Phuket Tourist Police warn of ‘cash on delivery’ scam

snoop1130

Phuket Tourist Police warn of ‘cash on delivery’ scam

By The Phuket News

1542969412_1-org.jpg

The raid in Pathum Thani saw more than B15 million in fake goods seized. Photo: Immigration Bureau

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Tourist Police are warning people to beware a scam in which deliveries are made to people who did not order them so that the fraudsters can get the cash on delivery paid for receiving the parcels.

The warning follows Immigration Chief Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn* leading a raid on a warehouse in Pathum Thani where three Chinese national were arrested with more than B15 million in items, mostly pirated goods, seized.

The three men arrested were named as Chen Junqin, Dingnan Wang and Li Hongjing, and found in possession of 5,026 makeup kits, 1,202 electronic devices, 545 items of shoes and clothes and 614 other miscellaneous items – as well as 714 parcels already packed awaiting delivery.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-police-warn-of-cash-on-delivery-scam-69453.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-23

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Authorities should look into Lazada. Something is fowl.

IMO, Lazada is fine...managed and owned by Alibaba....

Shoppee is one of the dodgy online sites..and probably some other Thai sites.....their penetrating, corrupt advertising has infiltrated many sites.

beware a scam in which deliveries are made to people who did not order them so that the fraudsters can get the cash on delivery paid for receiving the parcels.

is it me? If someone delivered a parcel I never ordered! I wouldn't be paying for it!!

Why would you pay cash on delivery for something you did not order? Dont get that part.  Lazada has been very reputable in my experience.  Lazada will email you and call you the day they deliver - email states what is being delivered from YOUR order

COD (Cash on delivery) is actually a preferred option for a LOT of people. Why pre-pay when you can simply pay once your parcel has arrived? I don’t see the point in which someone can get scammed with COD since you always get your package upon arrival and sign the consigned paper as well. Are they missing something here? 

Had a terrible experience with Lazada. They sent an item other than that ordered. Took three

months to resolve the issue with them bobbing and weaving, straight arming me every step of

the way. Acknowledging my determination, they finally gave in. I vowed never to do business with

them again. I know of others who have had similar experiences with them.

2 hours ago, leither69 said:

beware a scam in which deliveries are made to people who did not order them so that the fraudsters can get the cash on delivery paid for receiving the parcels.

is it me? If someone delivered a parcel I never ordered! I wouldn't be paying for it!!

Looks like you're not Thai.

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

I believe what he means is Lazada might be a fine service and not knowingly involved, but these swindlers are getting valid names and addresses of victims from somewhere. You can't mail out 15 million baht of stuff without an abundant source of valid names and addresses.

1 hour ago, racket said:

COD (Cash on delivery) is actually a preferred option for a LOT of people. Why pre-pay when you can simply pay once your parcel has arrived? I don’t see the point in which someone can get scammed with COD since you always get your package upon arrival and sign the consigned paper as well. Are they missing something here? 

COD you don't open the package before paying. You sign for the package and the driver collects the fee.   If you don't trust the package, you can refuse it (return to sender).    So it is more of a guard against non-shipment.  I use it almost all the time with "ships from overseas" vendors.  Local vendors it depends.  Sometimes I'll pay up front with lazada wallet; sometimes cash on delivery.   It's definitely a good option especially for "overseas" vendors vs using alibaba or aliexpress; and some packages have arrived in as little as 5-6 days...not bad for int'l shipping.  Never longer than 2.5 weeks.

Had a problem with a vendor that decided to ship late (like over a week later, when the package was due).  I got it, but I'll let the review take care of my opinion about listing something that isn't in stock.

5 minutes ago, Gimino said:

Had a terrible experience with Lazada. They sent an item other than that ordered. Took three

months to resolve the issue with them bobbing and weaving, straight arming me every step of

the way. Acknowledging my determination, they finally gave in. I vowed never to do business with

them again. I know of others who have had similar experiences with them.

I've had to return a couple of items without any issue.  The "easy return" process is indeed easy:  7-eleven, post office, or Kerry.   Sometimes the seller can choose to just credit the cost of the item.  But you must speak up within the return period time.

A friend did say she had one issue a while back. She had ordered 2 clocks but only received one.  And spend a lot of time on the phone and email trying to get assistance.   But it was unclear whether she had initiated the claim before or after the return period.

4 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I too think Lazada is very good , however some of the delivery agents they use leave a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately, they do not let the buyer pick or at least list their preferred shipper.  DHL seems to be very slow.  Kerry, CJ Logistics, and ThaiPost seem to be fast.

I recommend cramming in some Thai text in the address line to describe where you stay.   "3 KM from Wat [whatever]" Although the Kerry drivers have gotten better at calling ahead of a COD delivery.

3 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

I'd guess you're quite unique.  We have deliveries from Lazada every week, with probably 50% using COD.  Used them for the last couple of years.  Every order has always been delivered and on time.  Lazada's tracking system is spot on.  Usually get a phone call when delivery is imminent.

I'm sure you realise that many of their goods are shipped direct from the supplier.

Explain yourself if you can.  Lazada is one of the more popular online shopping sites and very successful with it.

Archived