertising?  Really?!  I've had zero problems with Shopee, other than their website is mostly in Thai. I recently bought an expensive Xiaomi Pocophone F1 smartphone from them -- cash on delivery.  It arrived quickly and exactly as advertised and works great.  I did ask the delivery service guy to open the shipping box to confirm the item was correct (and factory sealed) before paying.  He had no problem with that.

Also, Shopee's customer service seems to be excellent. They even followed up with a phone call to ask me how I like my new phone. I've bought many things from Lazada during the past year but they've never done that for me.  Don't get me wrong, I still like Lazada, but prices tend to be lower on some items at Shopee.

The one caveat with Shopee is that many sellers are offering used merchandise, such as newer high-end computer components.  So if the price seems too low that's probably why.  If in doubt I always ask.  So far, the sellers have responded fairly quickly.  Also, there's typically a minimum warranty period even for second hand stuff so those deals may not be too bad considering the money savings.

Finally, like Lazada, each seller's rating is clearly posted so you can minimize risk buying online.  Your mileage may vary, but I'm quite happy with Shopee at this point and won't hesitate to buy from them again.  ????

1 minute ago, NotYourBusiness said:

I believe what he means is Lazada might be a fine service and not knowingly involved, but these swindlers are getting valid names and addresses of victims from somewhere. You can't mail out 15 million baht of stuff without an abundant source of valid names and addresses.

Not suggesting anything as above, just asking if anyone has bought from Ezbuy, another Chinese company with an office in Bangkok. All goods seem to come from China. They are similar to Lazada in products, website, etc., but seem much cheaper with items I have checked. They  have had many complaints, mainly related to late or non delivery. If anyone has had dealings, I would appreciate a review.

I use Lazada often, usually very happy (the last thing I bought arrived days before anticipated), although I did have one problem a while back with a TV.  Initially their site said it had been delivered, then it was recorded as cancelled. No explanation.  When asked, they simply said out of stock. Said my credit card will be reimbursed in about a month! Gave them a spray for taking money out in minutes, but repayment will take several weeks. Was re-credited fairly quickly.

3 hours ago, visarunner said:

yep, such a warehouse you not build up overnight.....

Rubbish !  Lazada don't have a warehouse. They are agents, brokers. I've returned several items & always been refunded in full. I'll continue to use them.

4 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Rubbish !  Lazada don't have a warehouse. They are agents, brokers. I've returned several items & always been refunded in full. I'll continue to use them.

Of course they have warehouses.  In fact 17,000 sq. mtrs.  A lot of their goods are shipped from independent suppliers but that's not their whole business.

3 hours ago, Travel Dude said:

I have always a problem with Lazada. Never deliver on time as promised, even change the delivery date during the processing, in a sneaky way on their system. 

I bought in Lazada for more than five years, in fact, I bought almost everything I need in Lazada, in such a period of time it is in hundreds of thousands ฿ since for instance, I bought an Apple computer a Panasonic camera an oven a training bike, coffee regularly, never ever the smallest problem, I am in Samui sometimes its delivered in 48hours. Once I made a mistake I sent the product back and get my money back so it must not be the same Lazada :smile:

3 hours ago, racket said:

COD (Cash on delivery) is actually a preferred option for a LOT of people. Why pre-pay when you can simply pay once your parcel has arrived? I don’t see the point in which someone can get scammed with COD since you always get your package upon arrival and sign the consigned paper as well. Are they missing something here? 

The story yesterday suggested that neighbors or other people in the household would 

sign for these parcels in good faith and pass them on to the addressee when they 

returned home.

These parcels were sent out on an industrial scale, on the raid the police found

dozens of rejected COD parcels.

4 hours ago, Travel Dude said:

I have always a problem with Lazada. Never deliver on time as promised, even change the delivery date during the processing, in a sneaky way on their system. 

If you talk about the website I agree, but when you order the orders are always correct and very quick delivererd.

I am posting in response to the posts on this page that mention LAZADA:

I saw an 'Instant Pot' pressure cooker video on YouTube and decided it was a 'must haveitem of kit for my kitchen and I paid LAZADA ฿11,000 to have one shipped to me here in Pattaya. (I had better say right here and now that my knowledge of electricity is practically nil and it is limited to that of changing a battery in a flashlight). The Instant Pot was delivered - I unpacked it and read the user manual. The manual informed me that I must do something called a 'water test' before using it for cooking food. I followed the instructions and I set about this task. 

My gleaming-brand-spanking-new-Instant-Pot pressure cooker is now BURNT OUT JUNK.

The pressure cooker had been thoughtfully fitted with a (Thai style) electric plug ... two flat pins and one round pin; (well after all it was a Thai delivery address on the packing case). Recently I was visited by a pal on holiday in Thailand who just happens to be an air con and refrigeration technician and he is (very) au fair where electrics are concerned. My pal Arthur explained that I'd been shipped an article of 120 volts & 60 hertz but for use in Thailand the Instant Pot must be that of 230 volts & 50 hertz - ergo, a burnt out pressure cooker!!! This 120 volts & 60 hertz version would have been perfect for use in the USA or in Canada.  

Comments on this (my first post) are most welcome ...

... even daft ones - like take up night classes.

WBH   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NcCbTvbbtY&t=13s

[The Instant Pot was shipped from Korea]

4 hours ago, Chassa said:

I've never had a problem with Lazada!

I have ordered many things from Lazada and generally never had an issue until this year, I just received a delivery of a backpack that I ordered and it was slightly bigger than my hand, it was supposed to be a full size backpack, now that it was delivered it is not showing on the lazada screen as delivered, this is possibly turning out to be a scam

2 hours ago, finobkk said:

I have been buying from Lazada for many years

never had a problem.

now even easier, 

if you want to return an item, take to 7/11

they will return it, no problem

you can return an item if it is actually marked as delivered, if the status stays as shipped then not so easy, if you use COD check the authenticity of the person delivering  

My advise right now to anyone is not to order stuff cash on delivery

What is possibly happening is that packages are being incepted and swapped out for cheaper items cost a fraction of what you ordered

Lazada will give refunds but it is not so easy when their system shows the item was not delivered. 

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

<snip>

Unfortunately, they do not let the buyer pick or at least list their preferred shipper.  DHL seems to be very slow.  Kerry, CJ Logistics, and ThaiPost seem to be fast.

Yesterday my TVs came using Ninja Van, a Singapore company. Tracking spot on, phone in morning to arrange a fixed delivery time. Thai Post tracking never worked for me. Kerry good.

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

Kerry are okay now they have employed more drivers. 

Post office , Ha Ha . like I stated previous , I can't get my phone or true vision bill delivered . 

There is a good possibility that your problem with the phone and True Vision bills are not the Post Office at all but with True Vision itself. I had trouble with my bills being done through the post and not receiving them that I changed over to email bills and True Vision can't even send the bills by email after giving them my email address 5 times and spending an hour each time in their office to try and get things fixed I finally gave up and changed to AIS and I have not had a problem since. So it may not be the Post Office.

Back on topic!

This has been hinted at before in this thread but just how stupid does anyone of any nationality have to be to hand over money when a stranger turns up with a package about which they have no prior knowledge? It beggars belief. :ohmy:

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

Back on topic!

This has been hinted at before in this thread but just how stupid does anyone of any nationality have to be to hand over money when a stranger turns up with a package about which they have no prior knowledge? It beggars belief. :ohmy:

I agree. This entire 'news' report is very suspect. Who hands over real cash without knowing about the package or without instructions (and cash) from the recipient.

14 minutes ago, VBF said:

Back on topic!

To be fair, a neighbour has taken in a package for me before and paid the COD.  It was legit but may not have been.

also, it is against Lazada rules to open the package before handing money over, it is also against their rules to refuse to pay on delivery

Lazada needs to start getting tough on rogue traders otherwise their business will go down the shitter, fake counterfeit goods - items ordered not delivered, all these problems seem to have started when China got involved

Like others here I have used Lazada for some years and am happy with them, I was in Chiang Mai and then 2 different places here in Lam Plai Mat, and always an email(which sometimes I didnt check) but also a phone call(which the girl who delivered to my other place here got used to me just saying Im home to know it was ok to deliver), I just hope my thai speaker is here most times.

I did have one order of sealable bags that was a stuff up, I just ordered a small amount of a small size to test the waters and I was sent a much larger size, I let them know and they sent me a voucher code and said as it wasnt a large amount to keep the wrong item.

As to delivery, it is always before time, I just received 2 printer cartridges, I odered them on Tuesday afternoon they were here in my hot little hands on Wednesday morning, I was amazed at that one.

8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Just had 4 TVs delivered yesterday. COD. Tracking system spot on. Knew when driver coming. Use Lazada for years. Never a problem.

Same always been spot on, quiet often get the stuff before the expected delivery date., from memory have always had a courtesy call to make sure someones at home before delivery.

10 hours ago, madmitch said:

Does BJ have a team of photographers following him around day and night? Do any other police in Thailand make arrests or is this now his exclusive domain? Is he even real, or are those police dummies now all adorned with BJ's face?

police.jpg.81262924bb98572071d385a048b7b51d.jpg

5 hours ago, smedly said:

also, it is against Lazada rules to open the package before handing money over, it is also against their rules to refuse to pay on delivery

Lazada needs to start getting tough on rogue traders otherwise their business will go down the shitter, fake counterfeit goods - items ordered not delivered, all these problems seem to have started when China got involved

It's owned by Alibaba which is Chinese.  They have something like 86% of the shares.  Even Tesco had a stake until they sold to Alibaba this year. With a turnover of 6.3 billion dollars, I doubt whether they'll be going down the shitter anytime soon.

these problems seem to have started when China got involved

China own the company so they will always be involved unless they sell to Amazon!

17 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Authorities should look into Lazada. Something is fowl.

Not so. Shop from Lazada nearly every month for a couple years now without any unresolved problems. Once a TV had a cracked screen which we had to return, but they refunded even the return shipping cost. A couple other minor things which they also remedied or refunded quickly. 

Reliable with excellent customer service. Highly recommended. 

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not so. Shop from Lazada nearly every month for a couple years now without any unresolved problems. Once a TV had a cracked screen which we had to return, but they refunded even the return shipping cost. A couple other minor things which they also remedied or refunded quickly. 

Reliable with excellent customer service. Highly recommended. 

I have ordered 8 items in the last 8 months 5 of which were returned via 7/11 and I was refunded so yes - resolved, reasons for returns - 3 were not what I ordered, same product type but much cheaper (a bit like ordering an iPhone 8 and getting a Nubia), other 2 returns were very obviously counterfeit.

Previous 8 years - 1 return, a TV that was DOA

If that trend was to continue it would seriously limit the types of products I'd be willing to buy from them online

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Where did Lazada come from in this thread? Clearly from some people who have some frustrations with Lazada, but the thread is not related to Lazada at all.

“Don’t become a victim by paying for an unknown delivery!” Gen Surachate posted yesterday (Nov 22).

Gen Surchate specifically warned people not to sign for any deliveries they had not ordered.

“If it is not your order, don’t sign for the delivery! And don’t pay money for the delivery,” he wrote.

Being the largest online ordering business here I would think Lazada is very relevant. 

Archived