Where are you from ?

Thaiwrath

On 11/24/2018 at 10:56 AM, Spidey said:

And why not indeed. Always been my favourite Englishmen, down to earth and call a spade a spade. Mind you, I've met some pretty decent Mackems, Monkey Hangers and Smoggies too. Must be the water in the North East.

I am from Birmingham - the one in England! I remember calling a spade a shovel!!

Lived in London 5 years, Northampton, 4 years, Liverpool, 2 years, in Somerset (three different towns) over 25 years.  But I have lived in Thailand for 20% of my entire life! Whatever will become of me??

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, roo860 said:

I quite like the idea of how some people get a nickname to go with the place they come from, you have Jean Claude van Damme, who's known as the 'Muscles from Brussels ', I'm from a little place called Thwat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lucky then that they didn't miss out the "h"...………!!

1 hour ago, cms22 said:

Sussex!

Me too although consider myself more a Kiwi these days...………...

Born in Horsham (Sussex), worked and lived part time in Libya and Nigeria then emigrated to New Zealand in 1984, got citizenship and moved here in 2006/7, and have been back to NZ on an annual basis for holidays, but no more now.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Bognor Regis, West Sussex known locally as a cemetery with lights. I lived there for more than forty years and distinctly remember feeling no emotion at all the day I left for good. 

I liked the Cemetary with lights. A few towns in the UK are like that.

I discovered only recently that I was originally a Paludian, although perhaps better known as the place where John Betjeman invited the friendly bombs to fall.

Or, those who are embarrassed by their heritage say they are from "near Windsor". 

On 11/24/2018 at 11:05 AM, colinneil said:

Im from thopposite side of thill frae thee lad.

Now how many know the answer?

I do, me owd sugarbutty.

Only good thing that comes out of Yaarksher is the M62 to paradise  ..

and maybe their puds.

I’m from a small village half way between Leeds and Bradford.
Proud to be a Yorkshireman ( and yes ! I am a cheap charlie ).
A beautiful part of the world, Leeds is a great city but the area is blighted with the city commonly known as “Bradistan” ! famous for its large amounts of “ colourful “ residents, the Yorkshire Ripper and the Crossbow Canibal !!

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m from a small village half way between Leeds and Bradford.
Proud to be a Yorkshireman ( and yes ! I am a cheap charlie ).
A beautiful part of the world, Leeds is a great city but the area is blighted with the city commonly known as “Bradistan” ! famous for its large amounts of “ colourful “ residents, the Yorkshire Ripper and the Crossbow Canibal !!

Don't forget The Hooded Rapist and The Black Panther.

Don't forget The Hooded Rapist and The Black Panther.

The Bradford hooded rapist was a feeble copycat of the Cambridge fella and although Donald was born in Bradford he had to travel further afield for his crimes. Although it would have been preferable for him to become famous closer to home he found there was too much competition and all the good crimes in Bradford were already taken [emoji51]

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Bradford hooded rapist was a feeble copycat of the Cambridge fella and although Donald was born in Bradford he had to travel further afield for his crimes. Although it would have been preferable for him to become famous closer to home he found there was too much competition and all the good crimes in Bradford were already taken emoji51.png

I used to work up Leeds Road in Bratfud, about spitting distance from the old abbatoir. I was living in Horsforth at the time, so I would have to pass the Panthers house everytime I went home from work. He lived just by the Thornbury roundabout. And Peter Sutcliffe lived at Heaton, a nice big semi detached house, we would have a run up and macarbely take a peek at the monsters house.

But I am originally from Keighley where we make the best beer in the world, Timothy Taylors Landlord. 

I used to work up Leeds Road in Bratfud, about spitting distance from the old abbatoir. I was living in Horsforth at the time, so I would have to pass his house everytime I went home from work. He lived just by the Thornbury roundabout. And Peter Sutcliffe lived at Heaton, a nice big semi detached house, we would have a run up and macarbely take a peek at the monsters house.
But I am originally from Keighley where we make the best beer in the world, Timothy Taylors Landlord. 

I too have to admit to taking a drive down Garden Lane to have a nosy where Petey lived !
I actually was interviewed by the police in the investigations !!
I worked for one of the 5 companies ( including the haulage company he worked for [emoji33]) that were linked with a £5 he gave to one of his victims !!
The “ interview “ was just a couple of questions to all the workforce but there were rumours afterwards that the police were interested in your front teeth as he had a distinctive gap in his and had bitten some of his victims !!
Maybe a myth but remains my claim to fame [emoji4]

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I too have to admit to taking a drive down Garden Lane to have a nosy where Petey lived !
I actually was interviewed by the police in the investigations !!
I worked for one of the 5 companies ( including the haulage company he worked for emoji33.png) that were linked with a £5 he gave to one of his victims !!
The “ interview “ was just a couple of questions to all the workforce but there were rumours afterwards that the police were interested in your front teeth as he had a distinctive gap in his and had bitten some of his victims !!
Maybe a myth but remains my claim to fame emoji4.png

The only haulage company I knew he worked for was the one on Canal Rd, Clarks Transport. I did get pulled in my car in Keighley to see if I had a Geordie accent and was in the Black Bull in Haworth when they played the infamous ripper tape. But sadly the very first of his victims was in Silsden and the woman survived and gave the police a nearly exact photofit of him, but they dismissed it.

Depends what you mean by 'where are you from'. 

I've never lived in the country I have a passport for, nor was I born there.   I've lived in several countries on SE Asia, but as a permanent resident of Hong Kong I usually say that is where I'm from.   Although I now also tell people I'm from Bangkok as this is where I live.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Bognor Regis, West Sussex known locally as a cemetery with lights. I lived there for more than forty years and distinctly remember feeling no emotion at all the day I left for good. 

i think the truth of the matter more people feel the same way as u did, i know i did. if all the other dont feel like us why dont they all go back to there home towns ?

The only haulage company I knew he worked for was the one on Canal Rd, Clarks Transport. I did get pulled in my car in Keighley to see if I had a Geordie accent and was in the Black Bull in Haworth when they played the infamous ripper tape. But sadly the very first of his victims was in Silsden and the woman survived and gave the police a nearly exact photofit of him, but they dismissed it.

Yes, the £5 note was traced to being given out as salary from 5 companies, Clarke’s Haulage, J Parkinsons ( where I worked) and 3 others.
Police interviewed Sutcliffe about this and on several other occasions but unfortunately only caught him on suspicion of stolen numbers plates when he confessed to the killings.

Archived