Where are you from ?

Thaiwrath

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Sat Nov 24 2018 at 5:44 AM, Tweedle dee said:

Kirkdale !!  No 9 Suffield rd  .... dad won the pools 1962 and we upped sticks to snotty Sarfport  near the bloody gas works !! TD.

The Germans flew over Kirkdale during the war and said, <deleted> it, somebody's beatin us to it..

On 11/24/2018 at 3:35 PM, Stocky said:

Why do I need to watch Youtube? I spend a month or two each year in and around Brum, I still have a house in the Black Country. I grew up in Birmingham during the 60s & 70s, my best mate was half Liverpudlian half Iranian, my next door neighbours were Jewish one side, Greek Orthodox the other. We had Punjabis, Pakistanis, Indians and West Indians in my street. We had our ups & downs, but we generally got along. Yes muslims are more apparent these days on the streets of the West Midlands, I don't remember more than a hijab (headscarf) as a kid, the niqab was very rare, it's more common now, but I don't feel threatened. Everyone still talks to each other and I've not encountered any no go areas. But then I live closer to a mosque here in Hat Yai than I do or/ ever did in Birmingham and the Black Country.

Completely agree with the above

i come from Dudley 13 miles away like Birmingham we grew up with and in a multi cultural society Indians Pakistanis they were muslims then as today. Was back in July for month or so saw no racial problems tensions but plenty of UK yob smashing pubs up watching the world cup 

I certainly do not know of any no go areas in Birmingham or Dudley and must admit have never felt threatened I was born early sixties  e.g my doctors were  doctor,  Pakistani Sikh Iranian Syrian and now Egyptian.

The area is famous for its friendly hospitality

Sure some problems exist BUT  mostly It was a media thing thats just been expanded over and over again 

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

I discovered only recently that I was originally a Paludian, although perhaps better known as the place where John Betjeman invited the friendly bombs to fall.

Or, those who are embarrassed by their heritage say they are from "near Windsor". 

Betjeman mistakenly felt the need to condemn industrialisation, when he penned his poem there was no M25, M40, M3, fast flowing railway links to the south west, via reading to the north and south, into London. development of Heathrow to travel anywhere in the world, now the new cross rail.....

Apparently he came to regret his words - not surprising really

'Upper Windsor' as I jokingly call it is a vibrant multi cultural community - with easy access to almost anywhere in the UK by a variation of routes and transport and the occasional waft of chocolate aroma from the Mars factory is a pleasure not received in many locations????

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Huddersfield Town

Yea! Up the Town!

Wasn't born there but was raised and went to school in Rawthorpe. Leeds Road was the first football ground that I ever went to. Have the dubious distinction of being on the pitch at the same time as Dennis Law. My Dad used to sit me on the wall at the visitors end at 3 years of age. During a particularly exciting goalmouth scramble, I jumped up and ran onto the pitch to try to put the ball in the net myself. Happy days.

51 minutes ago, federico said:

Born in Algiers, live in Paris since 6 months old; not proud, not ashamed...

You should be proud. I lost an uncle (Moroccan) in the Algerian War of Independence. Very brave to take on France and win. Two of his brothers also moved to Paris after the war.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yea! Up the Town!

Wasn't born there but was raised and went to school in Rawthorpe. Leeds Road was the first football ground that I ever went to. Have the dubious distinction of being on the pitch at the same time as Dennis Law. My Dad used to sit me on the wall at the visitors end at 3 years of age. During a particularly exciting goalmouth scramble, I jumped up and ran onto the pitch to try to put the ball in the net myself. Happy days.

That football ground still there?, I remember helping to build the new McAlpine Stadium and years later going to see The Eagles doing their Hell Freezes Over tour there.

Just now, vogie said:

That football ground still there?, I remember helping to build the new McAlpine Stadium and years later going to see The Eagles doing their Hell Freezes Over tour there.

No. Went years ago. McAlpine Stadium is now the Kirklees stadium.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:53 AM, Kwasaki said:

When asked where are you from I say I'm from England.

Born in Sudbury town Wembly, then lived North Harrow, South Harrow, Littlehampton Sussex, Kenton London, Rayners Lane Harrow, North Watford Herts and finally Sukhothai.

I was born in North Harrow, used to watch the Wasps when they played in Sudbury.

Lived in Watford 20 odd years then sold up and bought a wee house in the Highlands

20 miles from Fort William.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:05 AM, colinneil said:

Im from thopposite side of thill frae thee lad.

Now how many know the answer?

Never mind, you can't help where you were born, we'll not hold it against you!

White rose through and through - West Yorkshire. 

However, to be honest, I can't say I miss it....

On 11/24/2018 at 11:00 AM, vogie said:

West Yorkshire, I can't read, I can't write, but I can drive a tractor.

Yorkshiremans advice to his Son, 

See all, hear all, and say nowt.

Eat all, drink all, and pay nowt.

And if thar ever does owt for nowt, allas do it for thisen.

Where this comes from I really don't know???

Salt of the earth us Yorkshireman, straight shooters, no BS, tell it as we find. Probably not many diplomats come from Yorkshire.... Some would say can be tight as a ducks a.se, not true just want value for money.

Usually if a person asks where I’m from I say my Mother’s womb. 

American Southern Born and Raised..... absolutely proud of America.

OP most the time people are joking when yap at least I hope so.

Worked an Airshow at customers booth in Australia. 4 days we were picked up in the Morning hour ride to show near Melbourne (great place and I like Sydney also).

4 days 1 hour each way. 1-American 1 -Ozzie 1-Bret 5- Retired RAF.

As an American I’d got the dose daily on the bus out drinking beers

at night..... held my tongue until the last day.... Then gave them a dose, Great 4 times last show is it for me. In the semi retired mode.

Hong Kong Air show theguys from Oz had a booth. Went by one day and asked for a VB. Next 2 days a guy brought a case to our booth...

HK Airshow  wasn’t well attended flopped are two years. Second year was mostly vendors polishing off beers! 

Archived