Where are you from ?

Thaiwrath

30 minutes ago, JAG said:

How did the poster at Victoria Railway Station go?

"Folkestone for the Continent,

Bognor for the incontinent!"

I'm from Somerset by the way - "Oi carnt read and Oi carnt roit, but Oi can droive a traactor!"

Incidentally (too late for an edit), the last words of King George the fifth, uttered as he lay on his deathbed, are reported to have been "Bugger Bognor"!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tweedle dee said:

Kirkdale !!  No 9 Suffield rd  .... dad won the pools 1962 and we upped sticks to snotty Sarfport  near the bloody gas works !! TD.

Garston me.

Actually born in the posh part (Grassendale), then emigrated to Garston itself when my parents passed away.

I'm not a Brit but I studied in London back in the 80's. 

I find people from the midlands area (Birmingham) to be charming, fun people to be around. Not sure if that is the case today. 

33 minutes ago, balo said:

I find people from the midlands area (Birmingham) to be charming, fun people to be around. Not sure if that is the case today. 

19 minutes ago, Tweedle dee said:

The place is covered in mosque's and taken over population wise by Muslims..no joke.

Nah, ignore the Faux News "muslim no go area" stuff, it's still full of charming people who are fun to be around; they just come in a lot more varieties these days.

12 minutes ago, Tweedle dee said:

The place is covered in mosque's and taken over population wise by Muslims..no joke

Sorry to hear that , not the England I remember from the 80's .

When I lived there I did some extensive travelling and most people I met were fun to chat with and curious about my nationality. 

I have good memories not only from the Midlands, but Brighton, Southampton, Cornwall , Liverpool, Manchester and even some weird accents up in the north , I can't remember , some small towns I visited , nobody understood me , and I couldn't understand a word. :biggrin:

Muslims? I can't remember I spotted one. 

38 minutes ago, balo said:

Sorry to hear that , not the England I remember from the 80's .

When I lived there I did some extensive travelling and most people I met were fun to chat with and curious about my nationality. 

I have good memories not only from the Midlands, but Brighton, Southampton, Cornwall , Liverpool, Manchester and even some weird accents up in the north , I can't remember , some small towns I visited , nobody understood me , and I couldn't understand a word. :biggrin:

Muslims? I can't remember I spotted one. 

My friend its almost at street battle level...you tube Tommy robinson for the shock effects, regards TD.

11 minutes ago, Tweedle dee said:

My friend its almost at street battle level...you tube Tommy robinson for the shock effects, regards TD.

Why do I need to watch Youtube? I spend a month or two each year in and around Brum, I still have a house in the Black Country. I grew up in Birmingham during the 60s & 70s, my best mate was half Liverpudlian half Iranian, my next door neighbours were Jewish one side, Greek Orthodox the other. We had Punjabis, Pakistanis, Indians and West Indians in my street. We had our ups & downs, but we generally got along. Yes muslims are more apparent these days on the streets of the West Midlands, I don't remember more than a hijab (headscarf) as a kid, the niqab was very rare, it's more common now, but I don't feel threatened. Everyone still talks to each other and I've not encountered any no go areas. But then I live closer to a mosque here in Hat Yai than I do or/ ever did in Birmingham and the Black Country.

2 hours ago, balo said:

I believe that you are from Norway?

A remarkable and creditable achievement, for a Norwegian to even understand them!

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

I believe that you are from Norway?

A remarkable and creditable achievement, for a Norwegian to even understand them!

Yes true but they are funny people to be around.

As most Norwegians growing up we picked a favorite English football team to support. Before my studies in London , as a kid I supported Wolves, I picked the team because I loved the orange/black colors. Back then Wolves played in the 1st division , watched the games on our small black&white TV every Saturday.  

Then when I moved to London the first thing on my mind was to travel to the West Midlands so I could watch a Wolves game.  But they had relegated to Third division and that was a shame really. I remember all those good games when I watched them on the telly. 

Anyway I went to Molineux ground, watch them lose at home to Swansea who crushed them . The few supporters there were not happy . And it got even worse for Wolves who were heading down the drain. 

After that experience I went back to London and became a Spurs fan , please don't ask me why, it just happened. I still am to this day.

3 minutes ago, booty call said:

Much like yourself then, StreetCowboy.  Diminishing returns for you on TV as I'm sure you'll agree.  

Your confidence is severely mis-placed.

To be honest, anticipating agreement from anyone on the internet strikes me as foolishness in the extreme. 

23 hours ago, akirasan said:

I come from an awesome little town in Western Australia. I miss it regularly but my wife won't leave Thailand and is scared of flying. 

People there can be a bit weird but that's part of the charm. There are a lot of artists and musicians living in the region.

Albany-ALB01f.jpg

Looks like Albany.

Another Sandgroper

Archived