Motorcycle noise db.

nasa123

16 hours ago, stubuzz said:

95 i think.

Correct. 95 dBA.

If anyone wants to read the actual regulation, you can find it by searching for "TIS 341-2543", here a link: https://archive.org/details/th.cs.341.e.2543

One can also note that the test is to be performed at half of the RPM at which the bike makes it's max HP (if it revs over 5k RPM). I have never ever seen any PoRoBor/DLT tester do this. Most of them measure at idle.

If you have a bike made before 1999, then the limit is 99 (or even 100) dbA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They are enforcing removal from road, vehicles and motorbike making over 90 decibels noise levels.

Above 90 db can permanently damage hearing if exposed too for periods of time. 

I haven't seen any regulation stating that the noise limit for bikes is 90 dB. My Africa Twin from factory without any modification made 95dBA when I tested it at some random PoRoBor shop. If the limit was 90 dB then a lot of big bikes wouldn't be road legal right out of the factory ????

14 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I haven't seen any regulation stating that the noise limit for bikes is 90 dB. My Africa Twin from factory without any modification made 95dBA when I tested it at some random PoRoBor shop. If the limit was 90 dB then a lot of big bikes wouldn't be road legal right out of the factory ????

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-get-tough-cars-loud-engine-noise/

20 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Correct. 95 dBA.

If anyone wants to read the actual regulation, you can find it by searching for "TIS 341-2543", here a link: https://archive.org/details/th.cs.341.e.2543

One can also note that the test is to be performed at half of the RPM at which the bike makes it's max HP (if it revs over 5k RPM). I have never ever seen any PoRoBor/DLT tester do this. Most of them measure at idle.

If you have a bike made before 1999, then the limit is 99 (or even 100) dbA.

Thanks for the link.

Poor resolution/ difficult to read the PDF tho.

Seems like they are supposed to pressure check exhaust to 30psi too?

5 5

21 minutes ago, papa al said:

Commonly, 'Cars' includes motorcycles, trucks, etc in Thai English.

Car = motor vehicle.

Yea the common "everything is the same, what's that accuracy you speak of?" ???? And then you have also the "someone translated a Thai article where some journalist quotes some relatively low rank police officer who received training from another agency". No chance something got lost on the way ????

But the regulation seems pretty clear to me unless it was superseded by something newer but I couldn't find anything.

29 minutes ago, papa al said:

Thanks for the link.

Poor resolution/ difficult to read the PDF tho.

Seems like they are supposed to pressure check exhaust to 30psi too?

5 5

That's just the preview thingy inside the page. On the right you will find download links for various formats. Try this one for example https://ia601901.us.archive.org/12/items/th.cs.341.e.2543/th.cs.341.e.2543.pdf

And yep there are regulations about material thickness, corrosion resistance, pressure leaks etc. Actually not too bad.

4.3 Workmanship 

4.3.1 The product shall be of good appearance

I would argue a lot of exhausts look like crap ????

23 hours ago, nasa123 said:

What is the legal high db limit on motorcycle / car in Thailand.

Just out of interest: Why do you like to know?

It seems Thai police make up regulations like they want them.

I am pretty sure they would measure your bike just the way they want. If they want it to be "too loud" they will hold the microphone directly to the exhaust and rev it to the max. And if that is not enough they will "adjust" their meter to make sure your bike it too noisy.

Sure, you can tell them that is not the way it's supposed to be measured and all that. But do you really think that will convince a Thai police officer?

Probably the easiest solution is to give the officer 100B or 200B and he will hold the mike far away and measure your bike in idle: Perfect, not too loud, you made it. ????

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just out of interest: Why do you like to know?

It seems Thai police make up regulations like they want them.

I am pretty sure they would measure your bike just the way they want. If they want it to be "too loud" they will hold the microphone directly to the exhaust and rev it to the max. And if that is not enough they will "adjust" their meter to make sure your bike it too noisy.

Sure, you can tell them that is not the way it's supposed to be measured and all that. But do you really think that will convince a Thai police officer?

Probably the easiest solution is to give the officer 100B or 200B and he will hold the mike far away and measure your bike in idle: Perfect, not too loud, you made it. ????

Most police are after quick money. If you drag it out and are 100% in the right and there's nothing else to fine you for, chances are they'll get annoyed and let you go. They have more prey to catch that doesn't mess around and just pays ????

What would they do, take you to the police station where you argue more with them? Their supperiours will probably also wonder why they waste their time instead of collecting more money on the road.

But it's important to stay polite all the time. If you piss them off then they also just want to piss back and everyone loses.

If you of course have a non road legal exhaust then your choice is between paying up and trying to bullshit your way out of it.

Overall I have found the police around Thailand to be very friendly towards big bike riders. I have met quite a few police officers off-duty at group rides. Actually I just came back from one where one guy was a police officer. His Ducati probably exceeded 95dBA by a tad bit ????

It might be different in BKK?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Most police are after quick money. If you drag it out and are 100% in the right and there's nothing else to fine you for, chances are they'll get annoyed and let you go. They have more prey to catch that doesn't mess around and just pays ????

What would they do, take you to the police station where you argue more with them? Their supperiours will probably also wonder why they waste their time instead of collecting more money on the road.

But it's important to stay polite all the time. If you piss them off then they also just want to piss back and everyone loses.

If you of course have a non road legal exhaust then your choice is between paying up and trying to bullshit your way out of it.

Overall I have found the police around Thailand to be very friendly towards big bike riders. I have met quite a few police officers off-duty at group rides. Actually I just came back from one where one guy was a police officer. His Ducati probably exceeded 95dBA by a tad bit ????

It might be different in BKK?

90% I have no problem with the police. They stopped me often enough for not riding on the inner lane and most of the time they were happy with 100B. Sometimes they write tickets, I guess they need that for their statistic, and I can live with that.

I think they never pulled me over for no reason at all. But then again I seldom ride on the left side lane so they have already a reason.

I agree with arguing for a long time you might pay nothing. But in my experience that really takes a long time. And if I have the choice to argue with them for 15 minutes or giving them 100B and I am gone in a minute I know my choice. ????

One time the police stopped me with my gf on the back and they wanted to check her for drugs. There was no obvious reason (she does not take drugs and she does not look like she takes them). But that was an argument with more and more people around. It ended with me and the police agreeing we sort this out at the police station and driver there on our bikes. We all know we wouldn't do that but I guess that was the face saving solution.

Edited by OneMoreFarang